“Much inferior to other budget hotels”

Holiday Inn Express Exeter
Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Southend-on-Sea
“Much inferior to other budget hotels”
Reviewed 17 April 2012 via mobile

I was very disappointed in this hotel. In just about every way it is inferior to a Premier Inn, yet is more expensive. My room was small, with a double bed, small towels, no bath, noisy aircon/heating, ancient TV a I think the kettle was once white plastic (it isn't now). Even the plug sockets aren't in convenient locations - people use hair straighteners in front of mirrors these days you know.

In contrast, at aforementioned hotel chain, you get a decent sized room, superking bed, large flat screen TV with freeview (and you can bring your own films on USB stick and watch them on it) good sized towels and a decent breakfast.

The only things to recommend this hotel are location and free wifi (which I understand is a recent thing). It's just very tired looking. I won't be coming back.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Meglet74

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Greek first
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I have stayed in many Holiday Inns over the last few years, here and in the States, and I'm pleased to say this matched any of them. I book at HI Express because you know exactly what you're getting in terms of room comfort, layout, breakfast etc and none of it disappointed.

We stayed here as it was just a couple of miles from the airport so great from location point of view. We had to leave early in the morning and were told that the hot items for breakfast wouldnt be there until 7am, but the other cold stuff would be. I was disappointed as I look forward to the scrambled eggs etc, but thankfully everything was out when we came down anyway :-)

Good hotel and no reason not to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back should overlook a grassy area/pond rather than the car park at the front.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Last year I wrote a 'poor' review and was invited back by way of an apology - last year was a bad one. I recently undertook the offer with reserved feelings. Arrival was good, reception staff very friendly, so far so good. Room was a bit on the small side but that was because the double sofa bed was used for my daughter. It was clean and well presented. The dining area and basically the whole building was exceptionally clean but I do have one MASSIVE point to tell anyone reading this review. I was staying over a Bank holiday weekend. The hotel expected 90 guests. They had 170. They performed miracles with the breakfasts and dining area. They regularly checked the levels of food and how hot it was. They were so busy keeping it ticking over, that I hope they were treated to a nice long drink afterwards. WELL DONE TO YOU ALL FOR THIS ALONE!!!!
I would now totally recommend this HIEX to all, but don't all rush at once as I would like to stay again next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Check website and book executive room if available.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
MeghanWilliams, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I am delighted that we have restored your faith in our Hotel! As explained your previous experience is not an experience that is delivered to our guests under usual circumstances.

We do have a limited area to accommodate our guests for breakfast however our fully trained team are ready to anticipate our guests needs and ensure breakfast is fully stocked and our guests are happy.

I have pass on your great comments to my team, they find positive commentsextremely motivating especially with the busy periods coming up.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Thank you again.

Debbie Hamnett
salisbury, u.k.
Reviewed 7 April 2012

stayed here for one night in march. contacted hotel prior to booking to ask how to get there using public transport and was given number of a local taxi firm which was very useful as park and ride had finished when i arrived in exeter. rooms very clean. nice breakfast. would stay again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
MeghanWilliams, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave here your comments for everyone to read.

It is great that our local taxi firm were useful, we do endeavour to use the same taxi firm for our guests to ensure a high service is met and any feedback is easily directed.

Thank you again for your great comments regarding your room and breakfast, all feedback is greatly appreciated and we are sure to share this with our team.

We look forward to seeing you again at Holiday Inn Express, Exeter.
Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel is centrally located for a trip to Devon. It's only 5 minutes drive from the M5 and very close to the airport. It's easy to visit Exeter City Centre with the park and ride situated right across the road. (Thoroughly enjoyed the museum!). Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice and the staff all very friendly and helpful. Great value for money for a family room which included breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
cornwall
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Ideal location for the airport. Reception staff helpful and polite. Room was basic but clean and included what you needed for a short stay. Whilst there was a choice of pillows - soft or hard - they are cheap. Bed was comfortable enough. Plenty of parking and great pub next door.

Breakfast was a bit chaotic due to everyone arriving at the same time - however, the food was adequate and there was enough choice.

Not a luxurious stay by any means but I would certainly stay here again for one night.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.

I am pleased you found our Hotel in an ideal location and it is great to hear our team were helpful and polite towards your needs.

I apologise you feel the pillows are not up to your standard, these are all relatively new to the Hotel, however I will be sure to feedback your comments to our provider.

I am pleased, although busy, our breakfast offer met your expectation. We are an incredibly busy Hotel and aim to ensure our breakfast buffet levels are always to our guests satisfaction.

It is great to read you would use the Hotel again, and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Portreath
Reviewed 29 March 2012

A very good overnight stop close to the airport. Rooms clean and comfortable, good breakfast the next day. Staff were very friendly, polite and helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo