“Great staff”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Great staff”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

This was our 5th stay at the hotel and unfortunately had a problem with our room this time. The room did not seem to be to the same level of décor as our previous stays and the carpet did seem pretty stained. But as it was one night and we did check in early we just excepted it.
The problem started when we tried to go to sleep. The room was next to a boiler and about every 20 minutes the boiler fired up which at first does startle you. This was impossible for me to sleep through. I am a light sleeper and when booking in I did ask for a quiet room!!
Anyway I rang down about 12.45am and a very nice man came to the room with a new room card so we could go there to sleep. Unfortunately this room was cold and heating too noisy to keep on. Then at 6.30 we had noisy neighbours. Not the hotels fault there.
Anyway on checking out I handed my cards into Laura who knew all about the problem and was very good in dealing with this very professionally. Thank you.
Breakfast was thank goodness not as busy as previous stays but I must mention as do many others that the orange juice is terrible.
Its a shame we had problems this time but for the way it was dealt with I am sure, price being right we will stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience at our Hotel.
I am disappointed to read that this stay was not up to your usual enjoyable stay with our Hotel. I would be very grateful to know which bedroom it is that you stayed in most recently so I can assess the quality; we work very hard to maintain our Hotel and keep all bedrooms up to a high standard. I do sincerely apologise you were disturbed during your night’s stay, however I am pleased that our 24 hours guest services team did manage to move your bedroom immediately to prevent any further inconvenience to you, I can only apologise that you then had noisy neighbours.
As a team, we pride ourselves in our Service Recovery and if any guest is unhappy with their stay we aim to recover that situation so our guests leave our Hotel happy to return. I am so pleased that you felt that Laura and the team involved did this for you.
Please do contact me directly when you are next visiting the area and I will arrange your next stay with us.
Kindest Regards
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Greek first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This was the second time this year we had stayed at this hotel and I would say that it was better than our previous experience. The last time we stay we had a Family Room, but this time we went for 2 interconnecting rooms. This proved to be a good choice as it meant that our 2 children, aged 6 and 4, had plenty of space to play in whilst my wife and I got ourselves ready in the mornings.

Check-in was quick and efficient and our rooms were always clean. Breakfast was good and whilst we were there, you didn't have to wait too long for fresh batch to arrive of anything that had run out, such as sausages. For us the location was ideal as it was near the M5, but it may be an issue for anyone who wishes to visit the city centre. We were visiting relatives for Christmas and the direct line to a local taxi firm that the hotel has, made sure we were able to book the taxis we required over this period.

Overall it was a pleasant experience with the friendly and helpful staff. As my 4 year old son said, for us the Holiday Inn was a "comfy home".

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
It was great to receive your fantastic feedback, we love to hear our guest experiences with us and I will be sure to share this with the team!
I especially love your son’s comments ‘a comfy home’, I am so pleased you were all made to feel welcome.
Kindest Regards
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

Second visit and again this hotel never fails to amaze me. Immaculate rooms am the staff are so friendly, nothing is to much for them. Free wifi is a bonus, the free breakfast is also very good. Will defiantly be back.

• Stayed December 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express for three weeks on business during December 2013 and found it to be convenient for access to the airport and not too far out of Exeter City. If you are visiting as a tourist you may want to be closer to the city. It is too far to walk from this hotel into the city.
The rooms are comfortable and clean. I had a double bed with sofa. Nice LED TV and plenty of channels to watch.
If you have not stayed in a HI Express before, note that there is a shower only. But having said that, my room was bigger than some Holiday Inn rooms I have stayed in elsewhere.
WiFi is free and is OK for email, but slows down with traffic in the evening making Skype a bit slow.
Breakfast is not very exciting and on every other day the croissants were stale.
The service at the reception desk is excellent.
If you want to be near the airport you could probably stay for a cheaper rate at the Hampton (Hilton) which is new and not at all busy but it is completely isolated.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Seaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

We just needed a cheap stay before a busy day -
The biggest draw was the price... It was significantly cheaper than others, and included breakfast, bonus!
Once we arrived, check-in was efficient and the room was clean.
The pub across the way is lovely and serves nice food, but it was busy in the bar area.
The mattress was way too hard, so uncomfortable that we hardly slept a wink (but strangely enough our little girl slept well!)
Woke up feeling groggy and tired, looking forward to breakfast... It wasn't what I'd hoped for. No direction from staff, it was a free for all. Items of food on offer were not replaced once they'd been used, when I came to get some breakfast, I had a choice of Beans or Croissant.

Overall, I'd not rule out staying again, purely on the cost basis.

Stayed December 2013
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review on Tripadvisor.

I am disappointed that you left our Hotel unhappy with your stay, as we do love to leave a positive, lasting impression on our guests.

Your comments regarding our Free Breakfast buffet and bed condition concern me and I would really like to know when you stayed with us to be able to discuss this with my team.
Please can I ask you contact me directly.

Many thanks
deputy@expressexeter.co.uk
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Stayed here for one night recently as a family of 4 with 2 teenagers. Paid under £100 for 2 rooms including breakfast which I considered to be very reasonable. Hotel is very close to junction 29 of M5 and has a good pub next door. We had adjoining rooms with a connecting door. Room was good with a comfortable bed and a decent shower. Breakfast was fine but with a fairly limited selection, a mixture of hot and cold.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Martin W
lincoln
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I arrived at the Hotel at 18:20 to find that their car park was full and that several other drivers were waiting for someone to leave such that they could park. Given that I had been up for eleven hours and had driven many miles this was hardly a relaxing start to my stay.
Once I managed to park and get to reception the check-in process was efficient and my room was comfortable.
Breakfast was a bit grim, why use really really cheap bread. I toasted two slices but found it to be overly sweet hence did not eat, what a waste.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business