“Great value for money.”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Great value for money.”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed for two nights Friday and Saturday. Firstly check. Very quick and easy. The receptionist, Aimee was very helpful. I had forgotten my phone charger and she managed to sort me out with a spare. It helped me out a lot. Obviously you have to return it.
Onto the room. Very clean a spacious. Good idea how you can close the door to the toilet and still use the rest of the bathroom. Hard to explain but good idea. Not enough tea bags and sugar but not a problem. Two negatives- when running the tap you'd get a whiff of the drains up through the plug hole. Not sure what the problem was. Didn't notice it till the second day. And the toilet would always need a couple of flushes. It was as if there wasn't enough water in the cistern.
Breakfast - plenty on not too busy. I never had a problem getting a table. All self serve. Toast, cereals and limited hot food. They had sausage, scrambled egg and beans. Ideally it could of been better with a couple more items like bacon and hash browns to make it more substantive. The room was quite cheap so I wouldn't of minded paying an extra couple of quid per night for more hot food.
Twenty minutes away from exeter on a Saturday morning. We got a taxi to the town centre and it cost £10. If your not in a rush there is a park and ride opposite the hotel. Don't know how much it is and I imagine not much slower than a cab. No idea on cost though.
Ideally located off the motorway. About a minute. We had room 238 and it was very quiet with the window shut. You can hear a bit of traffic with it open but not enough to bother you. It had aircon which seemed to dry my throat out. Switched it off the second night. Bed very comfortable.
Free newspaper by reception.
Thank you Aimee for the loan of the charger.

Room Tip: 238 was quiet. Not sure if the one off whiff was a one off. Near to the lift but not that close wh...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick P
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your review of your most recent stay with us.

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is fantastic that you recognised one of my colleagues in your review, Aimee will be so pleased to be recognised for delivering great customer service. Every member of the team will always do their very best to give you anything you need to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

I am sorry you could smell something from the bathroom; I have sent our maintenance technician to the room you stayed in to ensure the pipes are cleaned as this is not what we would wish our guests to experience. I have also asked him to adjust the flush to ensure no other guests experience and issue with the flush on the toilet.

I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast, at the Holiday Inn Express we offer an Express Start breakfast; this consists of continental items such as toast, cereal, fruit and pastries along with 3 hot options of sausages, scrambled egg and baked beans. The great thing about the Holiday Inn Express is that this is all free of charge.

Thank you again for your kind review. We welcome all feedback and we use this to monitor the service we provide to our guests. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel when you are next in the area.
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Hotel is in an excellent location. Close to park and ride bus into city. Friendly staff. Comfortable room. Great value. Breakfast is fine for the cost. Only slight drawback for us was the room was very warm. Wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again though.

1 Thank SarahS58
Thank you for sharing your online review regarding your most recent stay with us.

It is great to hear you found our team helpful and the room both comfortable and great value for you. We have a number of great deals on throughout the year, these are all available on our website, or please feel free to give us a call directly at the hotel.

We do have air conditioning in all of our guest bedrooms which may stop the room from becoming too warm, alternatively we can provide stand-alone fans, you can call a member of the team at any time of the day or night and we can happily provide this to you.

It is great to hear you will use our hotel again, I look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you again for your kind review.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Second time here. The hotel is very well located on the outskirts, with a bus stop into the city across the street. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel staff is helpful and friendly. There is a nice pub/restaurant called The Barn Owl next door.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your online review.

I am so pleased you found your room spacious and clean. The housekeeping team work so hard to maintain the excellent standards we provide in Exeter, they really pride themselves in the cleanliness of our hotel. It is also fantastic you found the team helpful and friendly.

We share our car park with The Barn Owl, it is so convenient for our guests to walk over there for a meal to save travelling into the city for meals, they too are on Tripadvisor and love to hear your reviews.

Thank you again for your feedback, we value the comments of our guests which we share regularly with all the team members. Together we can then improve and continue to deliver an excellent guest experience each time.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

As HIEX places are concerned, we visit here quire a lot and it is usually good. On this occasion it was very good except for a sofa bed. Clean, Food was hot and did not need to keep asking for top ups on the buffet. Hotel was busy but staff kept on top of things and regularly cleared tables.

When I had an issue with pillows, they were replaced promptly and I got a good nights sleep. Only downside was from my 11yo daughter who said that the sofa bed was uncomfortable. This is a common theme with HIEXs and Travelodges.

This might stop us revisiting as she likes to sleep in a proper bed.

Room Tip: If you have a disability, ask for a ground floor room as when we went, the lift was out of order.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your online review regarding your post recent stay with us.
It is great to hear your room was clean and you enjoyed your breakfast.

I am so sorry your daughter did not have a good night’s sleep. I would really be grateful if you would contact me directly with your room number so I can examine this sofa bed. We have mattress enhancers that are available for your room, the next time you book with us please give me a call or email in advance and I can make sure we put a mattress enhancer on the sofa bed prior to your arrival.

We also have interconnecting rooms which may suit your needs as your daughter grows up.

Thank you again for your review.
deputy@expressexeter.co.uk
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Some things good, some things bad here!

Good points:
1. Friendly and helpful staff. Lift was out if order and the receptionist offered to carry bags upstairs to our room.
2. Close to M5 and Park & Ride bus service which stops conveniently in the centre of Exeter.
3. Excellent value meals at the adjoining Barn Owl pub although service can be a little erratic!

Negatives:
1. Poor sound insulation.
2. Noisy air conditioning
3. Breakfast overcrowded and staff couldn't cope with clearing tables and replenishing food; the staff who were on duty we're working really hard – just not enough of them.
4. Poor location of power sockets; only one socket on the desk which has to do for the kettle too
5. Fire alarm one morning – we were told due to electrical issues in one of the guest rooms – sounds odd?

In summary the staff and location make this place and this in itself will make me want to return if visiting the area again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review regarding your most recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.

It is fantastic to hear you found the team here helpful and friendly. Unfortunately during your stay our lift developed a fault and we had to call out our external contractors. This unfortunately left the lift out of service during a busy weekend; however the team were always at hand to help our guests with their luggage.

I am sorry you found breakfast busy. The fire alarm sounded in the morning which did lead to a large volume of guests coming down at once to enjoy our free Express Start breakfast; despite the teams efforts this did lead to a wait at the breakfast area, however our team were on hand during the morning and did their very best to get everyone seated and enjoying their breakfast as soon as possible.

The next time you stay with us please request an extension lead from our reception team, we will be able to provide this for the duration of your stay so you have more sockets in the room to use.
Thank you again for your review, I do hope we can welcome you back to our Hotel when you are next in the Exeter area.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at this Holiday Inn on the 17 April which was the evening before we fly to Tenerife. We arrived at 2.30 pm, parked our car easily, booked in and were given our keys by a receptionist that just didn't want to get involved with any kind of conversation at all.

Our room was on the ground floor (No 8) which was really close to the Reception and the entrance. I did think at the time that it may cause us a problem with noise. The room itself was lovely, it was clean, spacious, soft pillows, lovely en suite bathroom and up to the usual standard we have come to expect from Holiday Express Inns we have stayed in.

We went into Exeter for the afternoon before coming back to think we would be able to get a meal at the holiday inn, as you can in most of the holiday inns. We were told, once again by a quite miserable receptionist that they could offer us a pizza or we could ring for a takeaway. This being the case we went to the Barn Owl Inn next to the Holiday Inn and had a really wonderful meal with excellent friendly service.

We had a 7.00 am flight the next day but had already been told not even a continental breakfast would be served till 8.00 am.

We went to bed around 10.00 pm to enable us to be up early for our flight but why did we bother! Until at least 1.00 am we were kept awake by laughing, chattering, clattering about by the Reception Staff (which is fine but don't put guests in a room next to Reception). People were also coming in the entrance next to our room until late which is another reason not to put guests in that room. We would have been better sleeping in the car or travelling from Swansea to Exeter during the night because we had hardly any sleep at all and when we got up at 4.00 am we felt totally exhausted.

This Holiday Express Inn was certainly a disappointment and not at all like any others we have stayed in.

There is a good Hampton by Hilton near the airport so will be trying that next time.

Room Tip: If they give you a room on the ground floor refuse it, especially near to the Reception and entrance...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 27 April 2014

Our guests experience is our priority at the Holiday Inn Express Exeter, we strive to welcome each and every guest warmly into our hotel. Please allow me to apologise that you felt this did not happen. Please be assured this is not the standard we deliver to our guests, as I mentioned previously our team are passionate about our guests and we do not wish any guest to walk away from our hotel with a less than pleasant experience.

Your room is located quite close to the reception area, however there are doors at the end of the corridor that prevent the noise from reception continuing through the corridor, I will of course be talking with the team members to reaffirm our policies with regards to closing the doors in the evenings as this really does eliminate any noise. We want all our guests to leave our hotel feeling refreshed for their onward journeys and I am so sorry that you were disturbed during your stay.

We are currently unable to provide full evening meals, however we do offer a snack menu of pizza, chips and sandwiches made to order. As we are unable to provide the evening meals, our team is on hand to recommend local take away companies or other establishments where you could dine.

I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly to discuss you stay further as the points you have raised really do concern me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

deputy@expressexeter.co.uk
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Stayed 3 nights recently over Easter - great value for money at less than £150 for 3 of us including breakfast for the whole stay. Staff were really helpful and polite and great to have free parking too. Our room and shower room were spotlessly clean with a sofa bed made up for our daughter. Some road noise as very close to the road that takes you out to the Airport but equally very easy to drive into Exeter or out to Topsham etc, very well placed and right oopposite the Park & Ride into Exeter if you prefer not to take the car. Good TV in our room and excellent tea and coffee making facilities. For a no-frills, reliable and friendly place to stay - highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for submitting your online review on Tripadvisor.

It is great to hear such a positive review regarding both your room and the team here in Exeter. I will share your review with the team who are all passionate about delivering a warm welcome to our guests and excellent service throughout their stay.

We have a number of great offers on, particularly those you book in advance; it is fantastic to hear you were able to take advantage of one of these offers.

I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel when you next need accommodation in Exeter.
Thank you again for such a kind review.