“Three rooms”

Holiday Inn Express Exeter
Ranked #7 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. We have found it clean, functional and with efficient staff. The breakfast choice is adequate. This trip we booked 3 x double rooms through their online service and were happy with all aspects. We also felt the rooms were value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms were found to be quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Adrian B
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and it is great to hear you are a loyal guest returning to us again.
We have a number of offers available throughout the year , these are available directly through our website or please feel free to give us a call, we are always on hand to get you the best deal available for your stay.

Thank you again for your review, please check our website for our latest offers the next time you need to stay in Exeter.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed regularly at this hotel for the last 12 months and always enjoy my visit. The staff are very friendly and eager to please.

Having stayed over the last weekend the hotel was very busy but the team went out of their way to ensure that I had everything I needed. Both Aimee and Laura went out their way being amazingly helpful and always have a smile and a laugh.

Will always choose this hotel when staying in Exeter and look forward to seeing the team when I do.

Would definitely recommend this express hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AndrewC1969

Thank you for sharing your most recent review about your recent stay with us.

It is fantastic to hear you mentioning my colleagues’ names, both Laura and Aimee always deliver exceptional customer service, they are really passionate about ensuring each guest has the best guest experience, they will be delighted to read your review.

Your review is so important to us and it is lovely to read that you would always choose us when you need to stay in Exeter, I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Holiday Inn Express during our four-day trip to Devon. We chose the hotel due to its central location, as we wanted to visit nearby Dartmoor National Park and coastal towns Exmouth and Torquay. We were very pleased with the overall stay: a nice and comfortable room, complimentary breakfast and parking. The ladies at Reception were very friendly, and they helped us make a number of travel arrangements. What is more, they accept pets, so we could bring our puppy along! We would certainly recommend the hotel, and look forward to our next stay!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cpc_27

Thank you for sharing your online review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in Exeter, our location is great for breaking up a journey but also perfect distance from the locations you visited with such easy access to the main roads.

Our 24 hour guest service team work hard to ensure every guest has a great experience when they stay with us, we have plenty of maps and travel information to hand to help you get on your way to visiting the sights Devon has to offer. I am delighted our team were able to provide this to you during your stay.

We do allow dogs in the bedrooms for a small charge and we are happy to allocate you a room that is easy for you to take you dog out for walks.
I look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit the Exeter area. Thank you again for your review

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed for two nights Friday and Saturday. Firstly check. Very quick and easy. The receptionist, Aimee was very helpful. I had forgotten my phone charger and she managed to sort me out with a spare. It helped me out a lot. Obviously you have to return it.
Onto the room. Very clean a spacious. Good idea how you can close the door to the toilet and still use the rest of the bathroom. Hard to explain but good idea. Not enough tea bags and sugar but not a problem. Two negatives- when running the tap you'd get a whiff of the drains up through the plug hole. Not sure what the problem was. Didn't notice it till the second day. And the toilet would always need a couple of flushes. It was as if there wasn't enough water in the cistern.
Breakfast - plenty on not too busy. I never had a problem getting a table. All self serve. Toast, cereals and limited hot food. They had sausage, scrambled egg and beans. Ideally it could of been better with a couple more items like bacon and hash browns to make it more substantive. The room was quite cheap so I wouldn't of minded paying an extra couple of quid per night for more hot food.
Twenty minutes away from exeter on a Saturday morning. We got a taxi to the town centre and it cost £10. If your not in a rush there is a park and ride opposite the hotel. Don't know how much it is and I imagine not much slower than a cab. No idea on cost though.
Ideally located off the motorway. About a minute. We had room 238 and it was very quiet with the window shut. You can hear a bit of traffic with it open but not enough to bother you. It had aircon which seemed to dry my throat out. Switched it off the second night. Bed very comfortable.
Free newspaper by reception.
Thank you Aimee for the loan of the charger.

Room Tip: 238 was quiet. Not sure if the one off whiff was a one off. Near to the lift but not that close wh...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick P

Thank you for sharing your review of your most recent stay with us.

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is fantastic that you recognised one of my colleagues in your review, Aimee will be so pleased to be recognised for delivering great customer service. Every member of the team will always do their very best to give you anything you need to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

I am sorry you could smell something from the bathroom; I have sent our maintenance technician to the room you stayed in to ensure the pipes are cleaned as this is not what we would wish our guests to experience. I have also asked him to adjust the flush to ensure no other guests experience and issue with the flush on the toilet.

I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast, at the Holiday Inn Express we offer an Express Start breakfast; this consists of continental items such as toast, cereal, fruit and pastries along with 3 hot options of sausages, scrambled egg and baked beans. The great thing about the Holiday Inn Express is that this is all free of charge.

Thank you again for your kind review. We welcome all feedback and we use this to monitor the service we provide to our guests. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Hotel is in an excellent location. Close to park and ride bus into city. Friendly staff. Comfortable room. Great value. Breakfast is fine for the cost. Only slight drawback for us was the room was very warm. Wouldn't hesitate to use this hotel again though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SarahS58

Thank you for sharing your online review regarding your most recent stay with us.

It is great to hear you found our team helpful and the room both comfortable and great value for you. We have a number of great deals on throughout the year, these are all available on our website, or please feel free to give us a call directly at the hotel.

We do have air conditioning in all of our guest bedrooms which may stop the room from becoming too warm, alternatively we can provide stand-alone fans, you can call a member of the team at any time of the day or night and we can happily provide this to you.

It is great to hear you will use our hotel again, I look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you again for your kind review.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Second time here. The hotel is very well located on the outskirts, with a bus stop into the city across the street. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel staff is helpful and friendly. There is a nice pub/restaurant called The Barn Owl next door.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your online review.

I am so pleased you found your room spacious and clean. The housekeeping team work so hard to maintain the excellent standards we provide in Exeter, they really pride themselves in the cleanliness of our hotel. It is also fantastic you found the team helpful and friendly.

We share our car park with The Barn Owl, it is so convenient for our guests to walk over there for a meal to save travelling into the city for meals, they too are on Tripadvisor and love to hear your reviews.

Thank you again for your feedback, we value the comments of our guests which we share regularly with all the team members. Together we can then improve and continue to deliver an excellent guest experience each time.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

As HIEX places are concerned, we visit here quire a lot and it is usually good. On this occasion it was very good except for a sofa bed. Clean, Food was hot and did not need to keep asking for top ups on the buffet. Hotel was busy but staff kept on top of things and regularly cleared tables.

When I had an issue with pillows, they were replaced promptly and I got a good nights sleep. Only downside was from my 11yo daughter who said that the sofa bed was uncomfortable. This is a common theme with HIEXs and Travelodges.

This might stop us revisiting as she likes to sleep in a proper bed.

Room Tip: If you have a disability, ask for a ground floor room as when we went, the lift was out of order.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your online review regarding your post recent stay with us.
It is great to hear your room was clean and you enjoyed your breakfast.

I am so sorry your daughter did not have a good night’s sleep. I would really be grateful if you would contact me directly with your room number so I can examine this sofa bed. We have mattress enhancers that are available for your room, the next time you book with us please give me a call or email in advance and I can make sure we put a mattress enhancer on the sofa bed prior to your arrival.

We also have interconnecting rooms which may suit your needs as your daughter grows up.

Thank you again for your review.
deputy@expressexeter.co.uk