“Fantastic little gem ” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Ideford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic little gem ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I was in Exeter for a meeting and was recommend this hotel. The service from the reception was fantastic everyone was so friendly. The room was clean and fresh. I only had about 10 minutes for breakfast as my meeting was early but from what I saw it was very good will be going back and will be recommending this hotel

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.

I am so pleased you chose our hotel for your accommodation in Exeter. The team here work hard to ensure each guest is warmly welcomed into our hotel; it is great to read you had a fantastic experience and you found everyone friendly.

I hope the next time you stay with us you are able to relax and take your time to enjoy our free Express Start breakfast.

Thank you so much for your review and thank you for wishing to recommend our hotel to others. I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Greek first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We broke up the long journey down to Cornwall and stayed here last night, WOW! it was wonderful, we usually stay at a Travel Lodge or Premier Inn and this was about a thousand times nicer.

Comfortable beds with a choice of pillows and the children's bed was made up and waiting (we usually have had to make our own when staying at the TL) - this was everything a stopover hotel should be, plenty of towels, hot water, tea and coffee and spotlessly clean.

Breakfast was relatively simple but plenty of choice and the tea and coffee machine was suprisingly good quality. Every member of staff we encountered (not many as we weren't there long) was friendly, helpful and efficient.

I would certainly choose to stay here again - it's a shame we were only there for about 9hrs!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us.

It is great to read a review from a new guest trying our hotel for the first time. I am so pleased you found your accommodation comfortable and clean. When we have families staying with us we will always make the sofa bed up for your arrival, also we supply additional towels and tea and coffee making facilities, I am so pleased that this was appreciated.

Thank you for your comments regarding our breakfast, we provide a free Express Start breakfast to all our guests, this is a mixture of a wide range of continental breakfast items and 3 hot choices of scrambled egg, sausages and baked beans, just what you need for a great start to your day.

I hope that you will come back and visit us again when you next need accommodation in Exeter.
Thank you again for your review.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Handy for everything in the area. Good pub with good food across the car park. Pity its gone non smoking though and everyone has to stand out the front by the entrance to puff away at the number one sin in this new society of ours. Keep your window closed if you happen to get one of the rooms above or around the entrance or your room will fill up with smoke pretty fast. I've said this before but the law still does NOT say that hotels have to be non smoking but these non smokers are determined to change the world into their idea of utopia....I do find myself wondering when the oh so perfect people of this world are going to concentrate on the fat people and maybe start making them eat out the back where we can't see them..... Good luck with that.
But the hotel is nice though 10/10.....Will be back

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your online review regarding your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and you scored us 10/10. Indeed the law does not state that each room has to be non-smoking however we took the decision a couple of years ago to remove the smoking rooms from our hotel as they were not as popular as the non-smoking rooms. We have set up a smoking area to the side of the building to ensure that no guest comfort is compromised. This is something that the team here monitor closely to ensure this is adhered to.

Thank you again for your comments, I am so pleased that you will be returning to stay with us again. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Usk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel. We have found it clean, functional and with efficient staff. The breakfast choice is adequate. This trip we booked 3 x double rooms through their online service and were happy with all aspects. We also felt the rooms were value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms were found to be quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Adrian B
ExpressExeter, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Exeter, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and it is great to hear you are a loyal guest returning to us again.
We have a number of offers available throughout the year , these are available directly through our website or please feel free to give us a call, we are always on hand to get you the best deal available for your stay.

Thank you again for your review, please check our website for our latest offers the next time you need to stay in Exeter.

Shropshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed regularly at this hotel for the last 12 months and always enjoy my visit. The staff are very friendly and eager to please.

Having stayed over the last weekend the hotel was very busy but the team went out of their way to ensure that I had everything I needed. Both Aimee and Laura went out their way being amazingly helpful and always have a smile and a laugh.

Will always choose this hotel when staying in Exeter and look forward to seeing the team when I do.

Would definitely recommend this express hotel.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AndrewC1969
Thank you for sharing your most recent review about your recent stay with us.

It is fantastic to hear you mentioning my colleagues’ names, both Laura and Aimee always deliver exceptional customer service, they are really passionate about ensuring each guest has the best guest experience, they will be delighted to read your review.

Your review is so important to us and it is lovely to read that you would always choose us when you need to stay in Exeter, I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Holiday Inn Express during our four-day trip to Devon. We chose the hotel due to its central location, as we wanted to visit nearby Dartmoor National Park and coastal towns Exmouth and Torquay. We were very pleased with the overall stay: a nice and comfortable room, complimentary breakfast and parking. The ladies at Reception were very friendly, and they helped us make a number of travel arrangements. What is more, they accept pets, so we could bring our puppy along! We would certainly recommend the hotel, and look forward to our next stay!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cpc_27
Thank you for sharing your online review.

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in Exeter, our location is great for breaking up a journey but also perfect distance from the locations you visited with such easy access to the main roads.

Our 24 hour guest service team work hard to ensure every guest has a great experience when they stay with us, we have plenty of maps and travel information to hand to help you get on your way to visiting the sights Devon has to offer. I am delighted our team were able to provide this to you during your stay.

We do allow dogs in the bedrooms for a small charge and we are happy to allocate you a room that is easy for you to take you dog out for walks.
I look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit the Exeter area. Thank you again for your review

Aylesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed for two nights Friday and Saturday. Firstly check. Very quick and easy. The receptionist, Aimee was very helpful. I had forgotten my phone charger and she managed to sort me out with a spare. It helped me out a lot. Obviously you have to return it.
Onto the room. Very clean a spacious. Good idea how you can close the door to the toilet and still use the rest of the bathroom. Hard to explain but good idea. Not enough tea bags and sugar but not a problem. Two negatives- when running the tap you'd get a whiff of the drains up through the plug hole. Not sure what the problem was. Didn't notice it till the second day. And the toilet would always need a couple of flushes. It was as if there wasn't enough water in the cistern.
Breakfast - plenty on not too busy. I never had a problem getting a table. All self serve. Toast, cereals and limited hot food. They had sausage, scrambled egg and beans. Ideally it could of been better with a couple more items like bacon and hash browns to make it more substantive. The room was quite cheap so I wouldn't of minded paying an extra couple of quid per night for more hot food.
Twenty minutes away from exeter on a Saturday morning. We got a taxi to the town centre and it cost £10. If your not in a rush there is a park and ride opposite the hotel. Don't know how much it is and I imagine not much slower than a cab. No idea on cost though.
Ideally located off the motorway. About a minute. We had room 238 and it was very quiet with the window shut. You can hear a bit of traffic with it open but not enough to bother you. It had aircon which seemed to dry my throat out. Switched it off the second night. Bed very comfortable.
Free newspaper by reception.
Thank you Aimee for the loan of the charger.

Room Tip: 238 was quiet. Not sure if the one off whiff was a one off. Near to the lift but not that close wh...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick P
Thank you for sharing your review of your most recent stay with us.

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. It is fantastic that you recognised one of my colleagues in your review, Aimee will be so pleased to be recognised for delivering great customer service. Every member of the team will always do their very best to give you anything you need to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

I am sorry you could smell something from the bathroom; I have sent our maintenance technician to the room you stayed in to ensure the pipes are cleaned as this is not what we would wish our guests to experience. I have also asked him to adjust the flush to ensure no other guests experience and issue with the flush on the toilet.

I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast, at the Holiday Inn Express we offer an Express Start breakfast; this consists of continental items such as toast, cereal, fruit and pastries along with 3 hot options of sausages, scrambled egg and baked beans. The great thing about the Holiday Inn Express is that this is all free of charge.

Thank you again for your kind review. We welcome all feedback and we use this to monitor the service we provide to our guests. I hope we can welcome you back to our hotel when you are next in the area.