“Hidden Gem”

Matford Belvedere
Matford Belvedere
Ranked #35 of 68 Exeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Arriving at the Matford Belbedere we were greeted enthusiastically by the owner. Once shown to our room, hot refreshments and home made cakes were provided in the conservatory where we were treated to unrivalled views across the countryside. The owner had good knowledge of the area and was able to provide details of where to eat in the evening, had we needed it. We were provided a key to come and go as we pleased and the twin beds were so comfortable it was one of the best nights sleep for a long time! Breakfast was laid out for us in the morning and a time we had chosen and was top notch. The owner could not have been more welcoming and would love to return to this wonderful B and B

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 2littlegeese

Reviewed 28 October 2013

What a lovely little Bed and Breakfast this one is. Stayed overnight whilst visiting the Kit Car Show. Both my wife and I thought it was in a perfect location, quiet with beautiful views across the valley. It's run by a host who imparts just a little bit of 'old England' which was a pleasure and very civilised. Tea served in proper cups and saucers and a breakfast cooked with only the best ingredients. Spotlessly clean. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Only has one room but more than comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank richardhollywood
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Stayed one night here midweek, this is a delightful alternative to the hotels and larger B & Bs in Exeter itself. I was made very welcome by my landlady after my long drive and the nicely decorated twin room provided me with a comfortable night's stay. Breakfast was excellent and I had a brief look at the splendid view from the house before heading into Exeter.
Just a few notes re the house's position -
It is up a narrow lane and the driveway entrance is slightly hard to spot in the dark, (the best indication that you are getting near is that you reach the top of the hill),
The A379 and Topsham Road are slow moving at peak times, I allowed 30 minutes to reach County Hall on Topsham Road and just made it within that time leaving the B & B at 8.45am, (it's much quicker to reach the city centre and M5 during off peak periods)
There is some traffic noise from the M5, this is in the background and the house is double glazed so it didn't affect my sleep at all despite being fairly sensitive to noise
Overall, this was a lovely place to stay and was very good value indeed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Corb2000
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Made a stop for one night on way to Cornwall only wished it could have been longer. very warm welcome Tea on arrival very welcome after a long car ride sitting in the conseratory with its beautiful view was so relaxing. such a comfortable stay in lovely surroundings lovely home. (ate supper in local pub) English breakfast thank you for a great start to our holiday

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank marian c
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I were stuck in Exeter for the night with nowhere to stay. I found this b&b on the internet and decided to give it a go as we had no other choice. Despite having receiving us at a very short notice (well, we just turned up on the drive) Francis was very welcoming. She served us tea in china cups with silver tableware. The only twin room had two comfortable beds, and tasteful antique furniture. The room has its own bathroom. In the morning Frances served us lovely full fry-up early enough so we could still comfortably catch the coach from Exeter. (the city is only 15 minutes dtive away). What a lovely stay for just £60 for two!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Made to feel very welcome by the truly charming lady owner. Only one bedroom, but absolutely spotless, very comfortable, with wonderful views to open countryside. Bathroom well equipped. Very good bar and restaurant facilities just minutes away. Breakfast exceptionally good. Stayed on my own this visit but can't wait to return with my wife. Will not hesitate to recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Only one room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Pedrolutterworth
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I found this B&B on Laterooms as it was near the convention I had to attend on the Saturday - I stayed there Saturday night as a lone traveller for one night. The place is located at the top of a hill giving amazing views over the valley below. The hostess is absolutely adorable - had a pot of tea made for me on my arrival with homemade biscuits which I drank in the conservatory admiring the considerable view. The room was very comfortable, tv and refreshments and the hostess kindly swapped my pillows as I am allergic to feathers! I ate dinner with my friends at the nearby Devon Hotel which does a lovely carvery. Breakfast was a full english, with cereal and grapefruit, juice and tea - and as a lovely surprise - a cadburys cream egg for me as it was easter sunday! Thank you so much - will look forward to going back.

Room Tip: Only one available
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo