“Wine complaint”

Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Please improve the quality of the wine by the glass - the white wine was really nasty stuff!!! Did not eat there so cant comment on the food. Location is good and there is a car park which is a big plus. A good value hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review - I'm surprised to read your comments regarding the wine quality. We have a specific fine wine menu called 'Les Grand Vin' which showcases excellent wines at competitive prices by the bottle and the glass. I will make sure it is more prominently promoted going forward. We look forward to welcoming you back for a glass of Les Grand Vin soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

stayed over the easter week-end and the hotel was fairly busy, but no problems checking in.All the staff where great,nothing to much trouble.Large clean room with walk in shower.Used the pool,jacuzzi and sauna,busy but still great.Good breakfast selection,but a bit on the steep price side at £15 per person(unless you can negotiate a better price).After the first night we asked at reception for softer pillows for the bed ,which they changed immediatly and was impressed that the receptionist had remembered our names and room number from the previous day.Close to the city centre/ cathedral.Excellant location, first class service.Definately stay again when visiting this part of the country.Parking on site a plus but at £10 a bit steep.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I'm pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and hope we can welcome you back soon. We make a charge for our secure car parking in order to keep our bedroom rates as competitive as possible. We hope to welcome you back to Exeter soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break recently. Hotel is in a great central location, staff were very helpful and rooms were of a decent size. In general the hotel was very clean.
Swimming pool was quite small but nevertheless okay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest
Thanks for your recent review; I pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel's location ideal for the city centre. I hope we are able to welcome you back again soon.
Kind regards
Fiona Darde

Reviewed 2 April 2013

We stayed here on Saturday for 1 night, the hotel is great, contemporary decor and modern rooms, the only downside was that although the room was clean the bathroom looked like it had been rushed and was not spotless. Breakfast was great lots of choice and lovely, there was free wi-fi, parking was £10 a day for hotel guests which surprised me, location was a 2 min walk from the centre of the city, Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is always a pleasure to share positive feedback with the entire team. We look forward to welcoming you back to Exeter in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a sat and sun night. When we arrived the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a privilege room and it was very nicely decorated and had all of the usual comforts and more as with a privilege room you also get a nesspresso coffee machine, however only 3 pods to use each day, other tea and coffee making facilities, complimentary water and a selection of soft drinks in the mini bar. The bathroom had a nice walk in shower so you'll be disappointed if your a bath lover. The decor of the rest of the hotel is very nice and modern including the bar area which was very welcoming. We used the pool and jacuzzi which were nice, the gym was fairly small but did have all of the usual cardio machines and a small selection of weight machines. The hotel website and information in the room advertises spa facilities but these are no longer available and haven't been for some time so you will be disappointed if you were hoping to have any treatments or massages, the hotel really do need to update the information regarding this. We didn't sample the restaurant in the evening but we had breakfast each morning, on he first morning, sun, it was a bit chaotic as they were fairly busy, the hot buffet had run out of bacon, hash browns & mushrooms & they didn't appear to be keeping an eye on the levels too well. They also took an age to ask us if we wanted tea or coffee, we eventually attracted the attention of a waitress who got us our coffee but we had nearly finished our breakfast by the time we got it. The breakfast on the mon morning was a lot quieter and they coped much better and everything was available from the hot buffet. The food was very nice on boh mornings however. All in all we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel as it was clean, comfortable with extremely helpful and friendly staff and it also very centrally located. If we go back to exter, which we no doubt will as we had a fantastic weekend, we would be happy to stay at he southgate again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Stayed here on business. I chose this hotel because it has parking and was close to the centre. Got off to a fairly bad start as they charged me £10 to park overnight. If you're leaving in the morning try to park in the local authority car park across the road for £2.50. I can understand why they might charge conference guests or people only stopping for a meeting but when you've paid the room rate you should be able to park for free. That aside, check-in was smooth and I went to my room which was smart enough. At this point I wish I'd spent a bit more time in my room instead of going straight out for dinner otherwise I'd have noticed the noisy fan in the bathroom. Once I'd returned in the early hours I went to bed only to find that I couldn't sleep because of the noisy fan in the bathroom. It was late and I couldn't be bothered to move rooms so I put up with it. Breakfast in the morning was chaotic but of a good standard and check-out was also smooth. I got one of those survey requests through the next day asking how my stay was so I thought I'd fill it in and tell them about the fan. The manager emailed me afterwards to apologise and said that she'd got someone to fix it - no offer of another night in another Mercure or anything like that though even though I'd probably have slept better in my car (and I was paying £10 for it to be there so why not?). Below par this time although I'm sure many others have had enjoyable stays here.

Room Tip: Check your room fan as soon as you get in the room, it runs 24/7 so if it is noisy you won't sle...