“good central location”

Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 22 February 2014

First time we've stayed here - the reception staff were excellent, very helpful and polite. Easy walking distance of city, although the car park is £10 a day. Comfortable room and a swimming pool and sauna too! Good value and I would book again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for your reveiw, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We make a charge for car parking seperately, so that our guests can compare our room tariff with the other central hotels who are not able to offer car parking.
We look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Devon.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I'll continue to use the Mercure when I'm in the Devon/Cornwall area. It's comfortable, well located, and has a decent car park - but avoid the 5th/6th/7th parking places under the trees unless you enjoy hosing bucketloads of incontinent seagull droppings off your car. The reception staff are cheerful, efficient and helpful. Comfortable bed. Desks are cluttered up with Nespresso impedimenta and you have to hunt for the tea making stuff - a sigh of the times. The chair you need to use if you have desk work is completely inappropriate, far too low with no sides or back support. Good bathroom and shower. Good wifi in the room though not in the dining area.

I've finally given up on the restaurant. The waiting staff are cheerful but poorly managed and don't seem to have had any proper training, so they can't be relied upon to convey your wishes to the kitchen accurately or spot when you've finished your soup and need to move to your next course. The "casterbridge" rump steak in my experience is tough and poorly flavoured, and if you want anything rare or "bleu" - well, you're out of luck, it will come out grey (i.e. inedible by my standard) because of "health and safety". The standard accompaniment (see pic) is absolutely dire, soggy, oil-saturated prefabricated "chips" and really gross, oily onion rings. No green veg is available, just "winter veg" -i.e. carrots.

So.. on my next stay I'll be venturing out to the local restaurants, or picnicing in my room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear John
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay at Mercure Exeter. I am pleased to learn that many aspects of your stay met your expectations.
I am sorry to learn that the steak you were served was not cooked to your requirements and the traditional accompaniments were not cooked well. I have highlighted youre feedback to the Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to ensure they address the obvious training needs with their teams. It is of course possible to have alternative accompaniments such as vegetables with your meals.
Despite your reservations about your evening mea, we hope you will give the restaurant another chance on your next stay.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed here for my boyfriends 30th. Needed to be in Exeter due to activities booked the following day but wanted a real luxury stay somewhere. This hotel seemed the best in the area whilst looking online. When I phoned up to book I made a point of wanting the most modern room available and they assured me all the rooms had been recently renovated. Upon arrival we were actually very impressed, the lobby and dining area were gorgeous. We had to queue 25 minutes to check in however, but there was a large group in front of us so wasn't really a major issue, i guess we didn't need to be anywhere in a hurry. When we were taken up to our room however we were really gutted. It was so small and (although you could tell it had been decorated fairly recently) old fashioned in its design and the bed was two singles pushed together?! We took a moment and tried to see the positives and give the place a chance (we stayed in the best hotel of our lives only 3 months prior so possibly our expectations were high- though we paid less to stay there and it was in London) upon reflection we called down to reception and asked to be moved to a nicer room. They showed us several rooms available and to our disappointment they were all identical. I felt like a rubbish girlfriend having picked a this hotel to stay in. I must say however the room itself was extremely clean and the shower room was really fresh and modern (though no bath) but the room was completely average- but you don't expect below average when you pay nearly £350 for two nights and £10 a day for the car park! Also no help was offered to take our bags to the room, which again isn't an issue but considering the price paid I would expect someone to have offered to help me.

Conclusion?
Wouldn't recommend and wouldn't stay here again unless it was incredibly discounted.
Sorry!

• Stayed: November 2013
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Southgate and I am delighted that you had such a positive first impression of the hotel. I am sorry that you were not happy with the room that you had reserved and been allocated but I am pleased that our Front Office staff took the initiative to show you a selection of the rooms that we have available here. We do offer a concierge and porter service to our guests which is available on request at the front desk.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to visit us again at The Southgate when we will do our utmost to ensure you have a pleasant and relaxing stay.

Kind regards,

Amy Gleadow
Operations Manager

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We stayed here for valentines night on the valentines package, we were looking forward to time to ourselves in peace and particularly liked the late checkout time of 2pm.... But .....

Our room didn't have the wine or a rose in that should have gone with the chocolates! Which was disappointing.

We went for dinner and were sat by the door where everyone cued to be seated which wasn't ideal but we had a nice evening anyway. The food was lovely and nicely presented but my main meal was cold! It wasn't even warm, I think it had been sat there for a while!

At 6am a man was running through the corridor moaning and shouting, we managed to get back to sleep but was then woken by housekeeping!!! Why they would knock on the door of a valentine package room that was only staying one night I don't know! So our nice lay in was not to be!

We then waited for our breakfast in bed which was ordered between 9.30 and 10, it never came! We had to ring and order again.

We also didn't get our newspaper!

When checking out they tried to charge us for the meal that was included then tried to charge us for a bottle of wine we never had!

So it was a bit disappointing service wise but the hotel itself was lovely, the staff downstairs where lovely and I loved our bathroom.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Southgate and sharing your recent experiences with us. As you know I have responded to your e-mail directly but should you wish to discuss your recent stay in further detail I would be delighted for you to contact me on the following number 01392 412812.

Kind regards,

Amy Gleadow
Operations Manager

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have stayed here three times and enjoyed each stay. The situation is ideal for shopping or sightseeing around Exeter. There are plenty of restaurants nearby. As for the hotel itself I found the staff very polite and helpful, the room comfortable ( had a very good sleep ) and the swimming pool clean and warm. I can especially recommend the breakfast as long as you don't have to pay the price advertised! I will be visiting again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda G
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Linda
Many thanks for your generous review following your third visit; I'm so delighted you find the hotel's facilities and location so pleasing.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My fiance and I stayed at The Mercure Exeter Southgate over the weekend for one night whilst visiting friends. Staff at reception were very friendly, informative and happy to help with any questions we had.
The hotel was extremely busy this weekend and this showed during the breakfast service. We had to wait to be seated for a while but when we finally sat down the breakfast was really lovely with lots of choice and the service was great.
We stayed in room 366 which was spacious and clean with a comfy bed, the only downside to this was the sound of the bathroom fan which couldn't be turned off at all which disrupted our sleep.
All in all the hotel is lovely to stay at, its in a great location and we would definitely come back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent weekend break. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay but sorry to hear you were slightly delayed at breakfast.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you were disturbed by a faulty bedroom fan - this has been fixed already; thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.
Despite those minor hiccups, we hope you will come back to stay again soon.
Kind regards
Fiona Darde

Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the weekend and can't fault it. Food excellent and plenty of choice. The staff were excellent, check in and out was quick. The location is perfect, right near the cathedral. If I'm going to be very picky our room could have done with lick of paint. Will certainly stay here again. Thanks for a nice weekend!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MEWA44
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Guests
Many thanks for your positive feedback, we're delighted you enjoyed your weekend with us.
We wil certainly ensure your room is added to the painting schedule and addressed promptly. Many thanks for bringing this to my attention. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards