Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel
US$80
US$98
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
US$90
US$87
US$112
US$90
ClarionHotels.com
Jurys Inn Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$84
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
2,185 results
All reviewsprivilege roomjacuzzi and saunaleisure facilitiescar parkcity centrelovely hotelper daygood sizenespresso machinewalk in showerreception stafflocation is excellenton site parkingthird floorfew minutes walkbuffet stylestayed for one night
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stopped off for one night on the way south having booked effortlessly on line. Other family members including young children also stopped there. The hotel is very easy to find, very conveniently located for the City and has a good car park (paying). The staff were all excellent, very friendly & helpful. The room was very clean, comfortable, well equipped & quite spacious. Furnishings are rather dark & traditional. We arrived just after lunchtime so had plenty of time to site see followed by a swim in the good sized hotel pool.
My wife and I ate in the restaurant in the evening. The lady who sorted us out was superb. The dining room décor was very mdrn & new. The food was served very efficiently & was really good. The presentation & size of the meals was a little toward "Nouveau Quisine" ie very attractive & tasty but not huge! Buffet breakfast was great.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Mike
Thank you for your glowing feedback, we are so pleased to learn that you have found the hotel and an place to stopover en route to Cornwall.
We hope to welcome you back on your return journey.
Kind regards
Fiona Darde

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here with family (2 adults / 2 children 4 &1 years old), booked via the Accor main number, being an Accor member it's a quick call as they have my details and the staff are always extremely helpful.

The hotel is in a good central location, walking distance to the city centre and car parking is secure although the £10 charge is a tad steep.

Interior and rooms are well looked after, decorated to a high standard and very very clean - no complaints here.

My only issue was that we had booked a cot for the room which was there when we arrived but inside was a mattress with no sheet and a double duvet again with no cover and a pillow, again with no cover. I doubt many 1 year olds sleep in a cot with a large double duvet so had to call to ask for a sheet to put over the mattress in the cot and removed the duvet and pillow. The hotel also knew there were 4 guests staying but only provided towels for 2, so again had to call for extra towels. That said they did arrive within 10 minutes of the request.

Swimming pool was a great addition and we all enjoyed using these facilities the next morning.

Breakfast was very good with plenty on offer for everyone.

Room Tip: Away from over looking the entrance to the carpark barrier.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear J0
Thank you for your review and positive comments regarding the hotel, facilities and service. I am so sorry that the cot was not prepared properly ready for your arrival - I have discussed your feedback with the Executive Housekeeper who has pledged to improve the checking process going forward.
The room was checked and recorded as inspected prior to your requests being actioned - please accept our apologies for this oversight, I am pleased to learn it was addressed promptly when your highlighted the issue.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention so we can continually improve our service.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Comfortable rooms, but the bathroom in my room needed a thorough clean. Staff are on-hand and are helpful. The lounge/bar is comfortable but can get crowded. The hotel is slightly above average and compares well to others in Exeter. My only complaint is the parking arrangement - the car park is too small for a hotel of this size, so I had to wait about 20 minutes for somebody to leave, and then the hotel charges an addition £10 per night for guests. Given that this is not a cheap hotel I was surprised that there is an additional cost added to your total bill.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ray W
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear RW

Thank you for your feedback following you recent stay; I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall. Thank you especially for your positive comments regarding the service staff.
I am sorry if you found the car parking a challenge at one stage in your stay- it is generally absolutely fine as there are 100 spaces at the hotel. We charge seperately for car parking as we are the only hotel with a large onsite, secure car park. Charging seperately enables our guests to compare our bedroom prices accurately with the other hotels in the centre, who are unable to offer this facility.
Please expect my apologies that your bathroom was not immaculately clean on arrival, I will certainly share your feedback regarding the cleanliness of your bathroom with the Executive Housekeeper so she can review procedures and training immediately.
Thank you once agian for your feedback, we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in due course.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

THE Mecure, Southgate is the most expensive hotel in Exeter (perhaps with the exception of the Magellan Chapter which is more appropriate for the Essex massive) that I have frequented in the last few years. It is also the best. Big comfortable rooms, big comfortable beds, good restaurant (not too expensive), friendly and helpful staff, lovely waitresses with good and early English breakfasts. It is also well located, only a few minutes’ walk from the Quay or the city centre. I like this place so much that I have booked it for another week although like many hotels it is hard to comprehend the variation in nightly prices. BUT – why no biscuits in the room? Why £10.00 for the car park for residents and why no bath in the room?
Simple things (maybe not the bath) that would make this place a little better.
I fully recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank anthony M

Dear ME & ERR
Thank you for your positive review, we are delighted that you hold the hotel and our team in such high regard.
We charge seperately for car parking so that our room rates can be accurately compared with the other hotels in the marketplace, who are not able to offer ample secure onsite parking.
We do have some classic bedrooms with bath tubs, however these are rather more traditional in design with overhead shower. Like the airlines, we price our rooms according to a demand-based model so peak nights such as Tuesdy, Wednesday and Saturday are likely to me more expensive. I hope this clarifies the nightly variation.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Warm & efficient welcome. Great room, well appointed & comfortable.
Good service in the bar & restaurant. Staff all very pleasant & helpful.
Good breakfast choice.
Only gripe, they charge for parking.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Dee Dee
Many thanks for your glowing review - we are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us.
We make a seperate charge for parking so our guests are able to compare our rates accurately with the other hotels in the city centre who are unable to offer this facility.
We hope to welcome you back soon