“Good quality hotel”

Reviewed 29 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
2  Thank Eddie R
Fiona D, Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times during the last four years for work. But this time I decided to combine my stay for business and pleasure. My husband came with me and we stayed for two nights. I am very pleased we did, as I realise that when I stay for work I have never really taken the time to speak to the staff who are so friendly and very helpful. A particular favourite of ours was Charlie in the bar - really great guy who made our stay even better. We are at the hotel one night and the food is very good. Plenty of choice for breakfast too. Rooms are clean and overall the hotel service is excellent. I will really appreciate coming back later this year for my next stay - thank you Mercure Southgate for making our stay so pleasurable!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsTerry51

Dear Ms Terry,

Firstly, my sincere thanks for such a glowing review! I am so happy that you managed to combine your recent business stay with a little pleasure.

Secondly, Charlie will be absolutely thrilled to have been mentioned personally and singled out for his exceptional service. Thank you.

I now look forward to being able to welcome you and your husband back to The Southgate in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Amy Gleadow
Operations Manager

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We needed to stay in Exeter overnight and booked this hotel due to its proximity to the city centre. We were not disappointed! The hotel is situated just behind the cathedral and thus within only a few minutes walk from the main shopping area, but you would not have known as we did not experience any noise from the street. Our room was air conditioned which being a humid evening was very welcome. The room itself was well provisioned having a hairdryer and iron/ iroing board provided. There was free wifi. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel has a gym and a pool but we just ran out of time to try these. Would definitely stay again if in Exeter again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kevin H

Dear Kevin,

Many thanks for your positive review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will ensure that the staff have sight of your kind words as it is praise such as this that we strive to achieve at The Southgate.

I do hope that you will visit us again; perhaps you will be able to stay for longer to take full advantage of the gym and pool!

Kind regards,

Amy Gleadow
Operations Manager

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Ideally located hotel near to City centre.Very comfortable room and good levels of service.Good parking facilities.Food is good but not excellent so may be best to dine around.Rooms facing the cathedral side are the quietest.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
3  Thank Mary Banks
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Mary
many thanks for your positive review following your recent stay with us.
We are all delighted you found the hotel and location to your liking and hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards
Fionda Darde

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Didn't start well as had to wait till 3.30, an hour after check in, to get our room. That on top of the fact we got there around 10am.
Staff we're not rude I guess indifferent would be the word. Bar staff friendly but served a £65 bottle of champagne that wasn't chilled enough. I know we should complain at the time but when you are with a group you don't want to cause a scene and you would have thought that anyone behind a bar would know that champagne should be served cold at least!
The room had not been cleaned properly and there were hair bands from the previous occupants on the floor. Only two towels for three people in the room, I could go on!
The final nail is £10 parking for staying in their hotel. If you need the money stick it on your already considerable bill don't take every opportunity to fleece your guests, actually guests isn't the word anymore is it?

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Elphers

Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback regarding you recent stay, I am sorry for your obvious disappointment.
I am sorry that you experienced a delay on receiving your bedroom; this certainly should not have happened as all rooms are usually ready by 14:00 which is check in time. I appreciate you arrived at the hotel at 10 am and I sure you can appreciate that as check out is not until midday and it was graduation week, room were not available prior to check in time. Nethertheless it should have been ready on time. I would also like to sincerely apologise for the oversights with your bedroom cleanliness, this is completel unacceptable and our housekeeper has asked to be associated with our apology to you.
The Pommery vintage Champagne should be served at the temperature of around 6 degrees in order to really appreciate the notes of the wine, I wish you had highlighted your desire for the champagne to be cooler at the time and we would certainly have replaced it for you.
We make a seperate charge for car parking so our guests can accurately compare our bedroom tariff with those of the other hotels in the marketplace who are unable to offer secure ample car parking in the city centre. This is clearly detailed on our website and confirmations, and indeed many times on TripAdvisor so it a charge which we are transparent about. As not all our guests arrive by car, many prefer the charge to be made seperately.
Despite your reservations with your experience, we would be pleased to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed at the hotel recently with my wife for five nights and had a really good break. Excellent service the room which was spotless overlooked the cathedral which at night was lit up. The buffet breakfast was well worth the price. A good place to use as a base for exploring Exeter and Devon. will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the cathedral.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Beverley N
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Mike
Many thanks for your glowing review following your recent five night stay. We are absolutely thrilled to hear that everything was to your satisfaction.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at this hotel recently for four nights and had a great experience. Excellent location next to the cathedral with a short walk to the City Centre's shops and restaurants. We stayed in a lovely Privilege room. The only slight disappointment was the weak shower pressure but this is a minor detail. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was also very good value for money. We will definitely stay here again on our next visit to Exeter.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jon D
Fiona D, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Jon
Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent four night break with us.
We are so pleased to learn that you enjoyed the hotel facilites and location in the heart of Exeter. Many of our guests enjoy being able to stroll around the city from the hotel.
We will carry out routine checks on the showers are the pressure is usually very good at the hotel; thank you for bringing this to my attention.