2,370 results
All reviews privilege room jacuzzi and sauna leisure facilities car park city centre per day lovely hotel good size walk in shower kippers reception staff nespresso machine location is excellent third floor few minutes walk standard room public areas
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

Great hotel, with good facilities, walking distance to town centre. Friendly helpful staff. Clean and tidy rooms, late check out compared to other places. Swimming pool and gym. Would definitely recommend.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Craig F, General Manager at Mercure Exeter Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Dear CarolMunday
Thank you for your lovely feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel.
I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2018

I stayed at the Mercure Southgate when dropping my daughter off in Exeter to start Uni there. We arrived around 9pm on a Sunday night to find the Hotel absolutely buzzing. The one lady on Reception did well, working her way politely and efficiently through a que of people (which we were at the end of), she had clearly had an exceptionally busy shift.

We were given room 18 and were greeted with a “fusty” smell on entering it. Apart from the strange smell as we entered the room (it was not so strong once properly inside), the room was basic, comfortable and clean. The reason for the smell became apparent the next morning. My daughter showered and was horrified, on wiping the shampoo from her eyes, to see the water pouring out of the shower tray, flooding the floor and making it’s way to the bedroom carpet. She managed to make a “towel barrier” and disaster was averted. I imagine this must have happened in this room before and the carpet been soaked, hence the smell. I reported this to Reception and someone attended the room whilst we were out for the day so thankfully there were no floods on the following two mornings of our stay. The shower cubicle and shower itself were an absolute pleasure, one of the largest and best I have had in a Hotel of this type.

Breakfast on the Monday morning was a bit of a joke. We ate at 8.15am and were lucky to find a clean table. The dining room was half full, the other half, full of used tables still cluttered with dirty crockery, cups and breakfast remnants. The continental buffet was almost empty, no fruit, yogurt finished, no croissants, it was a poor show. Get more staff Mercure! The two in attendance were quick to help but one young lad was new to the job and rather overwhelmed and the other young lady far too busy to help him. Thankfully the following two mornings were slightly less chaotic - I wasn’t full of hope so perhaps just pleased to find a table and expectations were low. Still no croissant to have with my breakfast coffee (although thankfully there were plenty other things to chose from the following mornings) and still a hunt for crockery which strangely appears to be in short supply!

I commend the Hotel staff who were doing a great job under the circumstances, they were understaffed so having to juggle lots of balls at once. Don’t stay here if you are looking for a tranquil and comfortable haven. I felt like an extra at Fawlty Towers!

Room tip: Don’t stay in room 18!
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Jackrussell871

Dear Jackrussell871

Thank you for your constructive feedback. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations.
I have discussed your feedback with the team to ensure that improvement has been made.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the future to restore your faith in the Hotel. Please email myself direct on H6624-GM@accor.com on your next visit to Exeter so that I can personally ensure that your next stay is more enjoyable.

Reviewed 21 September 2018

We stayed at the Mercure Exeter Southgate for 4 nights. The location is good - within walking distance of the centre of Exeter. The rooms are comfortable, spacious and quiet. The bathroom looked as if it had been updated quite recently. We did not eat in the restaurant. There is plenty of car parking available on site, but they charge 12 pounds a night, which we thought was quite steep. Avoid parking under the trees along the road - we did the first night and came out the next morning to find our rental car covered in bird muck!
I booked only a week before, when we had to change our travel plans, but was happy with the rate charged.
The woman I got when I checked in was rather frosty and not friendly or helpful. The guy on checkout was good, and pleasantly helpful when the barrier on the car park failed to let us out! I think he could see we were in a hurry and I was not impressed with the failure of the car park exit ticket!
We would use this hotel again, but are probably unlikely to be returning to this area.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear roaming_kiwi58
Thank you for your constructive feedback. It is great to see that you enjoyed the quality of the bedrooms and our central location.

(A fellow kiwi)

Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

This is a quintessentially high-end English hotel with the Exeter theme throughout. The staff are professionals, the buffet breakfast is one of the best I've ever had and you can order from the kitchen too (kippers are good), the room is cosy and quiet, the bar is posh and they seem to do everything on the menu really well. I'm given to complaining when I have the chance but I can't find anything wrong with this hotel.

Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Robert H
Thank you for your lovely feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel.
It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay - in particular the service and the quality of the kippers!

I Hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 20 September 2018 via mobile

This is a perfectly reasonable hotel, well located in the centre of Exeter and within a short walking distance of the Cathedral, which was important to us.

We were there for three nights and chose to eat in the restaurant on the first evening. We were somewhat alarmed when our waitress said, when she came to take our order that she had been rushed off her feet and that they were really short staffed. There weren’t many guests in the restaurant but there was an obvious need for more waiting staff.

The food, when it arrived was ok but not exceptional and that was much the same at breakfast over the following three mornings. The breakfast buffet offered plenty of choice just not great quality.

The rooms are pretty standard for a Mercure hotel, a grade up from budget but certainly not luxury.

The worst experience was in the bar on our second evening when the queue for service stretched out into the lobby and there was only one person serving. It took 20 minutes to get a drink. Only when the queue had almost disappeared did extra help arrive but the pile of empty glasses remained at the end of the bar. Not what you expect in a quality hotel.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear WingcoNick

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your recent visit to the Hotel.

Please be assured as a management team we have looked into your comments and action has been taken to ensure that the problems with staffing have been resolved.

I hope that we can welcome you back to restore your faith in the Hotel.