“Excellent Location!”
Review of ABode Exeter

Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 12 September 2012

The Abode is situated in the centre of Exeter right on the stunning Cathedral Yard, ideal for visiting and exploring Exeter. The hotel doesn't have a car park but you can stop outside to check in and drop off your luggage and there is a car park a short walking distance away. The rooms overlooking the Cathedral are worth booking for a beautiful view but ask for a quiet location in the hotel as it is a very old building some areas can be a bit noisy. The staff are friendly and helpful and the food is excellent. I do feel however, that the rooms are a little overpriced but I would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Book a quiet room overlooking the Cathedral if you'd like a good view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2012

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the ABode Exeter and look forward to welcoming you back to the ABode Exeter when next you are in Devon.

ABode Exeter

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stayed 30th August having booked a meal for our joint birthday treat then deciding to stay as well. Checked in by a rather over the top receptionist who gave us a disabled room which in itself was O.K. but if I had been a disabled person shown that room I would have been VERY disappointed. The room was dark and dingy with a dark and dingy wet room. The carpet was stained and filthy. The windows were grimy with the outsides covered in cobwebs with no view other than the ancient alley between the hotel and the pub next door. It did have a huge bed,however, which was nice. The receptionist was very "sniffy" when we asked to change rooms which was not because it was a disabled room but because it was smelly, grubby and with a wet room when we wanted a room with bath. They then gave us a more acceptable room overlooking the cathedral. The hand basin was really tiny and we swamped the toilet every time we washed. The shower screen over the bath was fixed which made it really awkward to get in and out of said bath and there was no means to wash hair other than a full shower!! The noise from the bar beneath was very loud but it did stop quite early.
The service in the bar and restaurant was very good - pleasant helpful people but price and portion size seem to be going in different directions. A lot of high star-rated restaurants do very good amuse-bouches, starters and desserts but the main courses have recently been rather disappointing.

Room Tip: Disabled 116 a disappointment. Room 107(a desirable room) is small with a tiny bathroom and a noisy...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide the hotel with feedback on your recent stay, I have just joined the team in recent days so if you would like to contact me and go through your feedback in greater detail I would be more than happy to discuss this with you and ensure you remain an advocate of ABode Exeter.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Reviewed 8 September 2012

This hotel has a first class location over looking Exeter Cathedral. Breakfast on a sunday morning in a dining room looking out directly on to the cathedral is an amazing experience. However this wonderful hotel of the old establishment sadly suffers neglect, presumably do to lack of funds. The dining room needs an overhaul - a missed opportunity to become one the the best locations to dine in the UK! The bar lacks any ambience. there is a good grill with outside seating in cathedral close.

Bedrooms not easy to access due to badly installed fire walls/doors. I suspect the more expensive rooms are easier located, and probably with more space than the small double beds with no bath at £85.

Room Tip: Ensure easy access. Not sure the cheaper rooms are worth the effort.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gillian S

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the ABode Exeter.
The hotel is unique and I acknowledge your feedback on navigating the property we do ensure we have an Oscar (concierge) on duty at all times to assist your bags and directions if required.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We stayed in a "desirable" room for 1 night with a Z bed for our son. We were on the first floor with a first class view of the cathedral. The bed was massive and we could have easily all slept on it. It was an extremely comfortable bed and I had a fantastic nights sleep. Best hotel bed I have slept on.

Bathroom had been modernised but the fixed head shower and shower screen didn't cover the splashes which meant the floor was flooded by the time we had all showered.

We had the early dinner option at the hotel restaurant and this was excellent in terms of value, food, service and a proper child's menu. Breakfast was just as excellent with menu ordered hot meals. I would recommend eggs benedict!

We were able to drop luggage off at hotel and reduced car parking rates are offered for a car park close by.

Overall a very good stay and fully recommended. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was the wet bathroom and the broken lift (apparently slow and old) which isn't handy when you have lots of luggage.

Room Tip: Room 109 for a great view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Good Morning,

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the ABode Exeter.
The points made about the bathroom are noted and I will look at solutions to this issue. The beds you so enjoyed are made in the south west and we receive a lot of great feedback about them.

Reviewed 31 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel three times now and have enjoyed every single time. The rooms are really exceptional, and it's certainly a place to stay if you are comfortable having a bath in the same room as the bed! Saying that, in each room I've stayed in, the bath has been hidden behind a screen or partition of sorts, so no problem. The best room I have stayed in was located near to the very top of the hotel, in fact the room had stairs in. There were chocolates waiting for me upon arrival and the view was over the cathedral grounds, really lovely. The location is perfect, right in the middle of the city centre, yet on a cobbled street overlooking the cathedral grounds. They have a great selection of drinks in the bar, great food and really welcoming service.

Room Tip: The lowest rated/cheapest rooms are great, but if you go for the suites, you will really be treated.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LBenth

Good Morning,

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay at the ABode Exeter and I look forward to welcoming you back to the ABode Exeter when next you are in Devon.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Given prices of other hotels of equivalent in Excter this hotels should be pretty good. However when I stayed there this week there was no hot water - this was known when I checked in but they didn't tell me!. other hotels in this price range that don't have parking have a valet system. Instead here you have to drive to a nearby (about half a mile) multistory and then walk back to the hotel

Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Good Morning,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay. I would like to opportunity to discuss this with you in greater detail if you would like to contact me via the hotel.
I recently joined the team at the ABode Exeter and I am passionate about getting the service touch points like the ones you highlighted correct.

Once again thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have stayed at the Abode Exeter/Royal Clarence many times. It's quite good and the rooms at the front overlooking the Cathedral have great views and a good feel. The last time I stayed there was no hot water. No one told me, so I wasted lots of time running water and trying to change the tap settings. Eventually I took a cold shower. When I raised the matter at reception I was told in a matter of fact way that there was no hot water in the entire hotel and a plumber was on the way. This appeared to be sufficient explanation. There was no question of reducing my bill or removing the breakfast charge as an apology. This is poor service. What sort of hotel doesn't have hot water, or if the hot water fails, doesn't make amends?

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Good Morning,

I apologise for the service you received. It is disappointing to read feedback from a guest that has stayed with the hotel on numerous occasions. I have only just joined the team in mid September and would like to assure you that the service you received will not happen again.

I would like to discuss this in greater detail with you if you would be kind enough to contact me via the hotel.