“Christmas Shopping with my Hubby”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I found this hotel with a Google search and I'm so glad I did. We only live an hour away but decided to book an overnight shopping trip. I booked the hotel directly over the phone not on the internet, the booking was easy and the staff very helpful. I was told about a special Winter deal with dinner included which was good value. I asked for a room with a roll top bath in our room, which was great, but unfortunately the room then didn't have a great view (218). The bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! (and huge!!) Our evening meal (included in the deal) was in the Grill/Cafe - we both had amazing starters and then the steak. Staff were attentive but not intrusive. Breakfast was lovely and again the staff brilliant. The only downsides were minor but I'll still mention them - There is only 1 power point in the room, this was not in a convenient position for the kettle, so we had have the kettle on the floor near the bed - which for health and safety isn't really good! There was no full length mirror in the room and only a 3/4 one in the bathroom. But these couple of things didn't hinder our stay at all.

1  Thank ScoobySue11

Reviewed 11 December 2012

Lets just say you get past the online booking that does not work, you have understood that this is the Royal Clarence and not the Abode hotel and you have still thought I would like to stay here.. Here is a little on my experience..

First contact was via the phone to tell them the website did not work and I could not find a phone number "yes it does, yes there is!" - It wasn't, but in interests of helping out other businesses I thought they would welcome the feedback - very wrong. After getting past that and not hanging up I booked two rooms (desireable), the person in bookings was very nice and so turned up to the hotel on the date we booked the rooms.
When we arrived and presented our details, the rooms were booked a month in advance (their mistake) and the receptionist was less than polite, clearly thinking it was my error (it was not). After a lot of tapping away and my urgent requests, she said she would "see what she can do" What annoyed me here is I did not get a sorry - not one. I eventually got two rooms (so they were not fully booked - clearly they could have just said that the reservations are not booked but we can sort that out.. simple. The receptionist then made out she did us a favour by agreeing to the same price that I booked the rooms for! less than impressed. Both rooms were good my colleagues room was facing the catherdrial, but had no shower. Mine was facing an office but was fine.

Moving on to later in the evening in the bar later the service could not have been worse, clearly the bar man wanted to go home and he made that very clear. Another group was in the bar at the time and we watched the night watchman drag a customer out by force, not the best bit of bouncing i have seen, not to many people were sure why.

To be fair to the night watchman he was probably doing what the bar man said to do, but he needs training, he was in an impossible position and out of his depth..

For me this place is spolied by a lot of the staff I encountered, that is not to say there are some great people working there, there is, just seems to be a lack of management. The rooms were very good, bed; very comfortable, clean, etc. I am sure there are better hotels in the price bracket.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve H
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thank you for taking to provide feedback on your stay, I am disappointed to we failed to meet your expectations on the evening and I have personally investigated your feedback with the following findings,

• The reservation was enter into the system incorrectly, this was a data error and the Front Office Manager will be reviewing the confirmation checking procedure as this did fall short of our expectation.
• The hotels details and my details are available on the website, this is located in the leave us a comment section
• While is wasn’t present when the gentleman was evicted I can say he was evicted for his behaviour, use of profanity’s and lastly sneaking into the closed restaurant trying to make his way into the bar. It is unfortunate and management coverage is onsite 24 hours per day. On the night in question the ‘’night watchman’’ referred to is our night manager who assumes the responsibility for the whole hotel overnight.

I have informed all departmental managers involved in your feedback and will review all further training undertaken due to the short comings you experienced.

We as a company and myself personally take such feedback very seriously and would be happy to discuss this in further detail if you would like to contact me on 01392 223605

Reviewed 8 December 2012

The location of the hotel is its main selling point. The view of the Cathedral from my window was lovely, made even nicer by the wonderful Christmas Market that was being held on the Catherdral lawns. So pretty at night, all lit up with lights.

Even though my room (208) was small, it was clean and had nice high ceilings, a wonderfully comfortable bed and a nice shower room. Most importantly it was also quiet!

The staff on the reception desk were nice and friendly, as were all the staff.

Breakfast, which I had in my room was generous and tasty,

The hotel is ideally placed, located right in the heart of the shopping area, but really close to the historical places of interest too. If you are arriving at St Davids train station then the hotel is a four minute taxi ride away and will cost around £5.40.

Overall a lovely stay, and I would visit again with pleasure.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

The feedback on your recent stay, I am glad to read you enjoyed our hotel and its location.
Merry Christmas and thank you again for providing this feedback and I truly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in future.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I've stayed at a few Abode Hotels and had some trust in the brand - but this one falls well short of the others. First thing you notice on arrival is that it isn't called the Abode Hotel ???? second thing is that the car park is a publc car park some way away.I was allocated a tiny room adjacent to the lift ( one of those really old fashioned ones with a double door) When anyone closed ( slammed) the doors - the whole floor must have awoken with a jolt ! Had a terrible nights sleep !

Room Tip: Don't go for a room anywhere near the lift shaft !
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

The feedback on the lift is some what new but I will review this immediately and if required find a suitable solution to the noise created.

Please feel free to contact the hotel if you would like to discuss this feedback in further detail.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We booked this hotel as a 'child free Christmas shopping' overnight stay and paid £160 inc breakfast. We loved the location and were not put off by the lack of parking. The room itself (218) was a fair size with an excellent shower room and quirky bath in the bedroom. The teabags and shower gels etc were top notch and the huge bed so comfy. We ate in the cafe bar during early evening which was delicious, had night caps in the Champagne bar which was lovely and breakfast in the morning was also very good. There were however a few things that dented our stay...we had no explanation or notice of having an additional £100 taken at check in, the menus for vegetarians are a joke (although the chef made me something else I was disappointed and did not bother to ask at breakfast), our main arrived whilst still having our starter/breads and when I requested to borrow a robe I was told they were all in the laundry/in use and I would need to book a suite for this service!! Also no full length/dressing mirror made getting ready a faff.
Overall we had a good time but would spend our £160 elsewhere next time I think.

1  Thank lovethesunshineDevon

Thank you for taking to provide feedback on your stay, I am disappointed to we failed to meet your expectations on this stay in two areas.
The hundred pounds is taken at £50 pp. This information is given to you when you are asked if you would to be able to charge to your room. The money isn’t taken or charged but is pre authorisation. I will speak with reception to ensure the clarity of the message as it is part of our standards.
The Vegetarian menu is changed regularly and normally receives great feedback, I apologise if this menu wasn’t to task but as highlighted in your response we can do something special if nothing on the menu takes your fancy.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

When we arrived we were given room 110 which is at the top of the main entranceway stairs. Tiny room with just room for the bed. We were not told that there would be a loud function just down the hall until 12.30am followed by another few hours of banging and thumping as the function room was packed away! Perhaps if somebody had warned us we could have had a different room. Had inebriated guests running and shouting outside the room after midnight and were amazed that nobody from the front desk nearby did anything. When we told all of this to the front desk the next morning the receptionist just said, oh I apologise for that.! We feel mugged of £115. Of hundreds of hotel stays around the world this is the first that has annoyed us enough to write a complaint.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 110 & 111 as they are in the main entrance area. Check if they have late night funct...
1  Thank john684
Reviewed 30 November 2012

The worst bed I've ever slept in, in my life, the springs very coming through. Car park a long way away which we knew but the hotel give you a ticket to get out of the car park that doesn't work so we had to go all the way back to the hotel to sort it out and it was pouring with rain. Restaurant was trying to hard, so the food was over complicated, ox cheek with monkfish just doesn't go. The sommolier though was fantastic. Filled in a comments sheet which was compeltely ignored.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ursularodwell

The bed in question has had its mattress replaced. We use a VSring mattress produced in Devon which receives great feedback as it is on of the most comfortable beds we have been able to find. With the recent acquisitions we have replaced over 30% of the beds this year which we do yearly as we know how important a good night sleep is especially when you are away from home.

I have passed your feedback on to chef regarding his menu. Obviously everyone has an opinion on food and what works for one might not work for another. It is important to note, the restaurant, the standard of food and service is like nothing else in the regional and delivers a standard far superior to our competitors.

On a separate note, I have met with the council re: the faulty car park boom gate and have been assured this has been repaired.