“A bit tired in parts but the service more than makes up for it!”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I have been staying at this hotel for the past five years and I can't believe it has taken me until now to write a review!

The location of this hotel has to be the best in Exeter...opposite the Cathedral you get a real sense of the history of Exeter and the ambience is great.

I have spent a fair few nights in the hotel - both work and pleasure, on my own and with family and so seen a lot of the rooms; they are all different and quite quirky.

The food (in-restaurant and in-room) is great and the choice and quality of the food is spot on!

One potential negative for me - the hotel is looking a little decoratively tired in parts (chipped paintwork, slightly shabby in some parts e.g. en-suites but not bad - a bit shabby chic! bur t I think they need to be watchful that it doesn't lose the chic and just become shabby!).

Helen in the restaurant is great - first class service ALL THE TIME! and always goes that extra mile to take care of you.

Bryony on reception is always there to give a welcome smile; the reception staff are a real asset to this hotel, I have known a number of them over the years and they have all been great - as the "face of the hotel" they do it proud.

A great welcome, a great place to stay and bags of character!

I'm definitely looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a Cathedral view (208 is great).
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Shaun D

Reviewed 20 February 2013

The hotel is located in a great spot in the heart of Exeter opposite the Cathedral. There is no on site parking, however there are several public car parks within walking distance charging a reasonable rate. The rooms are clean and spacious and the staff we met were very helpful during our stay. There is a pub serving superb real ales, as well as a Bar and Grill and a Fine Dining restaurant. The views from the front facing rooms of the Cathedral are stunning.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay, the team’s commitment to creating special occasions is second to none and Michael Caines influence on our regional focus can be seen from our Ales to the Duck served in our fine dining restaurant.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the ABode Exeter when you are next traveling through Devon

Regards

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Stayed a winter Saturday night and had a reduced rate for their cheapest room (around £100) through their website, a good reduction on their standard rates. Great location on the Cathedral green, and right next to all the shops and a short walk to the attractive river-front area. Staff welcoming and efficient, gave me clear directions to the nearby local off-street car park for my car, charged at a reasonable £9 per 24 hours. The one downside was that our room was pretty small, although functional, and rather noisy in the evening. Fairly tiny bathroom, with shower, mini-washbasin and no shelves of any kind to put things on! One chair in the room, and a standard size double bed, which did prove very comfortable. Unfortunately our room overlooked a pedestrian passageway next to the hotel, opposite a pub and there was loud music until around midnight. The problems with the room didn't deter us for a night's stay, but might get wearing if we had stayed longer. We managed to book in the famous restaurant run by the Michelin-starred chef, Michael Caines, for a reduced-rate early evening dinner; about half the price of the standard menu, smaller portions of terrific food, lovely staff and excellent house wines. Again, the staff were lovely, and the restaurant quiet that early in the evening. Great breakfast the following morning, the cold breakfast included lots of different fresh fruits, fresh orange juice etc. We really didn't need to sample the hot dishes! This hotel has been there for years and years, (was the Royal Clarence) and I was pleased to see that some of the original features remain, such as bits of leaded stained glass. And, if you don't eat in the restaurant, there is a bistro in the hotel too for informal dining. So we would go back provided the price for the room is reasonable, the experience was well worth it, and, for us, the service excellent.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Abode - we have stayed many times and always been very happy with the service we've received! Our stay once again was very enjoyable, especially our fine dining in the Michael Caine restaurant - the staff were very attentive and professional, and the food was a delight, just wonderful! We are sad to say we didn't receive the same experience in the Cafe bar on our second night (17th Feb) - we had booked a table for 7.30 and asked specifically when booking if we could have the window table, we were told yes that is booked for you - when we arrived the table was occupied and we were informed by the cafe bar manager that they had been there since 5pm and were still drinking - we said he should have informed them that the table was booked out at 7.30 - he said he would try to get them moved to another table - when this had still not occured after 20 minutes, we said we would stay at the table he had given us initially - all very dissapointing and unprofessional - he was quite rude whilst telling us it wasn't his fault!!! On hearing what had happened to us, another couple came over to us and said they had received similar treatment when booking a table there, and not been given the table they had asked for - in advance! Thank goodness the food once again was wonderful - the same cannot be said for the cafe bar manager on duty!!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to the ABode Exeter. I am glad you found the stay relaxing for the most part.

I will meet with the cafe bar and reception to review how exactly there wires got crossed.

I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to the ABode Exeter when are next in Exeter.

Regards,

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I was in Exeter for an event for one night and had a Hotels.com voucher to use. As the voucher was for £100 I decided I could afford to treat myself. The cost for a 'comfortable' room was £145 and this did not include breakfast. I therefore felt that the room would have been more luxorious than it turned out to be. Don't get me wrong, it had everything that you would expect from a high-end hotel; the mattress was lovely. It felt a little too soft at first, but once in bed, was perfect. The linens were good but the towels were rather 'thin' and, dare I say it, a bit grey. There was a tea tray with the usual suspects, an ironing board and iron, which was useful, and a hairdryer. All fine. The room was warm but I was surprised that there was no central heating radiator, just a small, free-standing, oil filled heater. I didn't need it but if I had, I wouldn't have wanted one that I had to turn off and on myself, not at the price they were charging. The room was small. I was on my own so it didn't matter too much but if I'd been sharing, it would have been tight. The shower room was also small although the shower itself was decent. But the basin was so small and the shelf above positioned in such a way that it made rinsing your mouth after tooth-brushing, awkward. I expected some street noise, this is a city centre hotel, after all. I didn't mind that and the secondary glazing blocked most of it. In fact, the city quietened down much earlier than I'd expected, around midnight. The main problem was the light from the shop opposite which was so bright that even with the curtains closed, the room was almost as light as it would be during daylight. The rooms need blackout blinds as well as curtains. The staff were pleasant and the ambience of the hotel high-end. But I didn't think the room I had was value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay, as with all feedback provided to us we use it to better meet or exceed our guests expectations. I will review a selection of rooms on the Martins Lane side of the building to see if back out blinds are required.

As per our pricing structure and that of hotels it flex's like airlines. At £145 room only the night you stayed was in high demand which reflects in the rate. With out knowing exactly what date you stayed I would suggest the city was quiet busy. I would encourage you to review our company website directly when you next travel down to Exeter as it will have the most up to date pricing loaded.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the ABode Exeter when you next travel through Devon.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

weve stayed here before its a great hotel.good service close to everything in town,the staff are alawys helpfull and friendly would highly recomm
end it. beds are very comfortable and room has everything you need in it.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for your feedback, the team here strive to deliver the most attentive service in the south west.

I will share your feedback with the team as I am sure they will be delighted.

Regards,

Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

The prices listed aren't very accurate. My wife and I paid £230 for one night, in what is The Royal Clarence's best room. The room is well appointed, with bay windows over looking the Cathedral Yard. A nice free standing bath and a small seating area make for a very comfortable and functional experience.

We live in Exeter anyway, but fancied a night of luxury. It was well worth the visit and as I worked here in the mid 90's, it was nice to see how much the hotel had improved.
We didn't eat in the restaurant as we don't like paying out a lot of money on fussy food.

I would definitely recommend staying here, especially if you like a bit of luxury.

• Stayed: March 2012