“Devon” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
London, United Kingdom
“Devon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

After finding a room whose size suited us we settled in for our 3 night stay. Our 1st night was a Sunday and our dining experience was far from the best as most things on the menu were not available .
The rest of our stay was just perfect

Be aware basic graded rooms are very very small, maybe ok for overnighters but not if your stay is longer. We upgraded to the next band but it cost us more.
Breakfast each day was as good as any good hotel.
All in all, a lovely 3 days and we will be back for our 3rd visit next year.
The staff are all amazing and obviously have had training and love their jobs.

Room Tip: A room facing the Cathedral is a nice bonus
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter - Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear ‘MargaretH679’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and will share your comments with our Team.

We would always recommend for longer stays choosing one of larger upgraded rooms many of which have fabulous views over Cathedral Green.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Matt Collins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
St Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I was here on buisness with colleagues. We had a conference meeting and stayed overnight.
Firstly the hotel staff were exceptional. You are greeted with a smile and they all speak English with an English accent and not pretend to put on a thick French accent as more and more hotels in England do these days. The conference rooms are unique, ours overlooked the courtyard and the Cathedral. The bedroom was small, no bath, but the shower was bigger than most. The bed was comfortable and they offer you unique little treats like fresh filter coffee in your room. There is a functional gym which you can access 24/7 with your hotel room key. I found this most convenient. The breakfast was not the biggest spread that I had faced but it was good quality. They bring you toast which makes a change from having to slowly stand and watch as you try and heat your own on those revolving toasters. I will definately come back here and would recommend as holiday hotel as well as business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter - Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear ‘Sal N’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your Conference and stay with us. I will share your positive comments with the team and look forward to welcoming you back.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the 13th the view was no view, it was awful ! On the plus side the bed was great very large & comfortable! the room lacked charm, or facilities ! the sink in the bathroom was tiny, barely room to wash a hand let alone two !! Bumped my head on the glass shelf when trying to clean my teeth ! Took pictures of the rubbishy room & shoddy house keeping (dusty old underwear on the top of the dusty wardrobe ) ! Breakfast was good except hair in the milk jug, I asked for it to be changed they took so long my coffee was cold ! I had such high hopes and quite frankly was left very disappointed and I could say more about the service but to be honest it was patchy & slow. They tried hard failed easy !

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter - Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear ‘snowtimegirl’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my apologies for the disappointment received whilst staying with us a couple of weeks ago.

I have recently joined the company and whilst there is little I can do about the view in some of our rooms, I have met and discussed your other comments with my new Team here to ensure further checks are made where necessary and additional training.

Once again please accept my apologies and should you wish to return to Exeter in the future please contact me direct so I can personally apologise and show you some of the other Room types and deliver an excellent experience for you both.

Royston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

We were in town for a wedding and block-booked four rooms in the Abode, ranging from three 'Desirable' rooms to the top-end 'Fabulous' room. All our rooms had views of the cathedral and every room was beautifully kitted out and comfortable. Our 'Fabulous' room really lived up to its billing - it had a huge bed, a smart bathroom and several comfortable chairs and sofas. There is also an enormous television, loads of storage space and a glorious view.

The Abode is smack in the centre of Exeter and, though it doesn't have its own parking facilities, the hotel's location is otherwise perfect.

The hotel itself is in an old building, has lots of meandering corridors with odd little corners and cubby holes - all in all it's very characterful and really rather wonderful.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for here - the more you pay the better room you get.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Twopeds
Dear ‘Twopeds’

Thank you so much for such a lovely review I’m so pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Queenstown, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

The hotel is a stones throw from the cathedral and surrounded by cafes/restaurants/bars/shops so location is perfect. We stayed in a 'comfortable' room which was good; nice and clean, small but enough room for a weekend break, the shower was good although got the bathroom a little wet! and the bed was fantastic! Only downside was the window was blacked out and opened onto a brick wall so no natural light - not a problem for a night or 2 though.

Staff were great and really helpful - didn't have food here but restaurant looked good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter - Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Dear 'Kezza632'

Thank you for taking the time to write a review I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at The Royal Clarence and look forward to welcoming you back.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Beautiful old hotel (also called The Royal Clarence) right on Cathedral Square in Exeter. We booked a double room on their "summer scorcher" deal, which was £99 including dinner, bed and breakfast. The hotel is a very nice old building with smart and friendly staff. Our airconditioned room looked directly over the cathedral and was clean, modern and had everything you need - and the bed was very comfortable too. The dinner included in the deal was at the "cafe-bar & grill" - where there was a full menu and a "2 courses for £10.50" menu too. The deal was only valid for the set menu, or the cash equivalent. We chose to order from the main menu and pay the extra. The food was good, but nothing special - however it was very nice sitting outside the hotel overlooking the cathedral and its grounds. Breakfast was very nice with a good selection. Parking is a bit of a pain though- you have to park in the nearby multi-storey which costs about £11.00 for 24 hours. Overall though it's a good value hotel, and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank will101clifton
Dear 'will101clifton'

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your kind comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times, get a superior room with a Cathedral view and it is a great place to stay but the other rooms are rather dull and lack luster.

My biggest gripe is the staff who in the main are foreign and have difficulty understanding your order and continually apologize for stupid errors time and time again. Order a mint tea and I bet you will not get what you ordered. This is a real shame as eating in Michael's restaurant is a real treat and certainly the best food in Devon, just let down by the staff!

Room Tip: Get a superior room with a Cathedral view and you will be impressed, otherwise you will get an '...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear ‘Charles F’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry to hear that the service is not consistently high as we would expect. I have very recently joined the company with my key priority the service experience.

In terms of the bedrooms we have a wide variety of rooms as you would with any very old building, I am currently reviewing all the bedrooms here in Exeter with a view to making some improvements in the New Year.

Please contact me directly next time you stay, so I can introduce myself and welcome you back personally.