ABode Exeter
US$80
Jurys Inn Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$74
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Express Exeter(Exeter)(Great Value!)
US$83
US$107
US$94
Priceline
1,286 results
All reviewschampagne barroyal clarencemichael cainesdesirable roomroom overlooking the cathedralroll top bathcathedral squarehuge bedlovely hotelbeautiful cathedralnight's sleepstayed here for one nightwardrobeuniversity
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed back in September and loved it. Welcoming and helpful staff, room small but comfortable. Great food in the Michael Caines Restaurant (with very knowledgable waiting staff) and well worth 'upgrading' from the deal we had giving us dinner in theCafe/bar area. Overall highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear ‘SRPembs’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review we are so pleased you both enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us in Exeter and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

A very comfortable stay for two nights 16th_17th October 2013.
Got a very warm welcome ,friendly and polite staff Victorian type decor but it seems right for this hotel.Great breakfast took evening meals in the old wells inn next to hotel also owned by Abode.
If I had to make a criticism it would be about the very old fashioned lift which fellow guests kept putting out of order by forgetting to close the lift gates,yes I did say gates,so not the hotels fault. Otherwise a perfect stay in a well run hotel right on Cathederal Square in the centre of town.
As near to perfection as you will find at a reasonable price .My thanks to staff and managers who work well as a team and treat guests as just that.
I look forward to my next stay.
Martin.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the Cathederal green where you can watch the world go by. I had 307 with no view at all but it did not seenm to matter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear ‘MARTIN P’

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, I will pass on your thanks to all the Team here. The old fashioned lift can be problematic but I think adds character to our hotel and in keeping with the style of the business, I will look at how we can ensure the lift is closed after departure.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Clarence.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed on the weekend of 19/20 October. My husband booked this hotel for our first weekend away since before we had our daughter. She's just started school - so it was about time!

The hotel is around 300 years old so has lots of character and inevitably doesn't have the uniformity of a more recently constructed hotel. We booked one of the desirable rooms but were given an upgrade to an enviable one. 2.02 is a truly wonderful room: large, beautifully fitted out, with a fantastic view of the cathedral We had a seating area, massive bed and a roll top bath in the room, just gorgeous. We were very grateful for the upgrade as our room could not have been better.

We ate in the cafe on the first night, the food and service were both good. We treated ourselves to dinner in the main restaurant on the Saturday and were so glad we had, the meal we had was absolutely superb - really imaginative, excellent quality and beautifully presented. I am vegetarian and think this is the best restaurant I have ever been to for vegetarians. Service was impeccable throughout, staff were relaxed and friendly and seemed to be enjoying their jobs. In fact, all the staff at the hotel were lovely and helped to make our stay as wonderful as it was. I really can't fault the hotel, restaurant or staff in anyway, this is a real gem.

Room Tip: room 2.02 is lovely - fantastic view of the cathedral
1  Thank Nicola K

Dear ‘Nicola K’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and will share your comments with our Team.

I’m happy to hear in both of our Restaurant areas you enjoyed our food and service. We try our hardest to wow guests with Vegetarian and Dietary requirements as all to often get forgotten about so always worth letting us know in advance.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

It was sunny and we at outside with the great view across the green to the cathedral. We only wanted a quick snack , and the staff were quick and attentive. The food was fine and we left happily to further explore the highways and byways of Exeter.

Dear ‘Neil H’

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I will share your kind comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We booked on an expedia deal and it was, in fairness, a cheap deal. However, I feel a little like we had a bad room in a good hotel. Reception staff were helpful, the room was clean with a large and pretty comfortable bed. It's location is also excellent, just minutes way from the high st and opposite the cathedral. However the room felt tired and ragged round the edges; the light over the bath was coming away from the ceiling, the toilet kept sticking on flush and the shower leaked. The one small window looked out over rooftops and aircon units and the room just wasn't anywhere you really wanted to spend a lot of time. There are also no public areas in which you can just relax, all hotel areas are bars, restaurants and other merchandising opportunities. (Though the pub next door, which I think they also run, does excellent food and drink) We also found it very noisy - there is a pub across the lane, the aircon is noisy, and our room was by a fire door which kept being slammed and a cleaners cupboard which was in use from about 7.30am. All in all, disappointing. Maybe the more expensive rooms are better.

Dear ‘wombat1972’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and in the first instance please accept my apologies for the disappointment received.

In terms of the rooms, we are planning to update over half the rooms in January and February with particular focus on our Comfortable Room category. I would always recommend upgrading to one of our other room types for additional space and luxury. I will speak to my Housekeeping team and Maintenance regarding the noise issues you encountered to overcome this for the future.

We do have the Cathedral Room on the first floor which when not in use is set up as a lounge for guests to relax in, alternatively there is the Champagne Bar but appreciate what you are saying.

If you do decide to come to Exeter feel free to contact me direct so I can best advise you on the room Type to suit your needs.

Once again thank you and I look forward to welcoming you back.