“Devoid of atmosphere”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

A pleasant enough conversion of the beautiful original hotel. My room was compact but functional with all the accessories you would expect for this level of hotel. Free wifi is very easy to access. Staff friendly and helpful. Bar area small and uninviting. Breakfast was ok, unripe melon, I'd rather they didn't bother if the fresh fruit is not in season. Tiny portion of smoked salmon. Shocked that I'd have to pay £2 more for an Expresso, when will quality hotels realise this is part and parcel of breakfast on the continent. Rip off

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear ‘SansomSELondon’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m sorry to hear about the breakfast being just OK and will fully take on your comments regarding the portion sizes for the Salmon and review the fruit selection.

I will raise the question about charging for an Expresso during breakfast to our Group Operations Manager who does take note of comments and I’m sure will review in due course

Once again thank you for your comments I appreciate all constructive feedback.

Matt Collins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The location of the hotel is ideal, with access to the high street a front seat view of the cathedral. Th initial greeting was reasonably friendly. The staff seemed competent despite it requiring two people to simply book my restaurant reservation.
The biggest problem I had with the hotel (which still has the old hotel name outside?) was with the room. For the rate I paid, I would expect a bigger room. The cupboard door nearly touched the bed. And when you wanted to close the curtains, you would effectively need to pull them over the desk - meaning that if you wanted privacy, you had to sacrifice your work space area. The room was noisy, with the fire doors being banged late into the night. There was also noise from the pub nearby. The shower and toilet also looked tired and the quality of the finishing was poor.
The dinner experience was pleasant - the service was great, the food was well presented and the quality was very high. If it was not for the dinner experience, I would have chosen an overall rating of 'poor'. Next time, I will follow the advise of the folks I met during dinner, and eat here but sleep somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear ‘F J’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review and sorry to hear that you would not consider staying with us in the future.

We have a wide variety of rooms in the hotel all of a different size and differing views. I am looking at adding an additional category for small rooms we do have so we can offer an accurate description to our guests. I have passed your comments to maintenance to check the Fire Doors, they should bang shut. The vast majority of our rooms are of a good size and we will be upgrading over half of our rooms in the new year.

I’m really pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us in our Restaurant I will ensure this is communicated with the Kitchen and Restaurant team.

If you do have a need to stay in the city again I really would appreciate if you contact me direct so I can ensure that your stay is more comfortable than your last and perhaps show you some of our other rooms.

Once again please accept my apologies and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Perfect location in Cathedral Square virtually within the cathedral grounds...what a wonderful sight to wake up to! Staff were polite professional friendly helpful especially at breakfast. There are 4 room types-'comfortable' which are comfy but very small; 'desirable' which are the same as comfortable but slightly larger; 'enviable' which are larger with free treats thrown in (hamper of local goodies), huge 6ft bed and clever bathroom design with wetroom shower and freestanding bath in the bedroom behind a screen and 'fabulous' which are mini suites like the 'enviable' but with a separate lounge/tv area. Perfect place for a romantic night away! We ordered room service midnight feast...beautifully served, reasonable price, roast beef sandwiches were packed with beef rocket horseradish...v yummy! Breakfast was great...nice dining room, not a massive selection but what was offered was fresh ad delicious and the poached egg were the best I've ever had in a hotel...perfectly soft huge and deep yellow! Parking is a bit of a pain. You can park outside the hotel for 30mins to drop off bags but then you have to do a tight 3 point turn to backtrack to the main road and find the carpark which can be tricky if you don't know Exeter....lots of one way & pedestrian streets. If you've only got small overnight bags its probably easier to park then walk the 5 mins to hotel. We didn't eat/drink in the restaurant or bar so can't comment but they had good meal deals. Overall a really lovely stay which my mum is still raving about! Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: we had room 206, an 'enviable', on 2nd floor overlooking cathedral. Huge bed, good wet room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear ‘jsb1961’

Wow what a fantastic review thank you so much for taking the time to detail your experience with us, as with all comments I will share this with my team.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed back in September and loved it. Welcoming and helpful staff, room small but comfortable. Great food in the Michael Caines Restaurant (with very knowledgable waiting staff) and well worth 'upgrading' from the deal we had giving us dinner in theCafe/bar area. Overall highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘SRPembs’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review we are so pleased you both enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us in Exeter and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

A very comfortable stay for two nights 16th_17th October 2013.
Got a very warm welcome ,friendly and polite staff Victorian type decor but it seems right for this hotel.Great breakfast took evening meals in the old wells inn next to hotel also owned by Abode.
If I had to make a criticism it would be about the very old fashioned lift which fellow guests kept putting out of order by forgetting to close the lift gates,yes I did say gates,so not the hotels fault. Otherwise a perfect stay in a well run hotel right on Cathederal Square in the centre of town.
As near to perfection as you will find at a reasonable price .My thanks to staff and managers who work well as a team and treat guests as just that.
I look forward to my next stay.
Martin.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the Cathederal green where you can watch the world go by. I had 307 with...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear ‘MARTIN P’

Thank you so much for such a lovely review, I will pass on your thanks to all the Team here. The old fashioned lift can be problematic but I think adds character to our hotel and in keeping with the style of the business, I will look at how we can ensure the lift is closed after departure.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal Clarence.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We stayed on the weekend of 19/20 October. My husband booked this hotel for our first weekend away since before we had our daughter. She's just started school - so it was about time!

The hotel is around 300 years old so has lots of character and inevitably doesn't have the uniformity of a more recently constructed hotel. We booked one of the desirable rooms but were given an upgrade to an enviable one. 2.02 is a truly wonderful room: large, beautifully fitted out, with a fantastic view of the cathedral We had a seating area, massive bed and a roll top bath in the room, just gorgeous. We were very grateful for the upgrade as our room could not have been better.

We ate in the cafe on the first night, the food and service were both good. We treated ourselves to dinner in the main restaurant on the Saturday and were so glad we had, the meal we had was absolutely superb - really imaginative, excellent quality and beautifully presented. I am vegetarian and think this is the best restaurant I have ever been to for vegetarians. Service was impeccable throughout, staff were relaxed and friendly and seemed to be enjoying their jobs. In fact, all the staff at the hotel were lovely and helped to make our stay as wonderful as it was. I really can't fault the hotel, restaurant or staff in anyway, this is a real gem.

Room Tip: room 2.02 is lovely - fantastic view of the cathedral
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola K

Dear ‘Nicola K’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your short break with us and will share your comments with our Team.

I’m happy to hear in both of our Restaurant areas you enjoyed our food and service. We try our hardest to wow guests with Vegetarian and Dietary requirements as all to often get forgotten about so always worth letting us know in advance.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

It was sunny and we at outside with the great view across the green to the cathedral. We only wanted a quick snack , and the staff were quick and attentive. The food was fine and we left happily to further explore the highways and byways of Exeter.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘Neil H’

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I will share your kind comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.