“Should be better”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We were attracted to this hotel because of Michael Caines reputation. It is in an excellent location but will need a lot more spent on it before it comes up to four star standard. Whoever designed the bedroom should be shot - or at least make them try to brush their teeth over the sink without banging their head, then take a bath in the middle of the room with a monstrosity of a desk used as the screen. We looked at main restaurant menu but only choice of for mains, none really appealed. So tried cafe/grill which was a very good choice albeit much more casual. Wine list there very limited so given list from main restaurant which was good and extensive. Breakfast was satisfactory but annoyed that they charge full supplementary price for cappuccino or latte. All in all - it was alright but not special. Wondering if it's worth trying gidleigh park?

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear ‘dianaegmore'

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear that the design of the room is not to your liking, we have a variety of rooms all different sizes and styles, perhaps on your next visit my Reservations Team can help you select a more suitable room.

The Fine Dine Restaurant has two menu options the A La Carte with six main courses and the Tasting menu . Whilst there are a smaller amount of choices we do as you mentioned have our Café Bar with a relaxed feel and larger menu, if requested we would have been more than happy for you to select a wine from our larger list. I will, as mentioned to a previous reviewer look at the charges for specific types of coffee at Breakfast.

Gidleigh Park is a fabulous place to visit for an overnight stay with Dinner from my recent personal experience, very different style to ABode but well worth it.

Once again thank you for your review I welcome feedback and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Matt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed 13 November 2013

If you find yourself in Exeter and need a nice hotel to stay this is the place. View of our room was the cathedral. Shower was enormous and pressure excellent. Was there for a party and all aspects were great. Food and service were top notch. Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear ‘Beau R’

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are all so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you again in the future.

Best regards

Reviewed 12 November 2013

The Abode is situated right opposite Exeter cathedral on Cathedral Close. Formerly the Royal Clarence Hotel. The hotel has been tastefully modernised and upgraded considerably except for one major item THE LIFT! This lift has a gate to close on entering which is fine but it appears that some residents are illiterate when it comes to reading the notice reminding them to close the gate when leaving the lift. This results in the lift being stuck at the floor until some one is available to close it. It is also small which can be a problem at checkout time if the hotel is busy.
We had a 'comfortable room' which is the term used by Abode for standard. We gather the better rooms are graded by several different terms up to 'magnificent' and 'wow' ! Our room (309) overlooked the cathedral and was very comfortable with a good en-suite.
The staff were all first class and reception always helpful and welcoming.
There is no car park but the hotel has an arrangement with a nearby multi-storey which is locked at night. You pay the hotel £10.50 for the concession and can park there for several days, as we did.
One word of warning. The booze prices are extremely high. A 175ml (medium) glass of wine will cost you about £9 to which is added 12.5% "fine dining service" so our advice is sleep there, eat and drink out - there are several really good eateries and pubs close by.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the cathedral.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘rochester684’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I m happy that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. The lift is rather old but incredibly reliable with the exception of the human element, I am looking into how we can overcome the closing of the gate and hopeful we will be able to find a solution as the lift adds character.

In terms of the drink prices we are competitive to similar places within the city, the service charge being discretionary with a no quibble removal if desired. Next door we have the Well House Tavern which serves food and a number of local Ales, Ciders and even a local Lager from Otter which is well worth a try.

Once again thank you for your review I openly welcome feedback and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards

Reviewed 9 November 2013

We stayed here in early November, on a trip to see my daughter at the Uni. Best place I have stayed at in Exeter, great value -we had the Autumn treats package which was dinner bed and breakfast for £90 per room. As suggested we asked for a cathedral view and were not disappointed, yes the room was a little small, but all we required was there. Nice selection of coffee tea etc
Had dinner in the cafe the first night, which was good, the second we dined in the main restaurant which gave £22 off the menu price, and if you book before 7pm the fixed price menu is excellent value - could not be faulted - a real treat for a student daughter. All in all a lovely weekend, would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: I would ask for a cathedral view on floor 2 or above
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear 'foxesrun'

Thank you so much for such a lovely review I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

A pleasant enough conversion of the beautiful original hotel. My room was compact but functional with all the accessories you would expect for this level of hotel. Free wifi is very easy to access. Staff friendly and helpful. Bar area small and uninviting. Breakfast was ok, unripe melon, I'd rather they didn't bother if the fresh fruit is not in season. Tiny portion of smoked salmon. Shocked that I'd have to pay £2 more for an Expresso, when will quality hotels realise this is part and parcel of breakfast on the continent. Rip off

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear ‘SansomSELondon’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m sorry to hear about the breakfast being just OK and will fully take on your comments regarding the portion sizes for the Salmon and review the fruit selection.

I will raise the question about charging for an Expresso during breakfast to our Group Operations Manager who does take note of comments and I’m sure will review in due course

Once again thank you for your comments I appreciate all constructive feedback.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

The location of the hotel is ideal, with access to the high street a front seat view of the cathedral. Th initial greeting was reasonably friendly. The staff seemed competent despite it requiring two people to simply book my restaurant reservation.
The biggest problem I had with the hotel (which still has the old hotel name outside?) was with the room. For the rate I paid, I would expect a bigger room. The cupboard door nearly touched the bed. And when you wanted to close the curtains, you would effectively need to pull them over the desk - meaning that if you wanted privacy, you had to sacrifice your work space area. The room was noisy, with the fire doors being banged late into the night. There was also noise from the pub nearby. The shower and toilet also looked tired and the quality of the finishing was poor.
The dinner experience was pleasant - the service was great, the food was well presented and the quality was very high. If it was not for the dinner experience, I would have chosen an overall rating of 'poor'. Next time, I will follow the advise of the folks I met during dinner, and eat here but sleep somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear ‘F J’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review and sorry to hear that you would not consider staying with us in the future.

We have a wide variety of rooms in the hotel all of a different size and differing views. I am looking at adding an additional category for small rooms we do have so we can offer an accurate description to our guests. I have passed your comments to maintenance to check the Fire Doors, they should bang shut. The vast majority of our rooms are of a good size and we will be upgrading over half of our rooms in the new year.

I’m really pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us in our Restaurant I will ensure this is communicated with the Kitchen and Restaurant team.

If you do have a need to stay in the city again I really would appreciate if you contact me direct so I can ensure that your stay is more comfortable than your last and perhaps show you some of our other rooms.

Once again please accept my apologies and thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Perfect location in Cathedral Square virtually within the cathedral grounds...what a wonderful sight to wake up to! Staff were polite professional friendly helpful especially at breakfast. There are 4 room types-'comfortable' which are comfy but very small; 'desirable' which are the same as comfortable but slightly larger; 'enviable' which are larger with free treats thrown in (hamper of local goodies), huge 6ft bed and clever bathroom design with wetroom shower and freestanding bath in the bedroom behind a screen and 'fabulous' which are mini suites like the 'enviable' but with a separate lounge/tv area. Perfect place for a romantic night away! We ordered room service midnight feast...beautifully served, reasonable price, roast beef sandwiches were packed with beef rocket horseradish...v yummy! Breakfast was great...nice dining room, not a massive selection but what was offered was fresh ad delicious and the poached egg were the best I've ever had in a hotel...perfectly soft huge and deep yellow! Parking is a bit of a pain. You can park outside the hotel for 30mins to drop off bags but then you have to do a tight 3 point turn to backtrack to the main road and find the carpark which can be tricky if you don't know Exeter....lots of one way & pedestrian streets. If you've only got small overnight bags its probably easier to park then walk the 5 mins to hotel. We didn't eat/drink in the restaurant or bar so can't comment but they had good meal deals. Overall a really lovely stay which my mum is still raving about! Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: we had room 206, an 'enviable', on 2nd floor overlooking cathedral. Huge bed, good wet room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear ‘jsb1961’

Wow what a fantastic review thank you so much for taking the time to detail your experience with us, as with all comments I will share this with my team.