“Probably the best in Exeter?”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I haven't stayed in any other hotels in Exeter and this was my first visit to the city but for location, style and quality, I can't imagine that Abode can be beaten! We chose a "Desirable" room overlooking the cathedral (£100 excl. breakfast). The room was at the front of the hotel facing the cathedral but because the area is pedestrianised there was no problem of traffic noise. The room (and the rest of the hotel) is beautifully designed in modern architectural and furnishing styles and was reasonably spacious for a city centre hotel. The bed was the biggest I have ever seen, genuinely big enough for three or four people and very comfortable. We ate in the Michael Caines restaurant which was delicious - see separate review.

Room Tip: Cathedral-view room is recommended.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark R
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2014

Dear ‘Funkyteaspoons59’

Wow thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed both your stay and evening meal.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

THE place to stay in Exeter-directly opposite the Cathedral and in an old quarter that has survived the war bombing. Actually, the only nice charming part of the city...

Rooms very smart but poor lighting. Bathrooms very well equipped with lovely toiletries. Best thing is the food -beautiful and served by well trained staff who were very chatty. Tried the main restaurant and the brasserie-both excellent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear ‘Celticbach’

Thank you so much for your kind words, we are all so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that we can welcome you again in the future.

Best regards

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed for one night in a 'desirable' room, which is one up from 'comfortable'. The room itself was very clean and relatively spacious - a lovely roll top bath in the main room, a good shower in the bathroom, unfortunately no nice view from the window (bird netting and walls/windows only, but not a big issue) and a huge, comfortable bed.
However, my stay was completely ruined by the fact that an event was held in a function room below mine - about which the hotel staff gave absolutely no warning of, which I feel is a big failing. The music was ridiculously loud, thumping and very clear, not muffled at all. to make matters worse it was rubbish music ! (delights of Monster Mash, YMCA, Wham's 'I'm your man' to name a few).
After a number of calls to reception to complain, ask for the noise level to be turned down or alternatively place me in another room I received a call from the manager to say 'we could put you in another room but that one is above a pub, more noisy than where you are and the noise will go on for longer'. So, not much good then. I requested a sizeable reduction in the room cost, which to be fair to the hotel was agreed by the manager, as well as a free breakfast.
The music eventually stopped at 11.35pm, but then there were sounds of furniture being scrapped across the floor and general noise as the staff got the function room ready for the next day, this eventually stopped at about 12.30pm-ish at which point I was able to get a few hours sleep.
I would avoid this hotel in the future if in Exeter again, unless the room was guaranteed not to be above or near a noisy event or the apparently even noisier pub the manager mentioned. This is the first time I have felt compelled to write a hotel review, having stayed in many, many hotels for pleasure and work.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear ‘Gill M’

Thank you for your review I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us last weekend, in general we do not have a lot of Events on with music and when we do we try our upmost to ensure that guests are made aware and allocated rooms away from the Function Room.

Unfortunately we were unable to move your room and as such made a gesture that that you found acceptable. Should you wish to stay in the future please contact me direct so I can personally ensure your stay is comfortable.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Although we often eat here, my husband and I have never stayed at the hotel, so decided to have an over night stay even though we are fairly local, and eat in the restaurant.

We were checked in by very friendly and helpful staff and upgraded to the most beautiful room.

Our room was spacious, spotless, comfortable, relaxing and had everything we required. The bed was very large and extremely comfortable.

We ordered drinks to have in the room before dinner, and has them delivered promptly by a friendly member of the team.

We ate in the restaurant, and cannot fault the 'Taster' menu with wines. If you are tempted by this, have it with accompanying wine, the sommelier is so knowledgeable and friendly, and the wines delicious, including English wines.

Every single team member from the front desk to the bar staff and House keeping were friendly, polite and helpful.

The hotel has amazing character and beautiful views over the Cathedral & Christmas Market.

We often eat here, and have never had anything but excellent service and food.

We returned for an impromptu business lunch on the Monday without a booking, and the host managed to seat us (thank you) even though they were extremely busy. We again had a perfect lunch.

Thank you to the team here, we will be returning and recommending your beautiful hotel, totally faultless.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Dear ‘Nomie81’

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your dinner and found your room comfortable. I will ensure your kind comments are feed back to my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Matt

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Had a great stay there. Room was great, overlooking the cathedral and Christmas market. Good breakfast and the two meals (one in the restaurant and one in the mc cafe bar) were fantastic. Could not fault the service - make sure you drop your bags off before parking as there is no on site parking

Dear ‘jobryer’

Thank you so much for your review, I’m so pleased you both enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year.

Matt

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Wonderful location, The bedroom was comfortable but poorly lit, plug sockets are few & not close to mirrors for hairdrying, The bar was nice but so small with very little seating as its central location makes it popular.So we were a little lost as to where to go after dinner, just to sit & chat.
So if you want a central hotel for shopping trip etc,great ,but with no outside parking due to its location in Cathedral square. (parking is in local multi storey)maybe not first choice, it will not be mine next visit to the wonderful city.

Dear ‘97carole’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review. I’m sorry to hear that you may not return. We have scheduled some improvements to our bedrooms to commence in January of which we will be addressing some of your comments in this area.

The Cathedral Room upstairs is available to relax in, some evenings and days it can be booked for private dining please ask at Reception.

If you do decide to return please let me know so I can introduce myself and welcome you back.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I have stayed here many times before, upgrade to the Desirable rooms - these are lovely and worth the extra cost. I'll start my review with the positives, our room was fabulous we had a room overlooking the Cathedral Green which was lovely and even better we had a roll top bath in our room - such a treat. We ate lunch in the Champagne bar - just delicious. We were booked into the Cafe Bar and Grill for Dinner, starters yummy, main course very disappointing! Breakfast the next day was slightly odd, we didn't expect to have to collect our own tea but hey ho we could handle that! What was disappointing was the breakfast, scambled eggs which were very dry and overcooked, the sausage very pale and undercooked, the mushroom looked pathetic and very sorry for itself with it's dried up exterior. If I were Michael Caines I'd be very disappointed that it was the food that let this hotel down. Would we stay here again; yes, would we eat here again, probably not!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Cathedral Green are lovely.
1  Thank Jane B
General M, Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2013

Dear ‘Jane B’

Thank for your review I’m sorry to hear we fell short in some aspects of the food but pleased that you liked your room. I have taken note of your comments and shared them with our kitchen brigade who will make every effort to make improvements where necessary.

If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to contact me direct.