“Good Location”

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Towcester, United Kingdom
“Good Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

Location - Central for everything. Restaurants and Bars a plenty within seconds of the Hotel - So guess it may be pretty hectic at weekends - I stayed mid week and it was pretty quiet.

Room - It was pretty warm in the hotel and even with using the Air con and having the window in the room open all night i still slept on top of the bed. Aside from that though the room was functional nothing special but no issues.

Parking is close by but I had to call the Hotel on the day when in Exeter to get information on where to park - Would be good to be clearer on the web site the car park name not just a "Multi storey" near by.

Staff - Attentive and welcoming when engaged at check in and out.

Hint - It;s an old hotel, some some lovely features but plenty of narror stairs. Get assistance with getting your luggage to the room, Whilst there are lift there are still stairs & doors which ever way you go,

I would stay again for the location if the price was right.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Dear ‘ribs160379'

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay. The Comfort Temperature control is currently set to heat, this can be switched to cool, instructions are in our Guest Information Folder.
I will arrange for the website to be updated with the name of Mary Arches Car Park. Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Matt Collins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Exeter
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here a few nights ago, for one night hoping for a needed good nights sleep, unfortunately we were given a room opposite an events room and off the main hall way, and we're woken up by crowds of people in the early hours of the morning, who were extremely noisy, not only that, but were noisy and having conversations outside the door for an hour without any staff moving them on. However the cocktails we're fantastic but again £9 for one drink.
Apart from that, the room was comfortable and was only disappointed by the shower pressure which was very very low.
Would still recommend it but maybe not when there is a party on in the events room....

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Dear ‘Jess M’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m so sorry to hear your stay was interrupted by the function, we should have allocated a room away from the noise and from this week future functions with music will be required to book the rooms close by to prevent this from happening. We have a night team on duty and if notified would have swiftly moved the guests along but will speak to them to ensure regular patrols.

The pricing for Cocktails is competitive with others in the city, ranging from £7 to £12 and we offer 2 for 1 on selected cocktails between 5pm and 7pm everyday.

Once again please accept my apologies, if you could contact me direct it would be useful to know the room you stayed in to address the unusual issue of water pressure and to ensure your next visit we can provide a perfect stay for you.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

My husband and I first stayed at the Exeter when we were dropping our daughter off at the University of Exeter for a year abroad. We have returned several times, and each time the staff has been helpful, friendly, and efficient. The rooms are well-appointed and the bed linens exceptional. The restaurant is a must. Every thing that the staff at Michael Caines makes is beautiful to the eye, innovative, and absolutely delicious. Our server, Natalie, an Exeter law student, was just lovely. We really enjoyed meeting her. Also the location...you can have a wonderful cream tea outside and then go to the Cathedral--which continually fascinates after several visits. Highly recommend this hotel and Exeter is just a wonderful community.

Room Tip: We liked the room with the funky claw-fot bath tub behind the bed...and the slanted floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeanne C
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear ‘Jeanne’

Thank you for such a lovely review, I will ensure Natalie sees your note having only recently moved into the Restaurant from another department she will be over the moon!

I’m so pleased you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you all back in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights with a 4 month old baby and could not thank all the staff enough. They were accommodating, professional, friendly and interested. The customer service and desire to make sure we had everything we needed was exemplary. Reception, bar, restaurant staff all amazing. Thank you for a wonderful stay, would recommend to anyone. Oh, food was also of a first class standard. Thank you all very much!

Stayed January 2014
Dear ‘Stagedge’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are all so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

Had a suite experience for the weekend and was very impressed with room 402, the bathroom wasn't great as I'm very tall and the ceiling well is very low so I couldn't shower fully standing up which wasn't ideal.

The bed was hugggge and we both slept very well, the seating area was also very spacious and roomy with two comfy chairs and a big sofa. The views are outstanding overlooking the cathedral and courtyard.

Room service breakfast was not great, tasty, but no selection apart from a hot breakfast roll or sausage roll, however breakfast in the restaurant this morning was totally brilliant, perfectly cooked food, great service, great coffee and toast!

Would we stay again,Myers we would and I'd like try another suite, well they are Fabulous!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ‘Bigbird1 334’

Thank you so much for such a nice review, we are all so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us in one our ‘Fabulous’ rooms and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sidmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

My wife and I had Christmas lunch here as I was on duty Christmas morning and afternoon. It was vastly overpriced. Started with champagne and canapees (or rather one canapee after we were chased into the dining room), soup followed, served in a shot glass with a teaspoon to drink it, it was good - but hardly a more than three teaspoons full. Salmon rilettes (two lumps, with fancy splodged about the plate) followed by crab raviolli (one piece). Main course - turkey with one carrot and one parsnip - standing like two steeples- four very poor roast potatoes (third rate pub standard), shredded something under the turkey, no other veg. Cranberry sauce but no bread sauce. Christmas pudding to finish in the dining room, then upstair to a rather cold room for coffee and a mince pie. Oh, there were crackers - contents; a paper hat, a little bag of marble or a plastic top. All for £99.00 per head.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear ‘Christopher S’

Thank you for your review, in the first instance please except my apologies for the disappointing experience.

I will of course fully investigate this matter further with my Kitchen brigade who I know have taken your comments on board and will where necessary make amendments for future years.
I personally checked the quality of food on Christmas day nothing was particularly apparent to me, though that is not to say yours was different and agree bread sauce should have been available.

On the portion size with six courses including cheese, Canapés and Petit Fours not all courses are going to be large and I felt perfectly adequate, the soup was an appetizer and as such not meant to be anything more than what it was.

Once again please except our apologies and I hope that you will take up my offer in the future.

Matt
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Stayed just for one night, nicest hotel I have stayed in! Amazing bedroom with beautiful view of the cathedral. Sumptuous free standing roll-top bath and huge comfy bed. Staff genuinley friendly and super breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Dear ‘Emma J’

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your Birthday stay with us and will ensure your kind comments are feed back to my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.