“Best location in Exeter. Very comfortable room.”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #13 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
UK
“Best location in Exeter. Very comfortable room.”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stayed in room 210, which was a luxury double. Bed was huge and probably the most comfortable I have ever stayed in. The room was large with sofa, bath and separate shower/toilet. The staff in the bar were great, making us some very nice cocktails, and the breakfast kipper with poached egg was excellent. Only negative was the view of the extractors from the bedroom.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear ‘bearkin’

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, I will share your kind comments with the team in the Champagne Bar. Please let me know next time you decide to stay so I can personally thank you.

Matt Collins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed at the hotel recently in room 202 overlooking the cathedral. What a gorgeous view to wake up to! We had extremely comfortable stay and a very pleasant experience overall. The food in the restaurant was excellent and our waitress Natalie was very courteous and helpful. The bar staff were also very pleasant. Overall perfect location, gorgeous room and good service.

Room Tip: Room 202 was superb, luxurious, overlooking the cathedral and the biggest bed I have ever slept in.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear ‘Mrs_Maxwell2014’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and pleased to hear such positive comments about my team in particular Natalie.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Hotel is well positioned in Cathedral Square. Good room, clean and well presented and with view of cathedral. Friendly reception staff, very helpful. Small gym but sufficient equipment for my needs. Did not eat in the hotel.

Dear ‘Graham H’

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay here at ABode Exeter. I will share your comments with all of the team who I know will be pleased.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Kingsbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I signed up to Tripadvisor specificallly to make this review as this hotel and staff certainly deserves it. I travel extensively and appreciate how difficult it can be for a hotel to get every aspect right. However, each and every single member of staff from reception to bar and into the restaurant excelled themselves in their respective roles, this coupled with the high standard of the accommodation and housekeeping meant our stay could not have been made more enjoyable or more comfortable in any respect. Every now and again someone raises the bar a little higher and this hotel is one. Thankyou for a delightful stay.

Room Tip: Suite 202, Fantastic bay windowed view of Exeter Cathedral
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear ‘Aaron L’

Thank you, what a lovely review and I know my team will very much appreciating your feedback. I am so pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to ABode Exeter in the near future.

Matt
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 9 April 2014

As a matter of fact, I have not been a guest at ABode Exeter, also known as Royal Clarence Hotel in the inspiring town of Exeter. But I've passed in front of it many many times while visiting Exeter, always imagining how nice it would be staying in a room facing the beautiful gothic Cathedral. Its location at Cathedral Yard puts it in an outstanding position, close to Exeter's main attraction, surrounded by excellent restaurants and near commercial areas. Exe River and the Quayside are at walking distances. Nevertheless, not all the previous reviews share the same ideas and one should read them carefully, before booking a room or a suíte. But, next time in Exeter, I'll give it a try and will let me be hypnotized by the magnetic Exeter Cathedral. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Book a room or a suíte with a view to Exeter Cathedral. No point in staying at Cathedral Yard and wa...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
‘Dear luizdutraneto’

Thank you for your review, I hope to welcome you in the near future.

Matt
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We got married on 5th April 2013 at the Abode and stayed overnight in one of their fabulous suites (top floor). We were tempted to book the same suite again for our 1st Wedding Anniversary 5th April 2014 but we thought that all the suites would be good so took pot luck when booking. We were not disappointed. Fab views of the Cathedral as all suites have and very spacious. This suite had separate bedroom and bathroom. Hotel staff gave us an Anniversary message card- a nice touch. Perhaps we will work our way around all the rooms each year! My whole family stayed at the Abode last year for our wedding, some upgrading to the desirable rooms and they were not disappointed. We ate in the restaurant and as always the food was fabulous with very attentive service.

Room Tip: Fully recommend desirable, enviable and fabulous suites. Worth paying that little extra.
Dear ‘Samantha H’

Thank you so much for returning on your Wedding Anniversary, I am so pleased you enjoyed your second special visit, all of the Fabulous Rooms enjoy superb views of the Cathedral and spacious so you won't be disapointed if you try our other room.

I look forward to welcoming you back next year!

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2014

Had a one night stay here. Opted for a cathedral view room and also had the six course taster menu in the Michael Caines restaurant. Staff were very welcoming. Room was lovely, bed was in need of a better mattress and a mirror would have been nice by the sink as my husband could not see whilst shaving! However we really enjoyed our stay and we're not disturbed by noise, as mentioned in other reviews.

Champagne bar was full when we tried to have a pre dinner drink which was a shame so we were told to go to the pub next door (not ideal as it was wet and windy outside). We declined this offer.

Dinner in the restaurant was okay apart from the fluff floating in the glass of wine and being served the disappointing chocolate soufflé which was uncooked - we were advised by the head waiter that this was the way Michael Caines always served them......I think not!

Breakfast was excellent. Great choice and cooked to order.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ‘sunandsnow123’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay. I pleased overall you enjoyed your city break and sorry to hear about the points you raised at dinner. I will feed this back to both Front and Back of House to ensure this is attended to.

I hope to welcome you back in the near the future.