“Great location & food!”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here for work in room 113. The hotel is in a fantastic location so would highly recommend for any stays in the city. Looks great & although the room was quite small, it has everything you need & it's of a good quality. The downside of my room was location in the hotel (above alley that runs alongside with a pub/shops outside & even on a Tues night, it was quite noisy - I can see it being too much on a weekend). The room was also very stuffy so I had to have the window open & the air con did not doing anything, could not be adjusted & was noisy. As others had said, the bed is incredibly soft - nice to lounge on but you can be a bit sore by morning after a nights' sleep. The bathroom is nice but had hair on the floor & in the shower which is a bit off-putting. The shower ran hot/cold & shoots out past the door onto the floor. The head is so high you don't have a hope of moving it so saturated the bath towel & bathroom floor by the end of the shower - even with me standing in there trying to block it.

On the plus side (this sounds quite negative but it's just the facts about room 113 & I would recommend & stay again), the hotel is in a great location and the quality of the products (tea/coffee/biscuits and bathroom products) is high & the bed is good quality & fine if you like it soft. If they fixed the air con and moved the shower head it would be fine!

The staff are extremely friendly & professional & make you feel welcome. I had dinner & breakfast in the restaurant & both were excellent. The restaurant is a Michael Caines one & for very cheap (around £17 for 2 courses, £22 for 3 courses) you can have a good range of options from their set menu. I had sea bream starter & braised lamb shoulder main, both of which were excellent. The wine list is extensive but very expensive, that being said, a carafe of their cheapest red (a Malbec) was lovely and around £16 from memory & fine to go with dinner for one! Breakfast was excellent with a good range of cereals & juice & large range of hot options for order off the menu. Despite the issues with the room, I would definitely stay here again for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: As other travellers have said, try to avoid the Greene Man pub side...I was in 113 & even though...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dada1983
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear ‘Dada1983’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay and noted all of your comments where action will be taken where possible.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Matt

Write a ReviewReviews (1,288)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Decided to book this beautiful hotel as locals, living half an hour away. We were very pleased with our room, and the hotel is in such a beautiful location. Our room was lovely, just the basic, and for a couple it felt cosy and not part of a chain. Very clean and decoration was unique and different.

We ate in The Gill, and the meal was superb. The staff in there, particularly the Russian lady whose name we didn't get. They couldn't do enough and the food was local and excellent. I agree with the other review that it lacks atmosphere, feeling a bit stark, but that is all.

Sleep was OK, but the room we had was a bit noisy with the city centre "revellers" out for a good time until the early hours.

Breakfast was again excellent, and the staff couldn't do enough.

I would highly recommend Abode Exeter for the friendly staff, excellent Champagne bar and wonderful grill. You don't need to have the fine dining experience to appreciate this lovely establishment.

What stood out most were the staff, all first class, friendly, relaxed and so professional. The Michael Caines brand is safe in their hands.

Thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Avoid anything overlooking the pub in the alleyway.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘JASmoss’

Thank you for your review. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. The team are an integral part of our Hotel and it is always pleasing to hear such positive comments and I will ensure Alice receives your thanks for service in the Café Bar.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a wonderfully situated Hotel overlooking the Cathedral green ..The staff are most welcoming..and the food is of a high standard..That's the rough outline, now to the bedroom..It is of a good size ..a very large comfy bed with a bath behind it..which looks a little strange ..but you soon get used to it..a nice bathroom..and then there is the floor..The beams that support it have changed shape somewhat over the centuries consequently the floor is of the sloping variety..the oak boards have been laid to accommodate the slope so the floor is flat..but on a slope if you get my meaning.. anyways it adds a certain charm to the room at no extra cost..
The downsize ..or downslide to this is the bed is on a slope...I slept on the top of the slope ..which meant by morning I was guilty of that most dastardly of sins.."Stealing her side of the Bed" that it was accidental is not considered an excuse ..all men reading this will know exactly what I mean..I possibly did not help my cause when I suggested that the bed being of the large variety(6ft wide) we should call it a Mormon bed and get some sister wives installed..This innovative idea was met with silence so I perceived that it was an idea whose time had not yet come or was likely to anytime soon..When conversation recommenced my true love opined somewhat lyrically that it was like sleeping on a cloud..and in truth it was indeed very comfortable..
Next door is a Pub called the Ship one of whose past patrons was Sir Francis Drake who said some kind words about the place which you can view on the outside of the building..it is worth remembering that the last time he was there was in 1587..when beer was a penny a gallon..prices have risen somewhat in the intervening years
We were happily impressed with the Abode and will ..hopefully.. return ..
Highly recommended..

Room Tip: The front faces the Cathedral ..the side faces the Pub.. Decide which view suits you best and recept...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank avalonsilver
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear ‘avalonsilver’

Thank you on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed at the abode over the Easter weekend, it was a lovely hotel that I would recommend it to anyone staying in Exeter. We arrived late on the Friday evening and the hotel were very welcoming on arrival. We had a room on the 3rd floor overlooking the cathedral. Since we were late arriving we had a meal in the cafe bar, the meal was excellent, way above standard for what you expect for a cafe bar. Afterwards we had champagne in the champagne bar, prices were what you would expect in a hotel. It was nice.

The room was very clean, a little on the small side but very comfortable. We even had a free thorntons Easter egg. From what I know there was no wifi but the place next door had free wifi that we could hook up to.

The hotel was right in the centre, literally 30 seconds walk to all the shops, this was great for a Saturday morning shop.

The hotel has a restaurant by Michael Caines, we tried to get a reservation but it was full, to be fair we left it till last minute so didn't expect to get a table. Breakfast was served in the restaurant and the service was outstanding. The staff could not do enough for you and would create a breakfast to suit your requirements. I would highly recommend it.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ‘kellymarie81’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay. It is a shame you did not the opportunity to try our Fine Dine Restaurant, hopefully next time but pleased you enjoyed the food in Café Bar.

We have complimentary Wi Fi throughout the Hotel powered by BT, which may have been what you were on.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Went to a friends wedding and had an upstairs room with a dedicated bar. For what looks like quite an expensive hotel, the drinks were reasonably priced. Usually in a place like this I'd expect to be ripped off for drinks but a pint was less than £4. For two nights I was quoted over £180 but you are smack by the cathedral. If that's what you want there's the premium.
The bar staff was great and there was never a queue at the bar. Can't comment on the rooms as I didn't see any of them.
From what I did see it was fine. And as a wedding venue it worked. They had 90 guests and I would say that is the max for the room we had. The food was nice and the evening buffet was excellent.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear ‘Nick P’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m pleased you enjoyed coming along to the wedding from last weekend and enjoyed our excellent food and service. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Matt Collins

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Excellent room, with a big bath in the room, perfect for relaxing reading a book. Bed big and comfortable and pillows perfect, with different sizes to allow for any preference. The breakfast, both continental and cooked was good, only the coffee not the best choice. Just in front of yhe cathedral, perfect place. I didn't like the view from my windows, as it was in front of a wall, and, worse, with some windows in it. There was no curtain to block yhe view without blocking the light.

Room Tip: Ask for the view from the room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear ‘Mariliasaca s’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit to ABode Exeter, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Matt Collins

Reviewed 29 April 2014

What a lovely surprise to be staying at ABode. We had a lovely room on 3rd floor overlooking the Cathedral. When checking in the staff at reception were very friendly and helpful. We had champagne in the Champagne Bar, I highly recommend this.
Deciding late afternoon to dine in the restaurant we were very impressed with the waiter that dealt with our request and phoned our room to confirm our booking.
As far as the meal itself goes I cannot explain what a treat it was and how beautifully displayed on the plate. The tasting of these Signature dishes was truly amazing.
We slept really well and the bed was very large and comfortable.
Breakfast is relaxed and there is a great choice.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and always had a smile.
I would stay here again, no problem. The car park isn't too far away considering you are in the city centre and reception offer the parking ticket at a reduced price. Good value as the car park is locked overnight so you are assured of safety!

Room Tip: Rooms at front have amazing views of cathedral.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear ‘London Scooper’

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding you’re your most recent stay, it is pleasing to hear all aspects were of a high standard particularly with regards to my Team.

I look forward to welcoming you back.