“Olde Worlde charm” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Mombasa, Kenya
“Olde Worlde charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

Spent two nights in March. The hotel is very central, opposite Exeter Cathedral and it was easy to get around the nearby town centre on foot. Taxis are easily available if ordered at Reception. My room while not having a great view (lower roof and another building) had everything you might need and the bed was very comfortable. I loved the old fashioned lift and the uneven stairs. Downstairs there is a cosy little bar which seemed very popular and I felt totally at ease having a drink on my own there.
If you want somewhere to go for breakfast or a delicious meal, turn left walk about 100 feet and eat at the Tea on the Green!
Would I stay again - yes definitely.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter - Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear ‘Sue K’

Thank so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay in March this year, I am pleased you enjoyed the charm of our building and your short break with us.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Matt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Tenby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Great location , staff all good , but stayed here on Saturday night , first night away with my wife since back from a business trip , back to our room on the second floor and we were hit by the noise , night club/bar next door .When I mentioned this to duty manager he told me it was a city Hotel and I should expect it ? Well am sure Guangzhou and Hong Kong are both bigger cities and did not have this problem there ! We where moved to a smaller room on the first floor and I had a very good sleep indeed and a view of the cathedral .But if this Hotel had been full not sure what we would of done as it was a wall of sound that hit us not a whisper .Be Warned make sure you tell them when booking that you want a quiet room .Unless you don't of course

Room Tip: Ask for quiet away from night club .
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter - Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear ‘654richard’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I’m sorry you were disturbed by the pub next door. We do all we can to monitor the noise and take action when notified and speak to the owners. We have double glazing and are investigating further ways to help reduce the impact on the small number of rooms affected.

I am pleased we managed to overcome this at the time and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

There is the most wonderful atmosphere in this hotel. It starts with the general manager Matt who when we phoned him came to rescue us from the one way system on the wrong side of the cathedral green. He came in our car to the hotel and brought in our bags himself. Inside the staff, perhaps influenced by him, were equally kind and helpful and in our whole stay of four nights seemed to do everything they could to be helpful. This feel good factor gave us a feeling of well being during our whole stay.
The location of the hotel is perfect overlooking the cathedral and it was lovely seeing the tower through our window as we woke in the mornings.
There are a few small problems.. Our room although not the smallest was still small with little surface areas and almost no drawers. The hangars were of the captive type (In other words you cannot be trusted not to steal them) and the bathroom was cramped with the shower in the bath. The hall carpets were frayed. We appreciated the free WiFi.
The cooked breakfasts were excellent each one cooked for you and the choice included proper kippers instead of mere fillets. Strangely the continental breakfast was very limited with little choice with no cheeses or cold meats.
These however are minor gripes if ever I came back to Exeter I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: It is essential to be on the cathedral side both because of the view and it is quiet.
Dear ’Geraldmichael’

Thank you so much for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I will pass on your kind comments to the team.

Please let me know next time you are staying so I can personally welcome you.

Charlestown, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

Great location and seemingly nice though the decor is now a little tired throughout. Price was good had everything been great but our room at night had air con that could only be set at freezing or off. We tried off but then the room became a bit sauna like with lack of air flow despite opening the window. So we huddled under the duvet with the air con on not able to put an extremity outside in case it froze off! The linen was lovely and soft but let down by the mattress being quite soft and slightly saggy. The staff were good and friendly but there was some concern at some point if the council run car park where they recommend you park would be open in time and allow us to get our car out in time for our early morning flight. Don't park in the section of the car park that closes overnight if you're planning to drive off before 6 am! We didn't eat or have breakfast there so can't comment on the food. £4.65 for a bottle of water though was taking the Michael!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fboyuk
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter - Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear ‘fboyuk’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry to hear not everything was to your liking and I noted down all your comments and will take appropriate action. The guest corridors are currently undergoing a refresh and we have plans to renovate the remaining rooms and ground floor in the near future.

The Mary Arches Car Park gets locked at midnight and opens at 7am in the morning, there is an outside area where it is accessible 24 hours a day for those who may need to leave early.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Matt Collins
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I booked a room and an a la carte table
For my husbands 40th birthday.
The day was sunny, we had been upgraded to a mini suite which was very very cool
With the largest bed I have ever slept in ( I want one!!!). To begin with I took a soak in the roll top bath overlooking the cathedral green the sun shining in the window! The shower was hot and fast! Cocktails In the champagne lounge were excellent in variation & price- the meal that followed was awesome. We were joined by another couple, all had the sample menu with wines - the food was beyond compare, the wines selected with obvious care and knowledge (no hang over the next day!!) - all too soon all over but with the added benefit of having the room until noon on Sunday- worth
Every penny - we are planning on saving up for a return for my 50th. Thank you everyone at Abode Exeter for a wonderful weekend ( our first child free weekend in 4 years)!!!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear ‘Minibee45’

Thank you so much for such a nice review, we are all so pleased your husbands 40th Birthday was memorable. I will ensure the team receive your feedback from your stay and look forward to welcoming you back on your 50th Birthday.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel is by far our favourite in Exeter.
Amazing team of staff from reception to bar to restaurant to breakfast to check out. Each person could not have been more welcoming or professional.
They even put us in the same room we had stayed in previously which I thought was a really super touch. Treated like old friends and not guests.
The restaurant was super as was breakfast. This hotel should be to go to in Exeter for Value, luxury and service.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear ‘jotobe39’

Wow thank you for such a lovely review. I’m so pleased you continue to enjoy your visits to ABode Exeter and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here for work in room 113. The hotel is in a fantastic location so would highly recommend for any stays in the city. Looks great & although the room was quite small, it has everything you need & it's of a good quality. The downside of my room was location in the hotel (above alley that runs alongside with a pub/shops outside & even on a Tues night, it was quite noisy - I can see it being too much on a weekend). The room was also very stuffy so I had to have the window open & the air con did not doing anything, could not be adjusted & was noisy. As others had said, the bed is incredibly soft - nice to lounge on but you can be a bit sore by morning after a nights' sleep. The bathroom is nice but had hair on the floor & in the shower which is a bit off-putting. The shower ran hot/cold & shoots out past the door onto the floor. The head is so high you don't have a hope of moving it so saturated the bath towel & bathroom floor by the end of the shower - even with me standing in there trying to block it.

On the plus side (this sounds quite negative but it's just the facts about room 113 & I would recommend & stay again), the hotel is in a great location and the quality of the products (tea/coffee/biscuits and bathroom products) is high & the bed is good quality & fine if you like it soft. If they fixed the air con and moved the shower head it would be fine!

The staff are extremely friendly & professional & make you feel welcome. I had dinner & breakfast in the restaurant & both were excellent. The restaurant is a Michael Caines one & for very cheap (around £17 for 2 courses, £22 for 3 courses) you can have a good range of options from their set menu. I had sea bream starter & braised lamb shoulder main, both of which were excellent. The wine list is extensive but very expensive, that being said, a carafe of their cheapest red (a Malbec) was lovely and around £16 from memory & fine to go with dinner for one! Breakfast was excellent with a good range of cereals & juice & large range of hot options for order off the menu. Despite the issues with the room, I would definitely stay here again for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: As other travellers have said, try to avoid the Greene Man pub side...I was in 113 & even though...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dada1983
Dear ‘Dada1983’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased overall you enjoyed your stay and noted all of your comments where action will be taken where possible.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.