“disappointing”

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Ilfracombe
“disappointing”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

location is very good BUT some of the overnight rooms are really not up to scratch - very difficult access down stairs to open door - ditto to close door; dark, unable to open window due to noise of AC units/kitchen vent system ... claustrophobic - no bath

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear ‘Jane R’

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear you did not like the room you stayed in. We have a variety of rooms of different sizes, bathroom configuration and views.

Please let me know the next time you wish to stay so I can personally welcome you and show you the different rooms we have available..

Matt Collins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

I was greeted very nicely when arriving and offered the opportunity to upgrade if I wanted to.

Unfortunately I was only there for a very short period of time as I was out for dinner and then leaving at 6 in the morning. However everything I saw was excellent and I really would like to go back and enjoy the hotel with my family.

Nothing was a problem at the front desk and on getting back late the front desk man ordered me a taxi for the morning. On getting up in the morning the same man was there and as friendly as helpful as he was the night before and I had had six hours sleep and he hadn't. Ordered me the cab and a real advert for excellent service and I was sorry to leave.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear ‘Richard L’

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your most recent stay. It is always nice hear such positive comments regarding my team and will ensure they receive the recognition they deserve.

I hope to welcome you back soon.

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Enjoyed our stay near the cathedral. Room was well furnished and spacious and the staff were excellent, very professional. Our only downside was the heat of the room and couldn't keep the windows open due to the noise outside - it was a Saturday night. Breakfast was fantastic. Could also leave luggage to collect later in the day which was helpful.

Room Tip: Facing the cathedral not the walkway to high street
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear ‘Karen B’

Thank you for your review, I’m pleased to hear my team provided a high level of service but sorry to hear the temperature in your room was too high. We have Comfort cooling and heating in all our rooms but understand not everyone likes to use whilst sleeping so can provide fans on request.

Please contact me direct next time you wish to stay and I will personally ensure everything is in order.

Portland
Reviewed 25 May 2014

What a warm welcome from charming staff. A well appointed hotel with plenty of extras as standard in the room. A very comfortable bed, with fine cotton sheets. A very pleasant stay. We didn't eat there so I can't comment on the food, although the restaurant looked very inviting

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear ‘John H’

Thank you so much for your review, I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were looked after by Team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My wife and I called in to the restaurant for lunch during a recent day visit to Exeter. We did not wish to spend time over a long lingering lunch, and so we settled for the two or three course fixed price lunch, which was absolutely first class. Should we visit Exeter again we would definately revisit.

Room Tip: Used the restaurant only so can not comment on the hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear ‘Robert R’

Thank you for your review I’m so pleased you both enjoyed our fixed price menu on your visit and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Mayfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The restaurant is so good that it's worth going, no question. Michael Caines cuisine by night and excellent breakfast in the morning. Service is attentive. Hotel is wonderfully placed next to cathedral and its green it's just a shame it's not quite right... Rooms are ok but with awkward corners but worse was fierce and noisy aircon which made weird noises when switched off seriously disrupting sleep...aaaagh. Such a shame. Would still go back as restaurant is that good!

Room Tip: View at front is worth it - we did not have one except aircon units..
Dear ‘Phillip153’

Thank you for your review, I’m sorry to hear the air conditioning disturbed your sleep and will ensure this is seen to. I am really pleased you enjoyed your meal in Michaels Caines Restaurant and will pass your positive feedback on to the Team.

When you decide to return please contact me direct so I ensure everything is to the standard I set out.

Mombasa, Kenya
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Spent two nights in March. The hotel is very central, opposite Exeter Cathedral and it was easy to get around the nearby town centre on foot. Taxis are easily available if ordered at Reception. My room while not having a great view (lower roof and another building) had everything you might need and the bed was very comfortable. I loved the old fashioned lift and the uneven stairs. Downstairs there is a cosy little bar which seemed very popular and I felt totally at ease having a drink on my own there.
If you want somewhere to go for breakfast or a delicious meal, turn left walk about 100 feet and eat at the Tea on the Green!
Would I stay again - yes definitely.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sue K
Dear ‘Sue K’

Thank so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay in March this year, I am pleased you enjoyed the charm of our building and your short break with us.

I hope to welcome you back soon.