“Fantastic location”

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Leicestershire
“Fantastic location”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

First visit to Exeter. Working there for 4 days. Really nice city centre. This hotel is situated in a prime position on the cathedral square, overlooking the cathedral obviously. No parking on site but can park outside to drop bags, check in etc. and then get directions to public car park a short distance away at a concessionary rate. All staff were very helpful and friendly, always wearing a smile! Rooms are comfortable, clean and well equipped, although personally could do with a firmer mattress. Breakfast was superb, good choice and always cooked fresh. Didn't eat in for dinner as was with colleagues for a change to ventured out each night. Tavern next door was the perfect place to sit outside on a pleasant evening after a days working and sample the many and frequently changing real ales. This is connected to the hotel and you can charge food/drinks to your room. Staff in here also helpful and knowledgable on the ales they are serving. Helpful to try a taster before you order a pint.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Atters68
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear ‘Atters68’

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I’m pleased you liked our Tavern, we change the Ales regularly and always encourage our guests to try, I will pass on your comments to the Tavern Team who will be pleased to hear.

Matt Collins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
London
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly one of the best locations in Exeter adjacent to the cathedral. checkin was excellent and very welcoming and friendly. The rooms are a good size and the bed was comfortable. Hotel was very clean with good ammenities. Champagne bar is lovely. Only thing was street facing there was a little too much noise first thing in the morning but would stay there again

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear ‘SW44London’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay, we are so pleased you would highly recommend us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We only stayed for one night but were very impressed with everything in the hotel. The staff being excellent. Great location and very noise free. Would certainly recommend to anyone wanting a central location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear ‘Neil O’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back soon.

Kennford
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Excellent staff, wonderful location, superb atmosphere. Very highly recommended to others.
Beautiful restaurant. I can only thanks the General Manager and staff for their hospitality and for making this stay a very happy and memorable occasion. We will be back here again.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear ‘Atrac007’

Thank you so much on behalf of the Brownsword family for your review. I’m so happy to hear such positive comments regarding my hard working team and will pass them.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Maidenhead, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I have been coming to this hotel since 2006 and it's amazing, never ceases to impress me.
The rooms are all so unusual and quirky and the ones with a view over the cathedral yard are outstanding.

The reception staff (Bryony) and restaurant staff (Angela) make the place somewhere that makes you want to keep coming back...again and again!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear ‘Shaun D’

Thank you your review, I’m so pleased you continue to stay with us, I will pass on your thanks to my team who very much appreciate the positive feedback.

Matt
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I visited Exeter for work (at very nearby Princesshay) and so the location of the Abode was perfect for me, and also sits in front of the beautiful cathedral.
Inside it is clear that the building is listed, and it is nice to wonder around the various higgledy-piggedly levels. That said, the rooms are nice decorated, very very spacious, and feel quite luxurious (even the lower tier ones!).

The staff were very accommodating, and the breakfast staff very kindly let me take my breakfast away since I was on a very tight schedule (thank you! Pretty sure they weren't necessarily supposed to do this, but I appreciate the effort, and hope no one got into trouble!)

The only points I would make is that sound travels in the building, and I could hear the the ground floor clock chiming despite being some distance away, and that they could do with having more power sockets, specifically next to the [enormous] bed, so that I could charge the phone that I use as an alarm.

Will definitely use this hotel again, as I will be working from Exeter regularly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear ‘pdanser’

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your most recent stay with us. It is nice to hear you enjoyed your stay and my team accommodated your requests with minimal fuss.

I have noted your comments and when we carry out future work on bedrooms scheduled for early next year we will look to address both points.

Hayle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My friend and myself stayed here for one night over the weekend and cannot wait to return! Very professional, friendly and helpful staff makes things so more relaxing. Our room was ideal in size for a standard room though I'd have loved a cathedral view as ours overlooked the alleyway and therein lay our only real problem. The noise in the morning was pretty bad but to be fair you have to allow for life continuing on as normal and it can't stop just because you are on a break! It was just the noise of what I can only imagine was trolleys of supplies being pulled across the cobbled streets but boy was it noisy! I only had one serious complaint which was that at 9am we were disturbed by a window cleaner outside washing our windows and we were still in bed with the curtains back. We're female so were very embarrassed to say the least. About half an hour later he knocked on our door to clean the insides but we sent him away! I so needed this short break and it was everything I wanted it to be. The hotel location is as perfect as it gets! Walking distance to Exeter Central station, the shops literally on your doorstep and the loveliest coffee shops and places to eat there as well. Cannot praise this hotel high enough and we're already planning a break later on this year! Missing you already Royal Clarence! :-(

Room Tip: I'd have loved a cathedral view but appreciate that it would be impossible for the hotel to guar...