“a wonderful treat”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #14 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here to celebrate my big scary birthday in June. It was a wonderful surprise to find that we had been upgraded to a fantastic room overlooking Cathedral Green.
A stunning range of toiletries and luxury bathroom and shower facilities were a key feature of the experience, and a massive bed!
The only downside, being above the pub next door meant a lot of noise till midnight, but it didn't detract from the overall sense of luxury and being thoroughly pampered.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank McLean-Buechel
There are newer reviews for ABode Exeter

Reviewed 12 August 2014

A quite impressive hotel at the heart of Exeter. The view of the cathedral is astounding, especially when your room is upgraded! But all of the other rooms are an exceptional quality.  The staff are excellent, engaging and willing to make things as easy for you as they can.

The decor is quite unusual; the stately mix of the former life as the Royal Clarence Hotel, its grand stained glass still there on the aged staircase, seemingly at odds with the contemporary elegance of it's suites.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darren M
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We booked to stay for one night for a family celebration......when we arrived we were very pleased to be told we had received an upgrade to one of the suites. This was a stunning room at the top of the hotel (good workout climbing the stairs!) so really appreciated the upgrade and had a great nights stay. all staff were pleasant and very helpful and friendly.

Would definitely stay there again......even if we didn't get an upgrade.

The weather was brilliant so the location of the hotel in the corner of Cathedral Yard was shown at its best. Just a short walk to all the city has to offer.

many thanks for the upgrade.

Room Tip: the suite was fantastic
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 54BJC
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed here on business and had a standard double room on the second floor.

The hotel is very well located in the centre of Exeter right opposite the cathedral and is a super location for visiting the town. It is more or less a traffic free zone which means that is is quiet and that is a plus.

I was initially allocated a room on the first floor which, when I entered found it had a rather unpleasant smell in it, I think it may have been something to do with the air conditioning unit. The room had no outlook whatever, a brick wall a few feet away. I was moved into another room on the second floor which was certainly better, brighter with a bit of an outlook, at least I could see sky over other buildings.

As for the room, the room whilst a double was small with only enough room to walk around the bed. There was no arm chair or other comfortable chair, only an upright chair at the dressing table. The bed was comfortable. As for the bathroom! If your hobby is swinging cats don't try it in the bathroom. To say it was small is a gross understatement; it was tiny and I mean tiny; all credit to the designer who managed to squeeze in the essentials of toilet basin and shower. The only problem was using the sink, it was quite difficult to clean your teeth over the basin because it was so small and the positioning of the taps.

The room was just ok for me, I was on my own and could manage for two nights. Had my wife been with me, it would have been tortuous, and neither of us are large people. I know this is a very old building with charm but it may have been better to have sacrificed a room somewhere to create more space to have a bathroom that could be used properly.

However,the hotel did redeem itself with breakfast. It was nice to receive proper service from staff who were friendly and polite. There was a buffet with cereals fruit etc which was nice enough, but the choice of fruit on offer could be improved. The choice of cooked food was quite extensive and what I had was really lovely, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs one day and eggs Benedict the next. Also, it was nice to get proper toast and a cafetiere of coffe.

Reception staff were also very friendly, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Les T
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We enjoyed a one night stay at Abode and we were extremely pleased with our choice. The hotel is situated in Cathedral Square is an excellent place to explore Exeter. Our room was very comfortable although the bed was too soft for our liking. The shower room was well appointed and had good quality toiletries and lovely soft towels. The room also had a safe, iron and ironing board and free wifi. Everything was of a high standard. The breakfast room was elegant and the service was impeccable, good selection of cold and hot which was cooked to order. We really enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate in recommending Abode.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a beautiful, recently renovated hotel that has a marvellous setting in Exeter Cathedral Close. The only downside to the location is that the city carpark is a five-minute walk away, though you can briefly unload outside the hotel itself (if you can find your way there in the car). My gorgeous room overlooked the Close, so my view was of the north side of the Cathedral: aaah. The Close is quite busy, but the noise didn't disturb me, particularly. The room I was in (7?) is decorated to a very high level of comfort. A large claw-foot bath sat at the top of the room, with a huge shower, and very contemporary, quality decor. I loved it. I had breakfast delivered by room service, which was super.

Room Tip: I loved my room at the front of the hotel, overlooking the cathedral.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank EMT64
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Room 104 faces a brickwall in a lightwell and directly overlooks a long row of bins, there is a background buzzing sound from the air conditioning units in the light well so we closed the window and the secondary glazing and turned on the air conditioning - a rattling sound started from the grille in the room louder than the lightwell noise, so we switched it off and reopened the window and went to bed after arriving late from our flight. At 6am there was much clattering and slamming of bin lids below in the light well which carried on and got louder so we got up as sleep was impossible. It is a shame as there are good things about the room - the bed was comfortable, the decoration is recent and the shower is generous, although the washbasin is unusable and small. We complained when we checked out and were offered 25% off our next stay by the manager. I won't stay here again as I think for £82 you should get a good nights sleep - I'm afraid we didn't and I am not tempted back for more of the same.

Room Tip: Do not stay in any of the rooms numbered 101-108
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business