“LOVE ABODE !” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
London, United Kingdom
“LOVE ABODE !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Always an incredible stay at the Abode
Friendly hotel service and staff
wonderful comforts from the room with a view
spotless and clean and just overall a lovely stay

Always chose the Abode when visiting Exeter

Room Tip: Enviable rooms are worth it and front views are fab with the Cathedral
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, General Manager at ABode Exeter - Temporarily Closed, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear ‘BeachBumsumm…’

Thank you for such a nice review, it is always good to hear that our returning guests enjoy their return visits as much as the first.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the furture.

Many thanks

Matt Collins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

First if you have luggage and exit the train station do take a taxi if you are geriatric and slightly disabled. I listened to a well meaning local and got misinformation. The hotel is off the Cathedral yard and much of the area around it is pedestrianised, but there is vehicle access and my advice would be to take it. However with light luggage it is possible to walk up the hill. The Art Gallery does a great lunch and has lockers for luggage.

The room at this hotel was great fun, though this may be what we policy wonks call an “unintended consequence”. It is clearly designed to be sympathetic to disabled occupants however there are some issues. First it took me a while to work out that I was not walking awkwardly. It’s a very old building and though charmingly renovated, it has, rather like me, some creaking bones. I sat on the end of the bed and notice a significant drop in floor level from one side of the wardrobe to the other. And I thought I had the problem!! I had requested a shower and indicated I preferred not to have shower over bath arrangements. There is a bath in the actual room, which I found a useful and picturesque means of storing luggage, and a huge shower room. The loo is separate from the shower and quite narrow and I am not sure that anyone using, for example, a wheelchair or walking frame would find it comfortable. The bathing facilities are also up a step from the bed.

This means that for night visits I stepped out onto the uneven floor, removed the skittering floor rug and stepped up to the facilities. The washbasin provides some support but the whole experience is a little odd and after I’d worked it all out, was hysterically funny. That being said I am not in a wheelchair.

The bed was superbly comfortable and the meals I had in house pleasant enough.
There were a couple of steps in the corridor to actually access the room and there is an interesting slope on the floor of the entrance to the room. The lift was reliable. I like their “to go” breakfast, very useful for train journeys and day trips. Staff were lovely, very friendly and helpful organising taxis and providing train and other information. Wifi access was excellent. The view across Cathedral Yard and proximity to Exeter Cathedral, ease of access to local shops and amenities, plus the friendly staff make up for any architectural oddities, and I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank doneworkingAustralia
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We've stayed in this hotel on many occasions, usually taking advantage of their special promotions. This time we decided on a room only stay and booked a desirable room, with a request for a room with Cathedral views. Our room was delightful, spacious with a very very large and comfortable bed and it came with the requested view of the Cathedral and a lovely box of chocolates. We choose not to eat in the hotel as our past experiences dining here hadn't been great. The space and comfort offered by the introductory level rooms aren't for us but the desirable level rooms are lovely and worth paying the small amount more.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane B
Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I booked a two night stay here as part of a trip to the West Country; The hotel is in a magnificent location directly opposite to the Cathedral and in the centre of town. Check in was efficient and directions and instructions for the off-site parking clear and concise but the whole thing lacked the warmth and friendliness that makes you feel "special" or a "wanted guest". Our room whilst of reasonable proportions and fairly well equipped was at the back of the hotel with a very tiny high frosted glass window which gave the impression of being in a cell if you were in the room for any extended period. We had planned to eat in the hotels restaurant but were put off by the cool almost dismissive attitude of the staff and ate all our meals in other venues where we felt far more welcomed ... On the whole a sadly disappointing experience

Room Tip: Ensure you have a room at the front of the hotel with a cathedral view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Farah B
Ambler, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here with a choir group for six nights and was pleasantly surprised at the upscale accommodations. It was in a perfect location for our residency at the Cathedral. My room was a wonderful retreat at the end of each busy day, especially with a/c. Housekeeping was good, and the service in general was fine. My only complaint is the slow breakfast service in the dining room, which had some of us quite anxious as we were on a tight schedule. Some of the staff seemed to not care at all. Food for breakfast and our group dinners was really nice.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Leicester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked the hotel as a relatively cheap (£124) place for an overnight stay on short notice, for a business trip. It was much better than I nhad anticipated. My reception was warm, friendly and efficient. They had also upgraded my booking and I had a beautiful room with walk-in shower and a free-standing bath. Alas, due to my business commitments, I didn't have a chance to use the bath - perhaps next time!
Check out was equally warm and helpful. They were happy for me to sit in the bar and use the wi-fi until it was time to catch my train, and the excellent coffee was only £2.25. Compare that to what you soend in other hotel bars!
I wish my trip had been longer and I hope to be able to visit again.

Room Tip: Room 315 was lovely!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed here to celebrate my big scary birthday in June. It was a wonderful surprise to find that we had been upgraded to a fantastic room overlooking Cathedral Green.
A stunning range of toiletries and luxury bathroom and shower facilities were a key feature of the experience, and a massive bed!
The only downside, being above the pub next door meant a lot of noise till midnight, but it didn't detract from the overall sense of luxury and being thoroughly pampered.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple