“Just not quite right...”
Review of ABode Exeter

ABode Exeter
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Just not quite right...”
Reviewed 7 March 2011

Not so many years ago, lots of perfectly good, traditional hotels decided that they would turn themselves into "boutique" hotels. In my opinion, in too many cases that meant stripping out all the character, fitting in lots of trendy-looking furniture, but not quite doing the job properly so that things don't work, or they break, or look tacky.
In my opinon, Abode Exeter is one such example. As a starting point, we were a tad surprised that our bedroom had no bath - just a shower. We asked to move to a room with a bath, and were told we'd need to pay to upgrade. Upgrade to get a bath??
We eventually overcame that problem and were moved to another room which did have a bath. But there were things which just weren't right. The view for example - was a view across some scaffolding and into windows on the other side of the alleyway outside. The aircon unit made a horrible rattling noise - so we turned it off - which then meant the room was stuffy. Fantastic looking trendy shower - but not enough water pressure to make it work well. Toilet plumbing cleverly hidden behind a panel on the wall - except the catch on the panel was broken so it hung open. Freeview box for television, but half the time it was only possible to get the sports channels. Room guide talked about how to work the Bose stereo - but there wasn't one. etc etc.
For such an historic city-centre hotel (overlooking the lovely Cathedral Green) you'd expect a nice lounge to catch up with the papers over coffee - but there wasn't one. You also might expect breakfast to be served in the main restaurant overlooking the Cathedral Green - but it was served in the Brasserie overlooking the same alleyway as our bedroom (although breakfast itself was very nice).
Two-course dinner was included in our package price (in the Brasserie) and was excellent - although portions a bit small for my liking.
An historic hotel in lovely city-centre location, but in my opinion spoiled by unsympathetic and not well conceived recent upgrades.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank MikeC_2006

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2011

We booked a weekend special deal direct with the hotel - dinner bed and breakfast - and saved lots of money as we were out of season. Lovely hotel, very clean and comfortable, great staff, AMAZING food, altogether felt very spoilt and pampered here. We have booked to go back again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_Hall290111
edinburgh
Reviewed 15 February 2011

very expensive considering the facillities, restaurant over rated and too fussy. trying to be a premium hotel let down by too many faults. nice efficient staff.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank eskzk38
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2011

They talk about comfortable beds but it just means very, very soft. Quite windy when we were there and as a result quite noisy. Great location but the bed gave us both bad nights sleep and bad backs.

• Stayed February 2011
Hampshire
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Booked this hotel mainly as it had a gym and boasted about great food. I found the website held little detail and so I didn't realise there was no parking until I received my confirmation by email.
It took ages to find, even with a sat nav and I ended up phoning to save me driving round the one-way system all night.
Although you can park outside the hotel to unload and check in, the car park is a walk away through the town and I was worried about my car being so far away and safe over night. It also cost £9 to park. Other hotels I have stayed in, in town centre locations usually have a valet service but I was surprised this one didn't offer that. You then had to make the choice in the morning about whether you take luggage with you to the car, or go get car and then check out.
Room was extremely average. I could have been in a Holiday Inn or Premier Inn for all I knew and there were unsightly stains on the throw over the bed. When I lifted the covers, the sheet came up as well which gave me a glimpse of a yellowy mattress which obviously filled me with joy (not!). My view out the window was of a brick wall which as you can imagine was very inspiring.
The bathroom looked like it had seen better days and it had no where to really put your stuff as the sink was minature.
Anyway, I did use the gym which was extremely basic and it had T.V's which just seemed to come at you when running on the tread mill.
I'd booked the 'happy people' package which included dinner. When I checked in they informed me that this was in their cafe bar and not the main restaurant. On checking it out, it was a set menu that if you were to pay for would be under £10 so really the package was not worth it at all. Saying that the food, although limited choice and portion size, was very nice but I would have liked to have tried the restaurant.
The walls of the bedroom were paper thin and I could hear my neighbours whole conversation with his girlfriend (he had her on speakerphone) which was about midnight!
For me I wouldn't rate this hotel for a business trip, but if you were on holiday then it would be a central location. If you can find a good price then in that situation it may be worth it but I wouldn't pay the full amount they're asking for. I'd much rather find a hotel on the outskirts with free parking and then come in to the town to sight see.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Bongo2
Piatra Neamt, Romania
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We held our wedding breakfast with a small group of family and friends in the Cathederal Lounge in late November. Everything from the arrangement of the day (thanks Stef!) to the food and drinks service and the food itself was impecable. The staff were friendly, attentive yet unintrusive.
In the evening my Wife and I ate in Michael Caines and had the sample menu, again the experience was flawless.
Our particular thanks go to the staff who were a major factor in making our wedding day as special as it was and, like the couple we met in reception who were celebrating their anniversary ( they met in the Hotel a large number of years ago and come back every year) we shall endevour to do the same.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Very charming hotel in a great area of exeter with views of cathedral. The lobby and restraunt are very nice and the room was clean and tidy. However, someting was missing and did not feel we recieved the experience we expected. good stay, but lacked something?!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple