“Too hot to enjoy the comfort I've enjoyed previously.”

Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I have stayed here in and off for 4 years for work but my stay on Tursday last week will probably be my last. The room was far too hot and despite keeping the window open all night, made little difference. Room service was quick and friendly but the Chicken Caesar Salad whilst tasty, was far from traditional, more shredded iceberg with too much dressing served with unimaginative tomato quarters and cucumber slices (I just expected something more refined). The bed was large, clean (once I removed a heavily stained throw) and very comfortable. Being woken at 2.30am by rowdy guests was unusual for that hotel and very frustrating, especially as the noise continued. I did enjoy the smoked haddock and poached eggs for breakfast served by friendly, competent staff. Overall, this hotel was once was a favourite but I'll be searching elsewhere as staff couldn't guarantee a cool room in the future. I'll miss the friendly, convenient, comfort.

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Peaceful location, we were room only ,go into town for breakfast much cheaper. Room on the small side ,staff very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Our reason for staying was a brief spell in the hospital for my husband. It is however,
a wonderful situation to explore the Exeter environs. Out of awful city centre traffic. Really easy to get to the hospital by car, and an even easier bus trip into the city.

The hotel is situated in a quiet location and is surrounded by the most lovely gardens with fabulous ancient trees. The rooms are pleasant but rather overheated. No problem as the next morning we change rooms to a much airier one. The garden full of lively squirrels was wonderful.

As a single woman I felt quite at ease having a very enjoyable bar meal. The staff are exceptionally pleasant and helpful - barr one young person, who needs to improve their interpersonal skills. I did not eat in the restaurant but the lounge bar food was very acceptable. Restaurant breakfast was delicious.

We had one real complaint. In a four star hotel, why do the bathrooms not have extractor fans? I do hope the owners read this and pay attention. Also, please employ a new interior (bedrooms) decorator. Brown, beige, bricks - what happened to colour design?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2011

This was the 3rd time I have stayed here on business, the last being more than 10 years ago. It was just as good as I remembered it.
The location is fine but if you want to eat somewhere other than the hotel you face a drive or a long walk. The plus side of being out of the city centre is more space. ample car parking on the flat and a very nice ambiance. The old parts of the lodge are lovely.
The room was spotlessly clean and had everything I needed. My only complaint (a minor one at that)was that the room was a little too warm and I couldn't cool it down. It did not stop me getting a good nights sleep though.
I only had a bar snack not a full meal so I can't comment on the restaurant. My bar snack was very nice and well presented.

Breakfast was the traditional english but done very well. Mine set me up for the day.

All of the staff that I encountered were cheerful and helpful. I will stay there again if I return to Exeter.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 October 2011

No negatives, everything was very pleasant and agree with all the positives in other reviews. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This was a very nice hotel ,from the warm greeting on arrival, much appreciated after a long drive to get here, to getting into a truly lovely room. A nice big bed, and enormous bathroom with a larger than normal bath, great shower,and all beautifully clean. We were eating out so can't review the restaurant, but breakfast in the morning was good. They have lots of choice, both continental and full English. I have no hesitation in recommending this as a good place to stay for Exeter. The only negative would be their location is a bit from the centre so you'd need a car / Taxi to get into the centre comfortably.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank richardw12
Tony020, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2011

We were very pleased to read that you enjioyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Tony Cannon

Reviewed 20 August 2011

Buckerell Lodge is set on a very busy road which is used by commuters. However, this does not impact on the comfort of the hotel. It is very quiet once inside, but even sitting in the garden , the traffic does not cause a noise nuisance. The room we stayed in was 37 and it was situated to the side of the hotel, just to the side of the kitchen. That said, we never had ANY noise from the kitchen and there were absolutely NO ominous smells coming from it. It overlooks the back garden and those of the residential area, although it is quite private as there is a high wall and fruit trees.
The room cleanliness was excellent, cannot fault housekeeping at all. Hospitality tray was refilled daily and there is a safe in the rooms with a plug inside it to recharge appliances like laptops and mobile phones. Towels are fresh every day and the bathroom is of very high spec. chrome and tiles and very good products to use.
The food is very nice, a little on the high side with sandwiches in the bar staring at £6 and main meals in the region of £12 upwards, but it was easier for us to go into town and eat cheaper in the evenings. There is also a Beefeater at the end of the road. Bar prices are pretty much the norm. Staff very nice and attentive, a mix of British and foreign national (they all speak good english). Yes there are noisy wedding parties held as this hotel caters for weddings and conferences, but usually the weddings are only on Saturday nights. The bar at this time gets very crowded, so it would have been a better idea for the hotel to have had a bar specially for it's function room, maybe something for hotel owners to consider for the future?? The noise of the wedding revellers do not impact the bedrooms of the hotel. And we had a very peaceful sleep every night. I would recommend this hotel for a nice break-away.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LadyMorticia67
Tony020, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to com[plete a review about the hotel and thank you for your positive comments. With regard to menu prices, we will be introducing a new all-day menu which I hope everyone will find dishes to suit their particular requirements.
Whilst we do not have any firm plans to introduce a separate Bar for private functions, we will certainly consider your comments when we are next looking at plans for the ground floor.
Tony Cannon