“Great stay”

Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Bristol, England
“Great stay”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here on business for one night with 5 others. From the outside it looked like it was going to be an old-fashioned B&B but upon entering the room it was very contemporary and felt welcoming. Room was lovely and warm, bed huge for one and bathroom clean. There were a few bangs from the heavy doors but I didn't hear any when going to bed or in the morning.
Receptionists could be a bit more professional but had a pleasant stay and would use again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Roxxyx
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review!
I will pass all of your comments on to my staff who will be delighted to hear them.
We all look forward to seeing you again soon.
Thanks once again for the wonderful review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Dorset
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stopped here for the night last night. Arrived fairly late and from the outside it looked quite nice. The inside was a little tired looking but generally fairly nice and comfortable. Was not impressed by the Receptionist sneezing violently all over the place in front of us mind you. We were told where to find our rooms and I was looking for a lift (not being lazy but I have a bad leg at the moment). Upon entering the bedroom (Room number 27) I was hit by a pungent aroma emanating from the bathroom. MOULD !! The bathroom was clean but where WAS that smell coming from? Upon inspection, I could see spots of mould around the bath. As it was very late and my travelling companion was very tired, I felt it now worth making an issue and just kept the bathroom firmly shut. Apart from that, the room was adequate for our needs. Surprised by the review Im just looking at regarding breakfast, ours was lovely scrambled eggs were the best I have tasted and there was plenty of it... PILES in fact. A limited choice of cereal and continental breakfast but on the whole it was nice and very good for £10.00. The staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Creteliz
Thank you for your review.
We have investigated your comments and acted accordingly.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Bideford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My partner and I decided to come away for a much needed break and I researched extensively to find a comfy and quaint hotel, this hotel appeared to tick all the boxes. On arrival we were greeted by a surly receptionist who seemed focused on telling us to call reception if we needed a taxi, we asked for taxi numbers and she couldn't give us any, we later realised that the company they use are at least a £1 more, I presume they earn commission on this. The room itself was on the small size but looked okay. When I looked around however I saw that the bathroom was filthy. The toilet bowl was brown and there was hair around the edges of the floor.There was also an exposed pipe (rusty) running along the length of the bathroom and bedroom. I raised the issue of the bathroom with the largely uninterested staff and asked them to inform the cleaner to pay special attention to the bathroom. We returned after a day out to find that although the room had been cleaned, the bathroom was no different. The breakfast provided was inadequate and practically inedible, cheap produce and over cooked egg. Even the simple things seemed to be beyond the capabilities of this hotel, and following the advice given to us on arrival we phoned down for a taxi an hour before we had a dinner reservation. The receptionist forgot to do it and only remembered when we came down, she lied about forgetting to do it. The noise in the hotel from 7 in the morning is relentless and unbearable. Rather than it being a relaxing break its been a stressful and horrible few days. I would rather sleep in a tent in the middle of a muddy field than ever stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank branchy70
Dear reviewer,
thank you for taking the time to write your review.
May I apologise for not meeting your expectations.
I am sure that you have not experienced us at our very best and hope that you will afford us the opportunity of restoring your trust and confidence in our facilities during a future visit.
Please contact me personally and I will do what I can to ensure we do so.

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Clean, comfortable and convenient; and, when it comes to service, first class. It’s people who make a place and the people at Buckerell Lodge are superb: everyone with a smile on their face and ready to help. Reception set the tone with a warm welcome and speedy check-in; the bar staff impressed us with their friendly efficiency even when under pressure hosting a busy wedding party; housekeeping and the restaurant staff were equally charming and helpful. They made it an absolute pleasure to stay here. Exceptionally comfortable bed (two wonderful nights’ sleep) and pristine bathroom. Breakfast plentiful and good. Restaurant menu looked nice; it was fully booked so we went for bar meals instead. Being kind, perhaps the busy wedding party had distracted the chefs, because it’s not an experience we’d repeat! That is the only tiny quibble in a really lovely stay. Five star service at three star prices: this will always be our choice in the Exeter area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EMM09
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear EMM09,
thanks for a great review. I was particularly pleased with your comment "FIVE STAR SERVICE at three star prices"! I have only recently taken over as General Manager at the Buckerell Lodge and I am impressed that the passion and pride instilled in my team is being recognised as it deserves to be. Thank you once again for such a wonderful review. I hope we will be greeting you back very soon.
Kelso, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Some of the reveiws are a bit iffy, but this hotel is just right - especially the parking. Most hotels in Exeter have no or restricted parking, but the lodge has a large free park and it is just opposite the entrance - really convenient.
I had lunch when I arrived and it was served quickly and well presented. Check-in and Bar staff were friendly and guided me to a local centre (Darts Farm) for shopping. Bedroom was large and airy with a modern bathroom and good shower.
Carpets on the way to the rooms are not exactly new, but it didn't detract from the overall good impression. Nice garden area to one side with trees and ponds. We had a bit of an avalanche of people arrive for breakfast at the same time, but breakfasts were still cooked to order.
I would stay here again - really convenient for the town - the Cathedral is a must see.

Room Tip: I had a room to the rear - quiet and peacefull. The hotel is just off the main drag into Exeter, but...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Williamawilkie,
thank you so much for your wonderful review. I have passed your comments on to all of my people here and would like to thank you again on thier behalf.
As you pointed out, our car park is an asset to the Hotel and so are my team; they are the ones who made your stay so enjoyable and I do hope that we will get to see you again in the very near future.
Thanks once again for such a wonderful review.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

After seeing some reviews I had had some doubt about staying at this Hotel but I am pleased to say my doubts were quickly dispelled. The Hotel was clean, the staff friendly and the breakfast was as good as could be obtained anywhere.
An example of the helpful staff was Saturday morning 28th September when there was very heavy rain and a coach party was leaving. Members of staff ferried the passengers to their coach under an umbrella and although it did not affect me I wonder how many hotels would have taken this care

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Dear Fred609,
thank you so much for your amazing review. It is credit indeed to my team that they exceeded your expectations, and that you chose to visit us and see for yourself that we are indeed as great as you say.
Extra touches that exceed guest expectations are very important to me, and I smiled at your comments about the umberella treatment that you noticed.
Thank you once a gain for such a genuine and great review.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Had a fantastic experience on a two night stay, very welcoming and warm atmosphere. Excellent Friendly staff with a choice of good food, and nice comfortable room and very clean compared to to some hotels. Will be going back with friend next time hopefully!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lizford12
Dear Lizford12,
thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your room, our food and our hospitality. It is a great pat on the back for my team here to read such great comments. Thank you once again and we look forward tio seeing you back here (with your friend!) in the very near future.