“Very average...thats being generous”

Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I went here to meet some work colleagues and we then had dinner. The price was 3 courses off a set menu for £23.50 which seemed fair enough. I chose the salmon mouse as a starter and it was clearly brought in and had no flavour or taste...only ate it as I was starving and had not had lunch. Main was Duck breast and it was over cook and chewy and the pudding was good sticky toffee pudding but the sauce was like golden syrup and I asked for ice cream and got clotted cream. The bar had no one behind it so had to keep asking to get someone to get drinks. Wouldn't go back by choice and never complained as was with work people and didn't want to look fussy.

Room Tip: Couldn't put this under restaurant as did not exist and quite frankly that's not such a bad...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank DMVEAL

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Have stayed here about 6 -7 times over the past few years; and it is my first choice when I am working in Exeter.

Friendly staff, spotless rooms . but not biccies . so pack your own.

Bar snacks ok ... not brill .. would like more healthy options but enjoyed none the less

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Claire1204
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Claire,
thank you so much for your WONDERFUL REVIEW!
I'm so pleased you stay here whenever you're on business in the area.
I will pass on your GREAT COMMENTS to my team who will be THRILLED to hear they're exceeding your expectations.
Sorry about the biscuits! Next time you're in, tell reception I said you can have some!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was a perfect location while working at the RD&E Hospital 5 minutes walk up the road.

Inside, the rooms are dated, and just 3 hooks to hang a week of business clothes wasn't really what I'd have expected. I had to ask for extra hangars, but still only the 3 hooks in an alcove to hang everything, and too narrow to hang anything vertically.

Breakfast was OK, but at £13, expensive for what it was (compare with a Premier Inn all you can eat for £10 !).

The manager really should learn some discression. While he was right to ask the waitress "have you passed your food hygene exams" , it was probably not wise to ask her in my earshot just after she delivered my breakfast ;)

Jc

Room Tip: maybe a room in the new part of the hotel is more up to date
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank john c
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear John Corne,
thank you for your review and your observations. I'm pleased your stay was enjoyable and thank you for your comments and observations. We pride ourselves on our services and would not be able to review and improve what we do without guest feedback. I hope to see you back again very soon. In the mean time, although the restaurant manager is really happy that all of his team have passed thier annual food hygiene training, I'll tell him not to get too carried away in future!Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have stayed here almost five days . Don't know about this town , Miss Henna who works as front desk receptionist is quite helpful and patient with us . Appreciate her very much ,and will be back to stay in this cozy hotel, thanks everyone here.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HMedders_USA
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear H Medders,
thank you so much for your WONDERFUL REVIEW! I will pass on your regards and comments to my team, especially to Hanna on reception who obviously looked after you so well. I hope we will see you again in the very near future and thanks again for the GREAT REVIEW.
best wishes, John M.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Buckerell Lodge is a great place to stay on a business trip, as I was. I spent 3 nights a week for 6 weeks there. I work away a lot and spend a lot of time in hotels and as a professional woman working alone, I could not have been happier with the care and consideration that the staff put in to make me feel welcome.

Whilst I've stayed in higher grade hotels, the service has been inpersonal and with an atmosphere of 'doing the job' rather than pleasing the customer. This could not be further away from the ethos of the Buckerell Lodge. They have a charming mix of; excellent service, great food (and they accommodated my dietry requirements), and a genuinely friendly staff.

I will be working in Exeter in a months time and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Over the 6 weeks weeks I had 5 rooms and they are all about the same. If you want a little extra (e...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jules R
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear Jules R,
thank you so much for your WONDERFUL REVIEW! In these days when people are more inclined to look for negatives, it is great that we hear the positives. My team will be THRILLED to hear your review and we will all be very happy to welcome you back to THE BUCKERELL LODGE HOTEL when you RETURN NEXT MONTH. THANK YOU once again.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed 29th of October, 1 night, room only, £95. OK as it is a 4 star hotel.

Arrived and booked in, no issues, went to room.

Small, sweltering and stuffy. We had to sleep with the window open, road noise and helicopters in the night.

Stain on carpet next to bed. possibly curry.

Cobwebs in the bedroom.

Toilet had brown water stains in the bowl and mould in the sealant around the bath and on the seal for the shower screen. Looking around whilst in the bath, toothpaste under the sink bowl and the back of the toilet was dirty, I did move the toilet brush holder to have a look I admit.

Not too impressed to say the least, and as I have been a hotel manager in the past, with a few more rooms, I used to check the condition of rooms and had a housekeeper to maintain the cleanliness of the rooms, evidently not the case here.

Checked out the next day only to be talked at by a rude receptionist, sat behind her desk. The only hotel where I have stayed where the receptionist was seated. A little point.

I will not be staying again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Indigotony

Dear Indigo Tony,
thanks for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that on this occasion, we did not meet your expectations. As you have seen from other Great Reviews we do get it right. I hope that your experience will not deter you from visiting us again as all of your observations have been taken on board and will be addressed.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here on business for one night with 5 others. From the outside it looked like it was going to be an old-fashioned B&B but upon entering the room it was very contemporary and felt welcoming. Room was lovely and warm, bed huge for one and bathroom clean. There were a few bangs from the heavy doors but I didn't hear any when going to bed or in the morning.
Receptionists could be a bit more professional but had a pleasant stay and would use again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Roxxyx
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review!
I will pass all of your comments on to my staff who will be delighted to hear them.
We all look forward to seeing you again soon.
Thanks once again for the wonderful review.