“Pleasantly surprised by how good this hotel was”

Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We only wanted one night and thought this hotel might not be wonderful as it was inexpensive.
However we were pleasantly surprised . The staff were all welcoming and efficient and helped us to book a taxi later . Our bedroom was warm, clean with good furniture and decor - and oh joy ! A decent light to read by !All staff in reception and restaurant were friendly and polite. I don't understand why Rob-Lyn said it needed a facelift - unless this has now been effected ! Our ground floor room was absolutely fine . Minor grumbles - no heating in bathroom; also like most hotels there was no dim night light to help guests find their way into the bathroom in the middle of the night - putting a bright light on disturbs the other guest. The restaurant could
do with double glazing (even secondary) as it was chilly sitting by the window. The breakfast was excellent with good choice (including haddock and kippers !) - but it was not cheap. We did not eat in the evening but checked the menu and it too seemed a bit expensive - though I assume the bar menu would be less. Very spacious rooms and bar area. Good car parking and close to M5. Would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Exeter.

Room Tip: We were on ground floor - believe a new extension to the building.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shirleytemple2016
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Shirley,
thank you so much for your WONDERFUL REVIEW!
I'm so pleased that we EXCEEDED YOUR EXPECTATIONS and to hear that you would reccommend us to your family and friends. We constantly strive to look after all of our guests and it's great to see such a WONDERFUL REVIEW. Thanks once again!

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Very nice Hotel with good and friendly staff, good parking as I have a very large van and find a lot of places I stay very difficult to get parked. The room was very tidy and clean and had all the things I would need for a good night stay. The bar and restaurant was large and comfortable to relax at the end of the day, and a good selection of well cooked food was on the menu, breakfast was just as good to set you off for the day. So all in all another Top Hotel logged in my diary for the next time I'm down this way.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Shaun,
thanks for your EXCELLENT REVIEW!
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and will be returning to us when next in the area.
You're right; our free parking is a huge asset this close to the city!
Thanks once again for your EXCELLENT REVIEW.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This was booked at the last minute as a stop over on route to Cornwall and the accommodation was very good, clean, tidy. Staff we're very helpful and friendly. It was good value, easy parking, within easy reach of the city. My only complaint was that having arrived late-ish we didn't book breakfast on arrival. The morning of departure we decided to have breakfast and upon enquiring we're told the price had gone up from £9.50p to £14.95p per person! We left the hotel and ate in the city centre but in my opinion there was an hour of breakfast time left, there was plenty of room and looking at the buffet breakfast left plenty to eat. That decision by the hotel spoilt what would've been a first class review and I could not see why this decision was taken! Secondly £15 for a breakfast?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Alan,
thank you for your GREAT REVIEW.
I am so pleased that you found your stay enjoyable.
I will speak to my front of house team to ensure that the correct procedures and pricing is given for breakfasts and apologise that you were mis-informed.
I hope we will see you again the next time you are in DELIGHTFUL DEVON.
Thanks again for taking the time to write a GREAT REVIEW.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

We've just returned from a weekend break and we're pleased to say this hotel ticked most of the boxes for us. The location is great in that it's easily accessible from the motorway and within reach of Exeter city centre. The room was very clean and comfortable and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Thought the main restaurant menu was a bit limited and pricey for what was on offer but the bar menu more than served it's purpose - good value for money albeit a somewhat limited and basic choice. Breakfast, however, was very good indeed with plenty to choose from etc. The bar area itself was comfortable enough and so overall - a comfortable and relaxed stay. As for their 4 * Rating....generous I'd say. It's a good 3 Star/3 plus maybe but it is in need of a facelift if it's to continue to live up to this rating and charge the prices associated with 4 star accommodation. A good weekend all the same and worth another visit in future.

Room Tip: Worth paying a bit more for the Executive rooms............
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Rob and Lyn,
thank you for your GREAT REVIEW.
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you both here again in the very near future. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you both!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

I went here to meet some work colleagues and we then had dinner. The price was 3 courses off a set menu for £23.50 which seemed fair enough. I chose the salmon mouse as a starter and it was clearly brought in and had no flavour or taste...only ate it as I was starving and had not had lunch. Main was Duck breast and it was over cook and chewy and the pudding was good sticky toffee pudding but the sauce was like golden syrup and I asked for ice cream and got clotted cream. The bar had no one behind it so had to keep asking to get someone to get drinks. Wouldn't go back by choice and never complained as was with work people and didn't want to look fussy.

Room Tip: Couldn't put this under restaurant as did not exist and quite frankly that's not such a bad...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank DMVEAL
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Have stayed here about 6 -7 times over the past few years; and it is my first choice when I am working in Exeter.

Friendly staff, spotless rooms . but not biccies . so pack your own.

Bar snacks ok ... not brill .. would like more healthy options but enjoyed none the less

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Claire1204
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Claire,
thank you so much for your WONDERFUL REVIEW!
I'm so pleased you stay here whenever you're on business in the area.
I will pass on your GREAT COMMENTS to my team who will be THRILLED to hear they're exceeding your expectations.
Sorry about the biscuits! Next time you're in, tell reception I said you can have some!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was a perfect location while working at the RD&E Hospital 5 minutes walk up the road.

Inside, the rooms are dated, and just 3 hooks to hang a week of business clothes wasn't really what I'd have expected. I had to ask for extra hangars, but still only the 3 hooks in an alcove to hang everything, and too narrow to hang anything vertically.

Breakfast was OK, but at £13, expensive for what it was (compare with a Premier Inn all you can eat for £10 !).

The manager really should learn some discression. While he was right to ask the waitress "have you passed your food hygene exams" , it was probably not wise to ask her in my earshot just after she delivered my breakfast ;)

Jc

Room Tip: maybe a room in the new part of the hotel is more up to date
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank john c
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear John Corne,
thank you for your review and your observations. I'm pleased your stay was enjoyable and thank you for your comments and observations. We pride ourselves on our services and would not be able to review and improve what we do without guest feedback. I hope to see you back again very soon. In the mean time, although the restaurant manager is really happy that all of his team have passed thier annual food hygiene training, I'll tell him not to get too carried away in future!Thank you once again for your comments.