“Would not stay here again”

Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Room 17 was really hot even without heating. Room 16 had a very poor flushing toilet and the bathroom was dirty. Under the sink , the bath panel and out side of toilet pan were filthy. Paint coming off bottom of bathroom door. Glad we did not eat in the hotel qs rooms you see are this dirty what about the areas you dont see. The whole hotel looked shabby. Our executive room had a nice king size bed but only a double quilt with holes in so could only sleep in a double space if you wanted cover. Receptiinist helpful qnd polite but nothing her fault as managment should be responsible for cleanliness.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank cox27
John M, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Mr Cox,
thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I am saddened that we did not meet your expectations and wish you had brought these issues to our attention at the time in order that we could have put things right for you.
kind regards

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My family and I came all the way from Loch Lomond to stay at this hotel. We travelled 9 hours straight and phoned to see if our rooms could be ready slightly earlier than normal, as unfortunately, we had a funeral to attend that afternoon and wished to freshen up beforehand. The staff couldn't have been more helpful and got 2 of our rooms ready in time for us arriving. They were so pleasant and polite. We also booked the Garden Suite for the wake at the funeral. The suite was lovely and private and the food was very, very nice. Although some of the buffet we ordered wasn't served, the spread was good. The staff were brilliant and let us stay longer than booked in the private function room. The bar staff were a credit to the hotel, very polite, full of laughter and cheer. We would highly recommend this hotel to everyone and would like to thank the staff their service.

• Stayed: February 2014
John M, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Steff,
thank you so much for taking the time to post this WONDERFUL REVIEW!!!
I am so pleased that everyone looked after you, especially after your journey and because such occasions are often difficult to organise and to attend under sad circumstances.
I know all about that journey too, I used to run a small hotel in Tarbert in Argyll and often drove the 10 hours to see my partner down here.
Thanks once again for your review and give my regards to Luss and Loch Lomond.
kind regards

Reviewed 26 February 2014

We decided to book this place as the reviews here made it stand out, plus it was fairly close to where we needed to be. The Lodge itself is everso nice and as it was our honeymoon, although short, was perfect for us! Hannah the receptionist most certainly stood out from the rest, as she was just so nice and accommodating. The food in the restaurent was also extremely good! Infact the service all round was top class and extremely clean everywhere!

Room Tip: well we got upgraded to room no.42...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Richard,
thank you so much for taking the time to post such an EXCELLENT REVIEW!
I and my team are so pleased you both had aGREAT HONEYMOON, albeit a very short one!
Perhaps you will be able to treat yourselves to a break in one of the CHOICE hotels around the world a bit later on!?
I will congractulate Hannah on your behalf and may I thank you once again for writing such a MARVELOUS REVIEW.
Thanks

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We spent a couple of nights here. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly and the room very comfortable. Location was also ideal - close to both Exeter and Topsham. We cannot comment on the food as we eat away from the hotel -.there are some excellent places to eat in Topsham.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Bris2lred,
thank you so much for taking the time to write such a GREAT REVIEW!
I am so pleased you found The Clarion Buckerell Lodge comfortable and welcoming.
I will pass your GREAT COMMENTS on to the entire team and look forward to welcoming you back again in the very near future.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We booked this last minute and got a very good deal online, room was lovely, beds very comfy, bathroom also very nice (recently re-done perhaps?) Free wifi was a real bonus, and 12 noon check out too!

Room Tip: room 25 (we are a couple but chose this twin room for the one night as it was £20 cheaper than the d...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Hi Jo M!
Thanks so much for taking the time to write and EXCELLENT REVIEW!!!
I'm so pleased you enjoyee your stay and found it to be GREAT VALUE FOR MONEY.
I will pass on your remarks to all of the team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Thanks once again

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Just stayed for the night . The hotel was very well presented and welcoming . Our room was very nice with a good view of the gardens . We ate in the bar and the meals were extremely large and very filling . The buffet breakfast there was a wide variety of different meats cheese breads fruits and yougarts . We both had an English breakfast which was very filling . The only problem we had was that the toilet didn't flush very well and had to be flushed several times . But all in all a very nice stay indeed

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Bobshell 121,
thank you so much for your GREAT REVIEW!
We constsntly strive to improve all aspects of our hospitality and it is rewarding to receive good comments.
We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night as a stop off. We got a great last minute deal which included breakfast so we were delighted at the price. The room was clean, comfortable and linen and towels fresh and exactly what you would expect. The reception staff were friendly and welcoming. What they need to improve: the food! Breakfast was a bad experience, I'm afraid to say. We arrived for breakfast at around 8:30am (they serve until 9:30am) and they had run out of EGGS, mushrooms and tomatoes, not a great start if like my husband you had ordered a full English. I ordered porridge and my husband then ordered a bacon sandwich as a substitute. The porridge was lukewarm and swimming in water and my husbands bacon sandwich was cheap white bread (he ordered brown) with a piece of badly cooked bacon in between each slice of bread. By this stage we finished our coffee and ate a piece of fruit from the under stocked breakfast bar and left the porridge and bacon sandwich behind. Like I say great for one night, but I would go out for breakfast!

2  Thank Melissa B

Dear Melissa B,
thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
I'm pleased that your stay was comfortable.
I am pleased to say that the issues regarding breakfast have now been dealt with. We have completely upgraded out offer and trust that all future guests will have a pleasurable experience.
Thanks once again for your constructive comments.