“2 day stay”

Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge
Ranked #25 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here with my wife for a two day break. The hotel is in a good location only a short bus ride to the centre of Exeter ( taxi back was a fiver). Our room was a good size, clean and the bathroom had recently been renovated with a good shower et al. The staff were all excellent ,we both found the bed very comfortable although we had to leave the window open at night. Breakfast was very good, a good choice of cereals ,fruit, we had full English, plenty to eat and good quality.On the second evening we decided to have a bar meal, my wife had a round of sandwiches, I had chilli, I was not impressed ,have tasted better at half the price.On reflection I would stay there again but not eat there in the evening,.

Room Tip: Stayed in 26 at the back of the hotel,quiet !!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Seniors 2013,
thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope we will see you again very soon.
Please do try our evening meals; we have a new lounge menu going live soon and our restaurant menu changes every day.

There are newer reviews for Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge

Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel is a good mile from the city centre and easy to find with plenty of parking.
Public areas are good with a well stocked bar. Clean and tidy throughout. Food was resonable but not outstanding. Our room was spacious with a good television.
Beware rooms above the function area that may be noisy - the hotel does a lot of functions. Hotel could do with investing in some leisure facilities. Mattress not great!

Room Tip: avoid rooms above the function area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Darren,
thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope that we will see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The location of this hotel is great, it is about a 20min walk into the centre of Exeter and a 15min walk to the lovely quay area to eat. It is also well located for exploring south Devon by car and for us was well positioned for a visit to Families Day at the nearby Royal Marines Commando base.
The staff at the hotel were excellent and we had a reasonably sized room with a very comfy bed for our four night stay.
Unfortunately we had a room on the first floor over the hotel delivery / reception area, looking towards the carpark and road, this meant that we heard the road noise quite badly, there is no a/c so you need to leave a window open at night. It also meant that we had the reversing beepers of the delivery vehicles below our window at 7.30am two mornings followed by noisy deliveries.
After the first such delivery we were disappointed to go down to breakfast and be told that there were no sausages or brown bread available - what had been delivered?? We did not have breakfast at the hotel again.
We did not eat in the restaurant but did have a couple of snacks in the bar area which were very good
Wifi is free but you must get a new access code every 24hours.
Although our room was fine (other than location) I would not rate it as four star, there was no fridge or minibar, no a/c, the extractor fan in the bathroom did not appear to work, the bath was chipped in a couple of places and our toiletries did not get renewed - one tiny shampoo and one tiny body wash for two people for four nights is not generous!
I would probably go back to this hotel if visiting the Marines base again because of it's location but would definitely ask for a room at the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from the road and delivery area
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear 25Silver,
thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would happily return.
I'm sorry you didn't get sausages at breakfast, there is absolutely no reason why this should have happened.
We've now contacted all delivery/suppliers, and will not grant access before 8am.
I hope you do return to see us soon, at which time I'm sure your trust and confidence will be restored.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed on the travelzoo offer,
friendly helpful staff, good clean room very nice evening meal, breakfast was really good
good location close to city centre
excellent value for money will definately be back

1  Thank Wurzel133
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Wurzel,
thank you so much for taking the time to post such a WONDERFUL REVIEW!!!
i'm so pleased that everything was good about your stay and certainly hope you will be visiting us again in the very near future.
Thank you once a gain for the GREAT REVIEW.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The outside of this hotel is very nice lovely gardens very welcoming. The inside is also very attractive clean tidy. The staff on the whole are pleasant and helpful, which may lead you to wonder why was I disappointed. The reason for my disappointment was the food. I was attending a wedding at this hotel and was really looking forward to it. I meet up with some of the family on the Friday night before the wedding. Some of them had ordered bar meals the ones I saw looked ok but some of the family had to send their meals back for one reason or another one because there was hairs in the salad. On the day of the wedding the reception was afternoon tea which I was looking forward to. What a disappointment it consisted of shop bought scones, (dry and starchy) shop bought Bara Brith (being welsh I know what it should taste like) cream and jam and strawberries (they were wonderful) and tea. I know for sure that a couple to teenagers could have done better. The buffet in the evening was not good. Even the staff did not think much of the food as in the morning he told one of the family to have a big breakfast as they would not be getting much for the rest of the day and what there was was not good. The thing that bothered me was that I bet the cost of that reception was not cheap but that is what the happy coupled ended up with cheap nasty food

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Angie,
thank you for taking the time to post a review.
I'm sorry that you felt disappointed by the food.
All of the other wedding guests told my staff how delighted they were with everything.
You were right, we did, in fact, buy in the Bara Brith and the Welsh scones. We specifically asked our Welsh foodstuffs supplier, Vin Sullivan, to source products from a local Welsh baker; which they did. They were baked on the friday and delivered to us, direct from Wales on the Saturday morning of the wedding. We did this as the bride and groom wanted traditional Welsh baked items for the afternoon tea wedding breakfast.You can't get more traditional than a local Welsh baker!
I have spoken to the gentleman you mentioned; the guests that morning couldn't decide whether to have a full breakfast or just a continental. He advised them that the wedding breakfast that afternoon was a special Welsh afternoon tea. The couple themselves, then decided to "have a full breakfast in case they were hungry later on".

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had one night stay with dinner bed and breakfast.huge bed very comfy and room lovely and clean.bottle of wine on arrival was included staff were very friendly and helpful especially young lady and gent serving in restaurant ,who couldnt of been more helpful.
would definately stay again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Mr/Mrs Cuthbertson,
thank you so much for your MARVELOUS REVIEW!
I'm very pkleased that you enjoyed your brief stay and hope that we will see you again in the very near future; perhaps for a little longer next time?
Kind regards

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just stayed one night on a dinner, bed & breakfast package which usually includes a set dinner menu. Imagine our delight when we were told we could select anything off the a la carte menu. Food was excellent, service great, everything very enjoyable.
We were booked into Room 13 on the ground floor. On entering the room we remarked how dark is was despite it being a very sunny afternoon. Very quiet and enjoyable except for creaking floorboards of the room directly above and terrible pillows.
Location is good, easy to find. Gardens excellent, we sat outside for the first time this year and it was very pleasant.
Breakfast was good even though the toast was served burnt!
I suppose the pillows spoilt what would have been an perfect stay

Room Tip: I suppose a room on the upper floor won't have the creaking floorboard problem that we did.

Dear Brian,
thanks so much for your GREAT REVIEW!
You're right, the creaky floorboards are difficult to address but we are having our public areas refurbished in the autumn and will look at them then.(WE'll also have some new pillows!)
Thanks once again for taking the time to post such a WONDERFUL REVIEW.
I hope to see you back very soon.