“A great Place to Stay”

Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Frome, United Kingdom
“A great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We visited this hotel on a Travel Zoo one night deal dinner bed and breakfast. We stayed on a very hot day in June. The World Cup was on TV and we enjoyed drinks in the lovely garden and later watching football in the Garden Bar. Our room was situated over the entrance to the hotel and it was noisy when the dustmen arrived early in the morning. However the bed was comfortable and we had a good sized bathroom with a power shower. The dinner was great we enjoyed starters, a very good fillet steak each and excellent desserts. Breakfast was also very good and all the staff who served us were well trained and very attentive. We will recommend this hotel to our friends.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the rear of the hotel it will be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
dear Bluenose!
Thanks you for writing such a great review!
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and will be recommending us to your family and friends!
I hope we see you again in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

What a disappointment. I thought I'd treat myself as a change from the Travelodge (I was away on business). Come back Travelodge - all is forgiven!

Dirty room, far too hot (although bed was clean), very dark; shabby, dirty bathroom with black mould and broken sealant round the shower tray and doors. Woken at 6.20 in the morning by crashing glass as re-cycling lorry arrived - followed by two further crashes and then the 'other' recycling lorry! Actually, was quite scary and I didn't wish to get up that early.

Wardrobe area! What a joke, 3 hooks screwed to the wall and 2 wooden hangers. Just one problem - you couldn't put a hanger on the two outer hooks because they were too near the end of the 'wardrobe area'. Nowhere to place a suitcase except on the floor or the bed. The usual 'single rooms don't matter' syndrome, I suspect

Food was awful - overcooked fish and raw vegetables! Cucumber 'salsa' was tiny cubes of cucumber and tomato, crayfish tails so small they must have been babies! Cutlery was so dirty that the fork stuck to the tablecloth! Had to send the next one back as well! No excuse - the restaurant was not busy at all.

Just as I thought it couldn't get worse - ordered a glass of red wine which was a short measure "because it was the end of the bottle"

I was there because I was attending a course on the premises the next day. I'll stay in the Travelodge next time - at least the rooms are clean and a decent size.

A very disappointing stay and not up to 2 star standard, never mind 4 star. I suggest management contact Alex Polizzi for some advice!

Room Tip: Whatever you do don't have room 44 (which is a single room - especially on Monday/Tuesday recycl...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Penelope D
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Penelope,
I am very sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Clearly we did not meet your expectations which I apologise for. I cannot understand what was wrong as most of the other reviwers have been very satisfied.
I do hope your experience will not stop you form returning. I am sure that if you afford us an opportunity to put things right; we will restore your trust and confidence in our services.

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We Found this Hotel to be very good for working in the area. It was very clean and the food was good. It would be an ideal stopover for any familys traveling down to Cornwall.We will stay in this Hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Hello John W,
thank you for taking the time to post your review.
It is always great to get positive feedback which I can pass on to the team.
Look forward to seeing you bachj here in the very near future.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here with my wife for a two day break. The hotel is in a good location only a short bus ride to the centre of Exeter ( taxi back was a fiver). Our room was a good size, clean and the bathroom had recently been renovated with a good shower et al. The staff were all excellent ,we both found the bed very comfortable although we had to leave the window open at night. Breakfast was very good, a good choice of cereals ,fruit, we had full English, plenty to eat and good quality.On the second evening we decided to have a bar meal, my wife had a round of sandwiches, I had chilli, I was not impressed ,have tasted better at half the price.On reflection I would stay there again but not eat there in the evening,.

Room Tip: Stayed in 26 at the back of the hotel,quiet !!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Seniors 2013,
thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope we will see you again very soon.
Please do try our evening meals; we have a new lounge menu going live soon and our restaurant menu changes every day.
Cornwall
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The hotel is a good mile from the city centre and easy to find with plenty of parking.
Public areas are good with a well stocked bar. Clean and tidy throughout. Food was resonable but not outstanding. Our room was spacious with a good television.
Beware rooms above the function area that may be noisy - the hotel does a lot of functions. Hotel could do with investing in some leisure facilities. Mattress not great!

Room Tip: avoid rooms above the function area.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Darren,
thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I'm very pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope that we will see you again in the very near future.
Essex, England
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The location of this hotel is great, it is about a 20min walk into the centre of Exeter and a 15min walk to the lovely quay area to eat. It is also well located for exploring south Devon by car and for us was well positioned for a visit to Families Day at the nearby Royal Marines Commando base.
The staff at the hotel were excellent and we had a reasonably sized room with a very comfy bed for our four night stay.
Unfortunately we had a room on the first floor over the hotel delivery / reception area, looking towards the carpark and road, this meant that we heard the road noise quite badly, there is no a/c so you need to leave a window open at night. It also meant that we had the reversing beepers of the delivery vehicles below our window at 7.30am two mornings followed by noisy deliveries.
After the first such delivery we were disappointed to go down to breakfast and be told that there were no sausages or brown bread available - what had been delivered?? We did not have breakfast at the hotel again.
We did not eat in the restaurant but did have a couple of snacks in the bar area which were very good
Wifi is free but you must get a new access code every 24hours.
Although our room was fine (other than location) I would not rate it as four star, there was no fridge or minibar, no a/c, the extractor fan in the bathroom did not appear to work, the bath was chipped in a couple of places and our toiletries did not get renewed - one tiny shampoo and one tiny body wash for two people for four nights is not generous!
I would probably go back to this hotel if visiting the Marines base again because of it's location but would definitely ask for a room at the back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back away from the road and delivery area
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear 25Silver,
thank you for taking the time to write a review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would happily return.
I'm sorry you didn't get sausages at breakfast, there is absolutely no reason why this should have happened.
We've now contacted all delivery/suppliers, and will not grant access before 8am.
I hope you do return to see us soon, at which time I'm sure your trust and confidence will be restored.
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed on the travelzoo offer,
friendly helpful staff, good clean room very nice evening meal, breakfast was really good
good location close to city centre
excellent value for money will definately be back

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wurzel133
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Wurzel,
thank you so much for taking the time to post such a WONDERFUL REVIEW!!!
i'm so pleased that everything was good about your stay and certainly hope you will be visiting us again in the very near future.
Thank you once a gain for the GREAT REVIEW.