“GREAT BASE” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Torquay, United Kingdom
“GREAT BASE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

Enjoyed a 2 night break here that we used as a cycling base and exploration of Exeter. Nice spacious and clean room, good breakfast albeit the dinner was overpriced - the duck, pArticularly, was fatty and undercooked. But generally good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
3 Thank Neil D
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Neil,
thanks for the great review.
It is so nice to hear that our guests have had an enjoyable stay.
We hope to se you again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

The location is very good just a short distance from the city centre and the Quay. Nice spacious rooms and excellent food. Top class service at reasonable price. Decent breakfast spread and good conference facilities. What more can you want.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank udaypilani
Dear Mr& Mrs Pilani,
thank you so much for your wonderful review.
I will, of course, pass on your comments to the team and hope we will all see you again in the very near future.
kindest regards
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

I was part of an Insight Tour in 2013 staying here for 2 nights. My room had mildew on the wall in the single room under the air conditioner. The room stank of damp and mould. When I went and complained to the reception, they couldn't have cared less. My whole tour inc the tour director saw it. I took photos of it. They wouldn't move me even though I knew there was another empty room. Also service for both breakfasts over the 2 days appalling service, delayed our departure both days and very limited selections. They must be giving a Insight a really cheap rate to get the business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kerrie K
Hi Kerrie K,
I see your visit was a year ago,...
I'm sorry you were disappointed; however, I took over as GM last September and I can assure you that you would not find anything similar if you were to revisit us now.
We have had even more Insight tours this year and, as far as I am aware, all were very happy.

Travellers are raving about these Exeter hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I'm writing this on behalf of myself and my dad. We stayed in Exeter in July for a funeral. I personally had to stay at another hotel because the hotel was fully booked. As a family we booked one of the rooms for the wake. The bar staff and facilities were faultless. My dad tells me that the rooms were also great. We were all pleased about this aspect of the hotel.

However, we booked a table for dinner, as did other members of our family. The food was excellent and was served quickly. The waitresses were nice when they brought our food over. However, we were mainly served by the manager of the restaurant. This is where it started to fall apart. He was very rude and behaved like we were putting him out when we ordered something or asked for anything. You would expect more from a person who claims to be in charge of a restaurant. He completely let his team down. It was such a shame because the rest of the staff were so lovely and made what is usually a stressful and upsetting event into something relaxed and pleasant.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Jennifer W
John M, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Buckerell Lodge, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Jennifer,
thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I am so pleased that everything was to your dad's liking and will pass on your comments to the team.
Where the restaurant manager is concerned; I offer my apologies for his behaviour and assure you that this matter will be dealt with accordingly.
I hope the attitude of one member of my team will not deter you from visiting us again when next in the area.
kind regards
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here several times and the rib eye steak was so good I had it nearly every night, superb. Hotel was good, parking could be a little temperamental and tight depending on what functions were on, but made very welcome, felt very homely whilst away on business which was nice. Good location for centre of town and surrounding areas.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
      Rooms
1 Thank Cooperman19
Dear 'Cooperman',
thanks for your great review.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay, and the rib-eye steak!
Hopefully we'll be welcoming you back soon!
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The room was pretty good and afforded a decent night's sleep. The layout was much like that of a Premier Inn (I don't mean that derogatively) with an open wardrobe, desk with chair, separate lounge chair and small table - basically, all a business traveller needs for a night or two. Free WiFi.

The bathroom was plain but nicely decorated, though the shower was very low power (had to huddle down the end, in order to get wet) and so not particularly relaxing. On the positive side, the bathroom fan was quiet (i.e. didn't keep you awake).

Breakfast was very disappointing, I didn't try the fry-up, but the porridge was a massive let-down (almost the consistancy of water and very bland with no sign of the promised honey - even jam couldn't liven it up). Also had dinner from the bar menu which was ok, but nothing special.

Despite the above, I would stay here again; however, purely for business and only at the corporate rate. I'd probably look elsewhere first though.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Rousers
Dear Rousers,
thanks for taking the time to write a review.
I'm pleased that you had a good nights sleep and the room was to your liking.
I will take your comments on board regarding the porridge and ensure it is better next time.
regards
Brighton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The room was clean, tidy and comfortable. The bathroom was very nicely put together. The curtains were good and thick and didn't let any light in. So I had a good nights sleep.

The room I stayed in had 3 single beds. 2 tea cups. 8 milk cartons. And 1 packet of 3 biscuits. All of which seemed a bit of an odd number combination.

Breakfast was table served, rather than a buffet. The service was a bit slow but it tasted fine to me.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
Dear Jane,
thanks for your review.
I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and had a good nights sleep.
Thanks once again and hope to see you back soon.