“Friendly staff and great food, our delegates were a bit squashed though”
Review of Gipsy Hill Hotel

Gipsy Hill Hotel
Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here on business as my organisation were hosting an event there the following day. I found all the staff very friendly and welcoming and I was very impressed by their attitude.

My room was quite hot when I arrived...ok yes it was February but the air outside was quite mild and I found the room had just radiators to control the heat, which were a little challenging to get at the right temperature. The bedroom and bathroom was of a good size and there was free Internet, which is always welcome when away on business. Parking was also free to guests and the hotel is just minutes from the M5 and a short walk from Pinhoe railway station, so location is excellent.

The food I had in the evening on my arrival was delicious...garlic mushrooms on toast, which were very tasty, followed by the Fish Dish of the Day, a mixture of salmon, sea fish and mussels with vegetables in a creamy sauce topped with a pastry slice...absolutely yummy and for a very reasonable price. The breakfast in the morning was also good, with staff taking my hot food order promptly and efficiently after being seated and offered the cold buffet of cereals and fruit. Staff were very friendly and, given I was eating by myself, it was nice to engage in some chat whilst waiting for the hot food.

Our event in the Cedars Suite was well serviced by the staff, however for a room of 40 delegates it was a little too small, with 10 people around each table, resulting in delegates having to turn their backs to see the presentations with the tables (there to rest and write on) behind them. The hot and cold buffet was lovely and plentiful, as was the scones, jam and clotted cream, although the water provision was inadequate with just a few jugs of chilled water and cordial on a separate table to serve 40 delegates. The staff, in all fairness, replenished the water on request, but I don't think the room was really big enough to cater for 40 delegates, and the water should have been available on each table. It was also a bit of a pain for delegates to return their cups to the back of the room as the hotel didn't have many spare ones to replenish them at breaks.

Having said that, I left the hotel with a very positive impression, and would be happy to stay again, but perhaps with a more reasonable estimate of capacity if using the same room again for future events. Full marks to the staff though...they have a terrific group of people there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Davidjellis
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear David
Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay and benefited from the free wifi. I'm glad that the meal you had was delicious. I have spoken to the conference team about your comments to improve in this area. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We had mixed feelings about our evening here. The staff were excellent friendly and helpful. The food was a mixture of good and poor my starter and main course were good and nicely presented but the strawberry cheesecake was tasteless and I think the strawberry used for decoration had been previously frozen which did not help.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Barbara L

Dear Barbara
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that the cheesecake wasn't to your liking but I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of the meal and service by the staff.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband booked us a romantic valentines night away and living only 20 miles away, I'm sad to say I didn't know this place existed! Fantastic room, well decorated and good amenities. Best food I have had in a long time. Staff were wonderful and nothing was too much trouble.
Thank you for such a lovely night away from normality!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Rachelfudge
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed you night away for Valentines. Now you have found us we look forward to seeing you again for future visits.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I recently had a very interesting stay at the Gipsy Hill hotel, Exeter.
Sadly, it does need some TLC and then it will be amazing.
I did stay during a wedding and the guests were fine with my 5 year old son walking around with his pet dinosaur.
So, the good points; the food is very good. I had the fish pie which was almost as good as any home made one! It was a very good portion with nicely cooked vegetables. I was left pretty full and I can eat. The breakfast was great, lovely bacon and black pudding!! There was the usual breakfast buffet. But the cooked breakfast was very good.
The staff where helpful and good natured even during a busy wedding weekend!
The hotel is about 5 minutes from the M5, and close to the Exeter airport, so very quick to the motorway.
OK, the bad points. I had room 18 which to be honest, was freezing. It is a good size room and has 2 large windows. One is double glazed, the other is not. Also the single radiator was doing its best. But I had to watch the rugby in bed. Both my son and I slept very well!!
The shower as well was not good at all. To point I waited till I got back to Bradford!!!
The décor needs serious work. The interior needs a really good tidy up and again a delicate modernisation. The entrance hall is nice and the bathroom on the left has been refurbished to a high standard. But the entrance doors are tired and old.
I would stay here again and to be honest I see a real project to any one with money to invest. This place has serious potential as it has a good location and if done properly could be a lovely old country house.
Yes, it has issues, but care and attention can solve them. The food and the service made up for the décor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gareth W

Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff made it even more enjoyable. We pride ourselves on our menus and producing high quality food. Thank you for you comments regarding room 18 and I will be discussing these with the maintenance department to see how we can improve the heating in the room. If you had mentioned the heating problem in your room we would have to brought a portable radiator to your room or moved you to another room as our guests satisfaction is most important to us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Last Sunday after choir practice at the church, a large group of us enjoyed the most delicious Sunday lunch at the Gipsy Hill Hotel. Upon entering we were immediately greeted with a smile by the wonderful Sue and Sandra. We proceeded to tuck in to some tasty new dishes - prawns, melon with lemon sorbet and fruit compote or chicken liver pate (more toast with it, please!) for starters followed by roast chicken and sea bass for the main course, to name but a few. Having never had the latter it was an eye-opening introductory experience of something very new to me and it was easily well worth trying something different.

Toward the end of the meal we were thanked by John (Function Manager) for our custom - clearly a gentleman who was incredibly passionate about the level of customer service and invited feedback from a number of us about the new menus: pleased to say all was positive!

A near-perfect afternoon out in idyllic country surroundings. We will be returning.

Kris Emmett
Director of Music
St Michael's Church, Pinhoe

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KrisEmmett999
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you for your review. We have recently just launched our Sunday Lunch Menu and am very happy that you enjoyed the food and the service you received. John is a new member of the team and is a valuable asset to the hotel. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 8 February 2014

Stayed here mon-fri for 2 weeks in feb 2014.
Although the decor was very much dated and the rooms in the outside bungalow were not to standard, the staff were very friendly and went beyond to ensure you were as comfortable as possible. On occasion the vegetables that came with the food seemed a little undercooked (microwaved) but the food in general was ok. Free wifi which is something some other hotels don't offer.

Quite run down, but again friendly and helpful staff, worth it just for the experience.

Room Tip: Dont go on the bungalow!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and benefited from the free wifi. Our staff are always willing to help and if you had mentioned your issues with your room we would have moved you intermediately.

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I returned today after spending 2 nights at the Gipsy Hill Hotel. I was in the area working and had breakfast and dinner each day. I found the hotel staff to be very friendly and welcoming. Nothing was too much trouble. I was happy in my single room and everything was at hand that I needed. The food was excellent and the bar was a nice place to spend time. Free wifi throughout the hotel was great. Good location, comfortable, clean with lovely staff in all departments. Thanks.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JacquelineThompson15
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Thank you very much for your review. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the Gipsy Hill Hotel and found the staff accommodating and friendly. We have launched a new menu and happy to hear you enjoyed it. We look forward to welcoming you back here for your next visit in the area.
Claire Bennett