“Excellent family run hotel.”
Review of Gipsy Hill Hotel

Gipsy Hill Hotel
Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
“Excellent family run hotel.”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We had a 2 night stay at this lovely family run hotel. Nothing was too much trouble with a large spotless room and excellent breakfast. We had one meal in the evening which was very, very good. A quiet setting and very relaxed atmosphere.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jackiekc8
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Jackie
Thank you for such a great review. I'm really glad you enjoyed the hotel and the food and left feeling relaxed. I look forward to seeing you next time you come to stay.
Claire Bennett, Reception Manager, Gipsy Hill Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Chudleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We visited the gipsy hill for our annual lunch with 35 people in total. It's not often a group will eat somewhere and everybody enjoys the food, we did today. There were five choices for each course and all were very good, the vegetables were plentiful and fresh and the puddings were delightful.

Access for disabled members of our party was very good as was the parking. Ease of access around the hotel and dining room was also very good. Outside was lovely too with a lawned garden area

I would recommend dining at this hotel based on the food,service and very friendly and accommodating staff.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Caroline S
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Caroline
Thank you for such a wonderful review. It was great to have such a lovely group of people in and especially with the sun shining. I'm glad that everyone enjoyed the food we offer here as part of our Sunday Lunches which are open to everyone, so please come back again.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I recently spent a weekend at this hotel as part of a group of 10 people. The hotel was in a good setting with lovely views, and the room was clean and comfortable, as were the other areas of the hotel. Despite the cold miserable weather the hotel was warm. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming, and anxious to make sure we had everything we needed. The food was delicious, but you need a good appetite to stay here as the portions are definitely on the generous side! I would certainly visit again and would recommend to friends.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jill A
Dear Jill
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm glad that you had such a wonderful time during your visit to Exeter and found the hotel friendly and welcoming. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the food. I hope you will come back and stay the next time you are in the Exeter area.
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Staff members very friendly and accommodating and I thought the food was good. However, room was cold and the bed a little uncomfortable. I did raise this and was offered a heater but radiators needed bleeding. I would stay there again but hopefully in a different room.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Danielle W
Dear Danielle
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you had some issues with the heating in your room. I have spoken to the maintenance team about bleeding the radiators so it won't happen again. I look forward to seeing you next time you visit the hotel.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I call in here very occasionally for an after-work drink and it is superb. Right next to the new Redhayes cycle bridge over the M5, about 3 miles from the city centre. It's a hotel, so you have your pint in seclusion, admiring the extensive views over the east Devon countryside, stretching away into the distance. The staff are very polite and welcoming. A brilliant place!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Francis H
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Francis.
Thank you for your review. It's always great to get people enjoying the hotel that live in the area. I look forward to seeing you next time you pop in after work.
Lowestoft, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here on business as my organisation were hosting an event there the following day. I found all the staff very friendly and welcoming and I was very impressed by their attitude.

My room was quite hot when I arrived...ok yes it was February but the air outside was quite mild and I found the room had just radiators to control the heat, which were a little challenging to get at the right temperature. The bedroom and bathroom was of a good size and there was free Internet, which is always welcome when away on business. Parking was also free to guests and the hotel is just minutes from the M5 and a short walk from Pinhoe railway station, so location is excellent.

The food I had in the evening on my arrival was delicious...garlic mushrooms on toast, which were very tasty, followed by the Fish Dish of the Day, a mixture of salmon, sea fish and mussels with vegetables in a creamy sauce topped with a pastry slice...absolutely yummy and for a very reasonable price. The breakfast in the morning was also good, with staff taking my hot food order promptly and efficiently after being seated and offered the cold buffet of cereals and fruit. Staff were very friendly and, given I was eating by myself, it was nice to engage in some chat whilst waiting for the hot food.

Our event in the Cedars Suite was well serviced by the staff, however for a room of 40 delegates it was a little too small, with 10 people around each table, resulting in delegates having to turn their backs to see the presentations with the tables (there to rest and write on) behind them. The hot and cold buffet was lovely and plentiful, as was the scones, jam and clotted cream, although the water provision was inadequate with just a few jugs of chilled water and cordial on a separate table to serve 40 delegates. The staff, in all fairness, replenished the water on request, but I don't think the room was really big enough to cater for 40 delegates, and the water should have been available on each table. It was also a bit of a pain for delegates to return their cups to the back of the room as the hotel didn't have many spare ones to replenish them at breaks.

Having said that, I left the hotel with a very positive impression, and would be happy to stay again, but perhaps with a more reasonable estimate of capacity if using the same room again for future events. Full marks to the staff though...they have a terrific group of people there.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Davidjellis
Dear David
Thank you for your review. It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay and benefited from the free wifi. I'm glad that the meal you had was delicious. I have spoken to the conference team about your comments to improve in this area. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We had mixed feelings about our evening here. The staff were excellent friendly and helpful. The food was a mixture of good and poor my starter and main course were good and nicely presented but the strawberry cheesecake was tasteless and I think the strawberry used for decoration had been previously frozen which did not help.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Barbara L
Dear Barbara
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear that the cheesecake wasn't to your liking but I am glad that you enjoyed the rest of the meal and service by the staff.