Gipsy Hill Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
  • Restaurant
All reviewscoach housethe main hotelcountry housebuffet styleblack puddingbit datedlarge roombooked this hotelfriendly hotelwedding receptionexeter airportnight staycomfy bedplenty of parkingpark and ridefamily roomgypsy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We have just returned from our 5th visit to the Gipsy Hill Hotel. This hotel is really a little gem. Not a big corporate affair, where a loyalty number gets you a bottle of mineral water on the bedside table. Gipsy Hill offers so much more, a warm genuine smile when you arrive and staff who really want you to enjoy your stay.

We have stayed in different rooms on each of our visits and enjoyed the different decoration and styles of all of them. All have been clean with very comfortable beds with good quality bedding. As others have said you can hear some road noise but we quickly get used to it and it's not too intrusive at night.

Quality of food in the restaurant is excellent, a good selection at breakfast. The dinner menu has something for everyone, and is very good value. On a personal note I would like to see them put the lasagne back on the menu!

The bar is very welcoming especially when Sue is working. She really is an asset to Gipsy Hill.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Pinkbelle
Thank you for such a lovely review. It's great getting people coming back time and time again. We are working on a new menu so will mention to chef about the lasagna to see if we can put it back on.
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel,

Reviewed 5 April 2014

The hotel had lovely grounds, and our bedroom had windows in two walls which gave us a panoramic view of the area as it was on the first floor. The bed was very comfortable, room warm and the bathroom was nice although the shower was not so good as the water kept going from hot to cold. Before our arrival we had trouble finding the location as the local council has removed a road and it was not signposted to find the hotel. The breakfast was nice and the staff friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Lyn0607
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you had problems finding the hotel. We are currently in talks with the local council to see if we can get brown tourists signs which will make it easier to find us in the future. I'm glad that once you got here you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed here on business for one night, in a ground floor room in the coach house which is just across the car park from the main hotel building.

The room was clean and warm, and aside from a few little niggles (bedside lamps didn't match - Alex Polizzi would have a fit!), I had a comfortable night's sleep. The bathroom was in need of a refit, with an apricot-coloured suite that dated back to the 1980s, the bath needed re-grouting and there was a cracked tile on the floor. Good water pressure from the shower, though.

The hotel is right next to the M5, and I found I could hear it even with the windows closed. However, as the motorway got less busy overnight, it didn't disturb me.

I had dinner in the bar area in the evening, and again, the decor wouldn't be out of place in the 1980s, with the traditional old red patterned carpet that was de regeur in hotels of the time. But the food was excellent - the burger was huge and outstanding, the chips piping hot, not to mention the fruit pie with clotted cream for dessert - and I went back to my room full up!

The thing that really makes this hotel is the staff. Every single person I spoke to, from the receptionist, the bar and dining staff, to the maintenance staff, were all friendly and welcoming. They also weren't corporate robots, with their own personalities showing through, which set this hotel apart from the chains where everyone is forced to be 'the face of the company.' I needed to stay for a few hours after I checked out as I was meeting a couple of people, and the staff continued to be helpful and made sure I was fed and watered as I sat and worked in the bar area.

The hotel has free wifi, which in my opinion these days is a must.

So if some money was ploughed into this hotel to bring the decor up to modern standards, they would have something amazing and could probably put the room prices up. The attitude of all the staff is perfectly good and I would stay again if I return to Exeter.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Grebble
Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and benefited from the free wifi we offer. Being a family run hotel we aim to offer an exceptional and friendly customer service experience and I'm glad this came across. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed for 2 nights and couldn't fault the service. Staff very friendly and couldn't fault the food. Hotel very tired and reminded me of staying in a B & B in the 1950's. Nice size room but not impressed with bathroom don't think it had seen bleach on the tiles for ages, black mould everywhere and doors needed a good wipe down, also no blind at window although frosted. Despite that would stay there again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear Jane
Thank you for your review. It's good to hear that the staff, service and food was very good and that you enjoyed your time with us.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

By the time we arrived it was dark and we could not see all the benefits on the hotel. The welcome was friendly, and the room I stayed in perfectly comfortable, although the furnishings were a little tired and the window sill could do with a wipe down. Breakfast was good and the hot meal cooked to order. I would come here again if I was on business again and perhaps when I had a bit more time. We chose this hotel as it was close to the M5 and a quick exit out of Exeter. We found it without too many problems and with the help of SatNav.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Dylan65
Thank you for the review. We try and make all our guests feel welcome and am glad that came across. Next time you are in the area try to make time to enjoy our wonderful south facing garden, especially with summer round the corner.