“O dear.”

Ranked #16 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Crewe, United Kingdom
“O dear.”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

As a trip advisor reviewer it’s a pleasure to go back and re-visit a previous location. Then you can see if anything you write is actually taken seriously. The Gipsy hotel didn’t disappoint.

On a sunny weekend my son and I found ourselves in room 18 of the Gipsy Hill Hotel again.
Again service was pretty good. The room looked lovely and clean and tidy.
On my previous review I had stated the room was a tad cold. But there was a small heater in the corner, so far so good?
Unfortunately, my son was feeling seriously under the weather due to pretty bad hay-fever. He is 6 and was happy being in the hotel room and playing with his new Lego!!
This is where things got fun. He was sick, on the duvet.
The embarrassment and stress of;
1) The only source of accommodation we had was the hotel.
2) The embarrassment of having to phone reception and ask for a new duvet.

While I am not bothered by the sick I did my best to clean up the mess.
He was sick again the next day during breakfast. This time he did get it into a tea cup. The staff member didn’t seem too keen to help. But then not everyone likes dealing with vomit.
So, what is the issue?
For the pleasure of having a new duvet it cost me £20 for a cleaning bill.
I’m sure some readers will think I am pathetic or penny pinching. Maybe I am?
But I don’t expect a hotel to charge for a genuine accident. At the end of the day I had an ill child. I live away due to divorce and financial reasons, so this was a stress-full weekend already without incurring extra costs!!
If this was caused by my own actions then I would accept the cost. But the little guy was ill.
Would I stay here again? No.
Sorry, but every time I am in Devon I have my son.
I drive from Nottingham to Exeter every other weekend which itself costs money in fuel.
Arron is 6 and he will most probably be sick again, but not in the Gipsy Hill hotel, because it costs me money.

Room Tip: Only take healthy kids if you need to
3 Thank Gareth W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Holsworthy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my daughter for our annual weekend away, chosen for its location near to the centre of Exeter and on the strength of Tripadvisor reports. The hotel couldn't be faulted for price and the friendliness and helpfulness of its staff; the gardens too were lovely and the beds comfortable...however the hotel is sadly let down by its housekeeping standards - the chairs were dirty with fluff, the net curtains black around the bottom, one of the cups cracked and the bathroom had black mould around the tiles (something that is easily fixable) and there was a plastic biscuit wrapper on the carpet when we arrived, along with a lot of dirt around the edges of the room and under the beds. It didn't hinder the enjoyment of our stay as we weren't in the room very much but would suggest that someone does oversee the standard of room cleaning in future. With a little bit of attention to detail this could be a really super hotel for city breaks and with such lovely staff it wouldn't take much to make it top-notch.

Room Tip: I would suggest and upstairs room as we found on the ground floor there was a lot of noise transferr...
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

What a lovely hotel. The service is personal professional yet friendly. The room was beautiful clean and full of character. Breakfast was lovely quality, a well thought out selection and efficient. I would certainly choose to stay there again. Watching the bunny's on the lawn over breakfast through the panaromic window was a lovely unexpected treat.

Thousand Oaks
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here one night as we passed thru Exeter. Room was clean and comfy but the rooms are looking a little dated. Breakfast was excellent. Would recommend for the price for a quick one night stay near the Motorway. Well located near the M5.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is ideal for breaking up a long journey to the south west. It is down a quiet road and has a lovely garden which was perfect for sitting out on a lovely summers night. The staff were friendly, the rooms were good and well insulated for sound.
The breakfast was very nice and warm. We would thoroughly recommend it as a great value for money hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

For £69 my wife and I had a small room with large bathroom and all spotless. There was a large television and the usual beverage making facilities. The bar, lounge and dining areas all had a pleasant 'feel' to them and the restaurant provided good food at average prices.
The inclusive self service breakfast, was also good.
One negative is that the hotel is located immediately beside the blue pedestrian bridge over the M5 near the Honiton/Exeter junction. This meant that any time spent in the large, rather poorly maintained garden was blighted with noise. Fortunately, the hotel modern double glazing dealt with the problem inside.
We will return.

Room Tip: Our room in the 'bungalow', outside the main hotel, was very quiet even with the windows ope...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear BrianG
Thank you for your review. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay here at the hotel and that you had time to enjoy the gardens. Our gardener is working on sprucing up the gardens, so next time you come back you will see the difference.
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel
London
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

We spent one night in Exeter for an event. I found Gypsy Hill Hotel at a great price. The hotel is a little outside the city, maybe a 5-10 min drive, but it's got lovely grounds and is very peaceful. The hotel was clean, the beds were comfy, the water was hot and there was plenty of space What more could you ask for? Oh also the breakfast was great, the bacon was perfect the sausages were tasty and the black pudding was full of flavour yum!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear helen1381
Thank you for such a wonderful review. It's always great to hear guests have enjoyed there stay and the food we offer. We look forward to seeing you next time you come to Exeter.
Claire B, Front Office Manager at Gipsy Hill Hotel