As a trip advisor reviewer it’s a pleasure to go back and re-visit a previous location. Then you can see if anything you write is actually taken seriously. The Gipsy hotel didn’t disappoint.
On a sunny weekend my son and I found ourselves in room 18 of the Gipsy Hill Hotel again.
Again service was pretty good. The room looked lovely and clean and tidy.
On my previous review I had stated the room was a tad cold. But there was a small heater in the corner, so far so good?
Unfortunately, my son was feeling seriously under the weather due to pretty bad hay-fever. He is 6 and was happy being in the hotel room and playing with his new Lego!!
This is where things got fun. He was sick, on the duvet.
The embarrassment and stress of;
1) The only source of accommodation we had was the hotel.
2) The embarrassment of having to phone reception and ask for a new duvet.
While I am not bothered by the sick I did my best to clean up the mess.
He was sick again the next day during breakfast. This time he did get it into a tea cup. The staff member didn’t seem too keen to help. But then not everyone likes dealing with vomit.
So, what is the issue?
For the pleasure of having a new duvet it cost me £20 for a cleaning bill.
I’m sure some readers will think I am pathetic or penny pinching. Maybe I am?
But I don’t expect a hotel to charge for a genuine accident. At the end of the day I had an ill child. I live away due to divorce and financial reasons, so this was a stress-full weekend already without incurring extra costs!!
If this was caused by my own actions then I would accept the cost. But the little guy was ill.
Would I stay here again? No.
Sorry, but every time I am in Devon I have my son.
I drive from Nottingham to Exeter every other weekend which itself costs money in fuel.
Arron is 6 and he will most probably be sick again, but not in the Gipsy Hill hotel, because it costs me money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Exeter's best kept secret hotel The Gipsy Hill Hotel is surrounded by three acres of beautiful landscaped gardens and is a taste of the Devon countryside mere miles away from the vibrant & historic, Cathedral city of Exeter. You are guaranteed a warm welcome from our friendly and efficient staff right from the moment you arrive, till the moment we wish you a safe journey. With two free car parking spaces per room and free Wifi, The Gipsy Hill really is a home from home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Gipsy Hill Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Exeter Best Western
- Best Western Exeter
- Gipsy Hill Hotel Exeter, Devon