“A little gem with the most wonderful staff”
Review of St. Olaves Court

St. Olaves Court
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We recently organised a friend's birthday at the hotel which included a champagne reception and two or three course meal. The staff were efficient, friendly and eager to please and it is always a pleasure to deal with the hotel when organising any event. I have been using them for nearly six years now for conference dinners, university society balls and I have never had reason to complain. The food is usually of an excellent standard. The wine list is extensive and reasonably priced and staff are always knowledgable and happy to answer any questions relating to the food or the wine list. St Olaves is competing in a very crowded Exeter market and shines above many.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 June 2014

comfortable but dated bedroom furniture, Stair case taped together with electrical tape.good choice of breakfast but my fried egg was slimey others sent theirs back to the kitchen. Staff excellent. lovely garden but noise at night from a night club at back of hotel.

Room Tip: Dont have a room facing the back garden where the neighbouring night club can be heard
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Ignore the pool and gym rating, as they do not exist, but this should not deter the arrivals of tired couples to an as affordable piece of luxury and relaxation, rest in the lounge or garden and just soak it up. Eggs Benedict for breakfast hot and delicious.

Room Tip: No tip on rooms required this is my second stay, I leave this stay as I did my first, relaxed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here regularly when visiting one of our children at the University. We have not visited for a while as child has graduated. On our return, we had a very warm welcome, which was nice and had room 7. The bed was extremely comfortable, one of the best I have slept in for a while in the UK. Yes, the floorboards can squeak as it is an old house but the location is superb. (The first time we needed to stay in Exeter we stayed at the Abode. It is an old building, some of the walls are paper thin, and while it is in the cathedral close, it can be noisy. Also you have to park in a public car park, having negotiated driving into the close to drop off luggage. Slow going in the summer!) St Olaves is tucked away in the centre and you can park in the courtyard in front of the hotel which is a real plus compared to other hotels in Exeter. We arrived on a warm summer's evening so I had a G&T sitting out in the courtyard garden. Just what you need after a long drive. Good buffet for breakfast, with a wide choice of cooked to order options. As in the past the cooked breakfast was excellent. As another reviewer mentions, the coffee at breakfast needs to be stronger but overall for Exeter, with the ease of parking and the central location, St Olaves is excellent value. Also it is nice to stay somewhere where they remember you each time and I for one like a smaller hotel. I have always found the staff to be very helpful and given the other options for staying in Exeter, personally, I am more than happy to return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lovethecake
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We'd trundled into Exeter without either a booking or any previous plan so once into the city, we saw the brown heritage accommodation sign and drove straight in. A bright and helpful receptionist was happy to let us have a double room with ensuite and we accepted without even checking out the room. The rate included breakfast.
Like many older British hotels, the bathroom was incorporated into a larger room and was fine - until we wanted a shower...
We couldn't get any hot water and the receptionist came straight up, but we failed to resolve it, so she called a plumber. By this time it was about 5pm but the plumber arrived just as we'd sat down for dinner at 7pm, but he did sort it.
Service was friendly and efficient but the food, although nice enough, was a bit over-priced.
The bed was excellent and no external noise, though again, with old wooden floors, had there been noise from adjacent rooms, it would have been a different story.
There were tea making facilities (with instant coffee), plus an iron, ironing board and trouser press hidden in a dark wardrobe - with no light! No fridge.
Wi-fi was free and there was a TV set.
Breakfast was a help yourself cereal and fruit and the cooked to order 'West Country breakfast" was excellent.
The breakfast coffee was served in what I thought was a plunger but turned out to be very weak and I gather, from a machine, and rather let it down.
A pleasant enough stay but for the price, they could have supplied fresh coffee and there was no offer of any recompense for the inconvenience of not being able to shower.
The front line staff however and also a young lady who I assume was a cleaner, were just wonderful.
We'd stay again, as the location was excellent and as our priority is a quiet night and a decent sized bed, we could cope with any of the negatives.

Room Tip: We were facing the courtyard which was fine, but no idea what other rooms were like. Morning sun was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here last night for work as am deciding which hotel to use in Exeter for my regular work trips - I'm afraid it will not be this one.

Firstly however the good points - the location is excellent; you are right in the middle of town & would be able to access any central location in minutes. The bed & pillows were fantastic & I slept like a dream (also liked being able to open up the windows as much as I wanted & is a nice & quiet location). The shower was great - powerful & hot. The breakfast was really good - lovely fresh fruit salad & eggs royale made to order (although I asked for not too much hollandaise & when it came out I still couldn't see the egg/muffin for it).

The not so good points - if I had paid for this room personally I would not have been happy. As a 'superior double' almost every wall had paint chipping/coming off, there were white marks all over the dark carpet & the bath had an old, damaged wooden surround out of the 80s. There were hairs (head & other) on the bathroom floor & shower wall. The pump bottles of moisturiser/hand wash labels were falling off & looked to have been sitting there years. The lid of the kettle had snapped off & it had in general seen better days (it also had to be filled with the coffee cup due to the tiny baisin). Bar the first 20min I was in the room & the last 1/2 hour before bed there were no TV stations bar a couple (not even all) ITV ones. The BBC channels said 'missing/bad signal'. When I rung reception they just said that they did have BBC & had just got new aerials & I should try turning it off & on again (which didn't work). The fake/bubbly laminate wood in the bathroom is lethal - I almost went @rse over t1t twice in there - once in socks & once stepping out of the shower onto the bathmat.

Finally the service in the morning was dire & a brunette girl with glasses needs customer service training. When I walked down to breakfast she just looked at me so I asked if breakfast was on (as it was empty) to which she sarkily/incredulously replied "yeah". When she asked what drinks/breakfast I would like, it was said very sullenly & during the whole service (after others came) she had a very odd demeanour & not one for front of house. When I went to check out & was asked my room number I had to repeat it FOUR times as for some reason she couldn't understand an English-speaker stating 'ten'. I was presented my bill & asked if it was correct to which I said yes but that the company had paid - to which she just shrugged! So I said "bye, have a nice day" to try & counteract her standoffish behaviour - to which I was ignored! This girl really should not be in a customer facing role, I'm not sure if she was having a bad day but it was not a good start to mine.

So hit and miss... it is very rarely that I submit a bad review on TA but this hotel was definitely not up to standard for the price & room facilities - I will be staying at the ABode from now on when in Exeter.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dada1983
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Brilliant staff friendly, helpful and courteous . We were working in Exeter and were working odd hours but this was no problem for the staff they really looked after us. Perfect position for the heart of Exeter . Highly recommend .

Room Tip: Avoid room 16 noisy
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business