“A little gem of an hotel”
Review of St. Olaves Court

St. Olaves Court
Ranked #27 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 30 July 2009

Loved the old fashioned polite unobtrusive good service.

We were made really welcome by friendly reception staff. Our bags were carried to our room. Reception apologised that because it was graduation weekend there was a reduced menu and they would understand if we didn't want to dine at the hotel. They brought the menu to our room and it looked great so we stayed for dinner and were really glad. Maitre D was very knowledable and helpful - couldn't do enough for us.

Food was really delicious served in lovely dining room with excellent service.
We were very pleased we chose this hotel.

Reviewed 28 July 2009

Shying away from the faceless, multi roomed chain hotels in Exeter city centre, my partner and I opted to stay at the small, family owned St Olaves Hotel, nestling away in its own little sanctuary, only yards from the hustle and bustle of the city centre. Here we found a delightful little hotel, with a dozen or so rooms, tastefully decorated, immaculately clean, and more than adequate in size for my partner and me.
From the moment we arrived, the service was first class. Our bags were taken to our room, the receptionist was more than accommodating, by providing us a map of the area and pointing out local sights, restaurants and shopping malls.
We had our evening meal in the restaurant, which was clean and contemporary in its design, the waiters were polite, helpful and extremely pleasant. The food was excellent, well-presented, good quality and I hasten to add that we were not the only ones to offer praise; another couple on an adjacent table also complemented the waiter on the food. We had the Dinner, Bed and Breakfast package, which we found to be excellent value for money, we had booked for 3 nights, but enjoyed our stay so much, we extended for another night.
The hotel offers outstanding value for a small independent hotel. Food, service, cleanliness, location, ticks all the boxes. This hotel will never stand side by side with the multi national chain hotels; you won’t find acres of bedroom space, football pitch size beds, Jacuzzi’s, bellhops, valet parking. However, you will find, a warm welcome, helpful, pleasant staff, wonderful food, clean adequate bedrooms, in a cosy, relaxed little haven.
My partner and I intend to return next year and have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, based on our very enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 27 July 2009

Most impressed and we have seen plenty. Location very handy for city centre with own car park. Large well appointed room with well appointed en suite. Food first class cooking is seriously good book in for DB&B and it's good value . Helpful staff. Tip work out your route to the place in advance if coming by car and look out for the entrance tucked back off the road else the Exeter one way system is not grockle friendly.

1  Thank dianalta
Reviewed 19 July 2009

Its interesting that the first review I read just before my making own contribution mentions the 'grumpy lady' on reception! After a telephone conversation with her I decided not to confirm my reservation. Her manner was just horrible. There are far better located and valued hotels in Exeter.

2  Thank summerfunds
Reviewed 14 July 2009

I'm sorry to say this hotel was a total, absolute disappointment and completely misrepresented on their website. Having booked an en-suite deluxe room for a 3-day stay I left within an hour after complaining that the room allocated (you bumped into the bed as you opened the door) was far too small, a second room was offered which was larger but the intolerable smell of onions hit you as you opened the windows and they (two ladies) 'required' that I move again on the second day to another smaller room.
The decor was shabby, carpets needed cleaning (would be much better to replace them completely), bed linen style I don't think had been changed since 1980. Grumpy lady on reception who took exception to my comments on the standard of accommodation I expect. Location to city centre was fine. Way too expensive for the standards they keep.
Having read some of the other reviews of this hotel on Trip Advisor I can only assume we didn't stay at the same place.......?
Moved to Buckerell Lodge saved £100.00, great location, friendly staff, rooms were totally luxurious compared to St Olaves!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank marly73
Reviewed 7 July 2009

On first glance St Olaves is a great choice, the location is wonderful and the walled garden and outside of this fine old building lovely - shame you ever have to go inside really.

There was a wedding going on so to be fair I didn't see all the hotel but what I did see was enough to put me off. The beautiful exterior of this building was runied by a cheap B&Q finish from the furniture to the paintwork - obviously the loving creation of someone with zero design skills. They should take interior design students there to show them how to ruin a lovely period building!

My room was hot, smelt damp and had a leaking loo. The housekeeping left a huge amount to be desired although the staff were nice enough. Synthetic bedding that's seen better days and not an ironed sheet in sight. Breakfast was OK but nothing to write home about. There was also a very loud seabird convention outside my window all night (lovely view onto the back of some flats over an unkempt courtyard) though that can't be blamed on the hotel!

All in all a disappointing stay, I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't go again - apart from to sit in the lovely garden.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I went with my boyfriend and my parents and we booked through late rooms. This hotel is split into two buildings and is minutes from the high street so is a brilliant location. The car park is quite small but the little courtyard garden was brilliant as it was a sun trap. The rooms were a little hot but my parents room did have a fan. beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were very clean with lovely shampoo/moisturiser. We all had breakfast in the morning which was a choice of full english, 1 croissant, cereal. hot and cold drinks which was all very nice. Although the waiter kept huffing when we asked for something. The breakfast room wasnt even busy!!

We did look at the evening menu as there were such good reviews on trip advisor but it was very expensive £20.00 for beef with yorkshire puddings and £18. for a rack of lamb and with the choice that was available in town and on the quay side we had a much better value meal.

The only thing i would say against the hotel is that it is close to the town centre so you could hear the thumping of the club down the road but this may have been because we had to have the windows open. Also my parents were very rudely awoken by a man swearing at his partner because she was soo drunk she couldnt get up the stairs. Im sure this wouldnt have happened in the building we were in becuase the reception was in the hall and they would have spoken to them but with no reception in the other building there was noone to say anything. I think it went on for a bout 20 - 25 min at 5am. Not the best night sleep for them! Also as the buildings are listed there isnt much the owners can do with the place so you can hear people shutting doors etc.

Overall it was a very good stay - just shame that the drunken people didnt have any respect for their neighbours!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family