“Ideal location and very comfortable”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This hotel is a nice mix of the old and the new - with some old world charm in the bar/public room but some no-nonsense functional accommodation in the newer part of the building. The room was larger than we expected and the bathroom was excellent (perhaps recently refurbished, but really clean, light and practical). We ate in the restaurant in the evening. The food we got was not inspiring, although there was plenty of choice and the main criticism was the vegetables - but it was fine for what we wanted and turned out to be excellent value when we discovered that as hotel guests we got a 20% discount on the food. We had a very nice large table and were able to take dinner at our own pace. The staff were all friendly and helpful and we were allowed to extend our check out time by an hour at short notice. But the best thing about the hotel is its central location and the free car park. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jackie J
There are newer reviews for White Hart Hotel

Reviewed 26 January 2014

My daughter and I paid a quick visit at lunchtime for a meal as we only had 3 hours to spend in Exeter. We opted for the 2 meals for £10 offer, it was money well spent. My daughter had the 3 cheese and mushroom pie while I had the gammon steak, both meals arrived with a mountain of chips and garden peas and to my delight I also got an egg and a pineapple ring with mine. The food was of a good quality and I recommend a visit. The staff were friendly and the service was good. We will certainly be returning again later in the year. Many thanks.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jim c
Reviewed 24 January 2014

The White Hart is consistantly good. I stayed for a second time whilst on business in the area. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Breakfast was very good indeed. If i had to have one little moan it was that I was awakened at 6.30am by the refuse collection of the adjacent apartment complex. ( I was in room 301) This lasted about 15 minutes but my alarm was set for 6.45am anyway so it was not too inconvenient but I would have been very annoyed if I was planning a lie in!

I know it is nothing to do with the hotel but I did not think that collections that early were permitted. Perhaps this would lose them customers in the long run if it goes on every Wednesday morning!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cags1970
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I went here for a meal recently with a large group of people. When we arrived we were served at the bar and half way through serving us the barman said we couldn't have any soft drinks because the coke and lemonade was coming out flat. Instead of sorting this problem he went off to serve someone else leaving 8 of our group without a drink. We eventually were served and went to sit down for our meal. The first two courses were cold and overcooked. and rank the roast spuds looked as if they had been cooked the day before and heated several times. the chef had somehow managed to overcook the duck whilst still keeping the skin undercooked. We had no gravy. The pudding was not as described and not very nice. I wouldn't recommend eating here to anyone. This has to be one of the worst meals I have ever had.I think we should have all gone down the road and had a burger instead. I wont be eating there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed there for one night when visiting my son. The room was good, though I wish proprietors wouldn't close all the windows and turn radiators on in bedrooms. The first thing we nearly always have to do is turn off the radiators and open the bedroom window to get a bit of air in. What's wrong with folks nowadays? In may day we had frost on the inside of the windows, had to get dressed under the bedclothes, never did us any harm, blah blah, you know the story.

Anyway, good room and reasonable size bath. We went for a drink in the bar. The service was fairly slow, though I think the barman was a new chap. I had the local beer. Unfortunately beer in the South West hasn't improved in the 20 years or so since I lived there, watery, off taste, no wonder I used to have to drink Guiness - which I don't really like either.

There, two complaints, neither of which I blame the hotel for. They can't help having to pander to people who are nesh, nor serve local beer that is poor. They had Jennings on. Next time I will have that.

The worst only real complaint was the breakfast. I don't mind the buffet cereals and getting my own tea, but I do mind the full English consisting of utterly tasteless ingredients. The sausage was spongy bread, the bacon was Danish. Please Mr Proprietor, get some decent breakfast ingredients in.

At £63, this wasn't a bad deal - but I would be ashamed to take a foreign person for such a breakfast.

Room Tip: Be nice to the people at reception
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jake1642
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel is really charming. We stayed for one night on 14th December and to my surprise, my husband had booked the Cromwell Suite which had a beautiful 4 poster bed and a roll-top bath. We had lunch there which was very substantial and nicely presented, but unfortunately due to Christmas Party bookings were unable to get a table for dinner, as was the case at several nearby restaurants. However, we did manage to get into the Chinese restaurant just up the road, literally 100 yards, where we had probably the best Chinese food I have ever tasted (I am annoyed I cant remember the name of the restaurant and I cant find it on the internet either). Breakfast was very slow, probably due to the number of people staying from the Christmas Parties, and was not very hot when it eventually arrived. One couple actually walked out as they had been waiting so long.

The staff were extremely pleasant, the hotel was very clean and our suite was very comfortable and warm. Free car parking was a bonus and the central location was perfect. I would definitely go back again. However I do have some "constructive" criticism, which is why I have rated this hotel Good and not Excellent and that is:

1. In the bathroom there is hand wash fixed, i.e. non-removable above the sinks and in the shower again there is body wash which cannot be removed. NOTHING to put in my beautiful roll-top bath! Please provide bubble bath?

2. On checking out, no-one asked if was had enjoyed our stay or said anything like, "hope to see you again". Whilst the staff were very pleasant check out was speedy and impersonal.

3. When my husband booked the hotel we were given a 20% off all food purchased during our stay. At this point the hotel could have suggested that we make a dinner reservation to secure a booking, knowing that it was going to be a particularly busy time. Again when checking in, no information was forthcoming that the restaurant was full.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is an old hotel just down the hill from the cathedral, so very well located for exploring the city of Exeter. The inn has kept a lot of the character from the old times, with lots of wood beams, crooked walls and wonky floors and this all adds to the atmosphere of the place. Most of the rooms are located in a newer part of the building behind the main entrance. These rooms are very pleasant and spacious, with all conveniences expected from a modern hotel, including wifi. The bathrooms are simply furnished, but I add just a comment that in my room there was black mould in the corners of the bath/shower and behind the bath taps. The breakfast is good, and we did have dinner in the evening but this was not so good: two steaks, both quite tough and gristly. So I would definitely stay here again, but maybe eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple