“If you're in the area & like fish - eat here!”
Review of The Halfway Inn

The Halfway Inn
Ranked #121 of 526 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Halfway Inn, runs a tradition pub lunch menu, with a Gastro A La Carte menu for evenings, both menus specialize in Seafood with fresh daily deliveries, all our desserts are home made, even the ice cream.You will be sure to receive a warm welcome, with every member of staff ready to make your experience comfortable and memorable for all the right reasons.Thank you for taking the time to visit or write a review on Trip Advisor.
Exeter, United Kingdom
“If you're in the area & like fish - eat here!”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Having lived in the area for over 30 years, but always been put off by the look of the place I was interested to see it has had a complete renovation and emphasises daily fresh fish. It now looks like a modern, welcoming eatery, so decided to give it a try one evening.
It was what it looked like - a modern, welcoming eatery, with a very pleasant split-level restaurant and a separate bar.
It has a fairly short, but interesting menu - mainly fish, although there were dishes for non-fish eaters, plus a specials board. (Note to restaurant - we were not told by the waitresses what the specials were and there was no sign of a board in the lower part of the restaurant where we were, I had to go into the bar to find it. Suggest either we're told what they are or you have a table-top blackboard which can be brought with the menu.)

We both had scallops to start - excellent! Sweet, juicy and nicely presented. The mains were whole plaice from the specials board and moules from the menu. The plaice was superb, thick & juicy served with the usual mange-tout, carrots & broccoli plus crispy new potatoes which were all above the ordinary by being drizzled herb dressing. The moules were declared 'delicious', so after creme brulee & coffee, two extremely satisfied diners left, musing on when they could next eat there.

We went on a Tuesday evening which was reasonably quiet but I imagine it gets really busy at weekends so booking would be a good idea, certainly in the tourist season. If I'm really nit-picking then the service did seem a tad slow, even though each meal is cooked to order, but it won't put us off going back.

• Visited July 2011

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what you get.”
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Me and my husband visited this restaurant for Sunday lunch.We had sirloin beef and gammon roast very expensive for what you had ,go out every Sunday for dinner thought we would try somewhere different wouldnt go back,food lovely but well over priced.

• Visited June 2011
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, great views!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I love this place, we have just booked our table for this weekend too. The prices are quite high for certain things but the quality of food is brilliant. I had the pork belly last time which was about £14 but for a special your looking at around £19. The staff are great, service is pretty quick and always a good atmosphere! Love it

• Visited April 2011
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
“Don't Eat Here if You Are Hungry!”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My family and I had all been out for the day and were all very hungry. We stopped off at the restaurant and ordered our food. I ordered Grilled Salmon in a pepper sauce with cous cous, leeks etc. I couldn't believe my eyes when my meal arrived (it was smaller than a child's portion) and for £13.95 definately wasn't value for money. The food tasted ok, although there was so little of it I didn't really get a chance to taste it. I don't know who the hell the people who run this restaurant think they are...it's almost as if they think they are producing food for Masterchef!! It was a complete joke (even my kids were hungry after their portions). My advice is DON'T GO HERE!

• Visited March 2011