“Halfway Inn - Halfway good”
Review of The Halfway Inn

The Halfway Inn
Ranked #111 of 530 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Halfway Inn, runs a tradition pub lunch menu, with a Gastro A La Carte menu for evenings, both menus specialize in Seafood with fresh daily deliveries, all our desserts are home made, even the ice cream.You will be sure to receive a warm welcome, with every member of staff ready to make your experience comfortable and memorable for all the right reasons.Thank you for taking the time to visit or write a review on Trip Advisor.
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Halfway Inn - Halfway good”
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We visited on Sunday for lunch. The staff were all very friendly, smiley and pleasant. That for us was the major plus of the experience. We were shown to a table in what I would describe as the nice half of the restaurant - the part with the large glass window and the lovely views. We were given menus which were grubby (and they invited customers to leave feedback good or bad). We ordered drinks and then I went to the loo when I came back the food order had been taken but no drinks had arrived. Then my husband went to the loo he came back and we sat and watied and eventually the drinks arrived - about five minutes before our food..... would have been nice to have had them whilst we looked at the menu and waiting for our food to come.

The toilet was pretty disgusting - someone had been sick or something and it was down the outside of the pan, dried on. The door looked dirty - in need of a good clean and a new lock. The floors were carpeted, it all felt quite horrible. The hand dryer wasnt working but when I looked I saw a fused switch on the wall flicked it and hey presto hot air. Must have been like that all morning - we got there at 2.00 pm. Those loos had obviously not been checked either before opening or at any time during service. There were dirty nappies in the waste bin yuk (could you not provide a pedal type bin for nappies). The unpleasantness of the loos made me worry about the cleanliness of the areas I was not allowed to see...

Anyway the food arrived, my crab salad was nice not much lettuce and cold flavourless tomatoes and one little bit of old lemon to squeeze on. You cant do much to ruin a fresh crab but the presentation was not very good. I had to ask for some bread, as it was not offered. My husband ordered a chicken, ham and avocado salad. The whole thing looked like a dogs dinner, the avocado was on the verge of going off - it was mostly black, I would have thrown it in the bin at home. Once again there was not much lettuce, the presentation was appalling and off puting though he did say the ham tasted ok, but the chicken was tastless as was the thin dressing we had on our salad leaves. Once we were given our food no one came to check that everything was ok.

I think we may have orderd the wrong thing choosing salad as the comments about the food from other posts suggests it is very good. I would be interested to visit again and choose something else from the menu to see if it was better, but would not order a salad again. My husband however when we left said 'never again'.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank lilybert

Exeter, United Kingdom
“If you're in the area & like fish - eat here!”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

Having lived in the area for over 30 years, but always been put off by the look of the place I was interested to see it has had a complete renovation and emphasises daily fresh fish. It now looks like a modern, welcoming eatery, so decided to give it a try one evening.
It was what it looked like - a modern, welcoming eatery, with a very pleasant split-level restaurant and a separate bar.
It has a fairly short, but interesting menu - mainly fish, although there were dishes for non-fish eaters, plus a specials board. (Note to restaurant - we were not told by the waitresses what the specials were and there was no sign of a board in the lower part of the restaurant where we were, I had to go into the bar to find it. Suggest either we're told what they are or you have a table-top blackboard which can be brought with the menu.)

We both had scallops to start - excellent! Sweet, juicy and nicely presented. The mains were whole plaice from the specials board and moules from the menu. The plaice was superb, thick & juicy served with the usual mange-tout, carrots & broccoli plus crispy new potatoes which were all above the ordinary by being drizzled herb dressing. The moules were declared 'delicious', so after creme brulee & coffee, two extremely satisfied diners left, musing on when they could next eat there.

We went on a Tuesday evening which was reasonably quiet but I imagine it gets really busy at weekends so booking would be a good idea, certainly in the tourist season. If I'm really nit-picking then the service did seem a tad slow, even though each meal is cooked to order, but it won't put us off going back.

• Visited July 2011
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Expensive for what you get.”
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Me and my husband visited this restaurant for Sunday lunch.We had sirloin beef and gammon roast very expensive for what you had ,go out every Sunday for dinner thought we would try somewhere different wouldnt go back,food lovely but well over priced.

• Visited June 2011
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Amazing food, great views!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2011

I love this place, we have just booked our table for this weekend too. The prices are quite high for certain things but the quality of food is brilliant. I had the pork belly last time which was about £14 but for a special your looking at around £19. The staff are great, service is pretty quick and always a good atmosphere! Love it

• Visited April 2011
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
“Don't Eat Here if You Are Hungry!”
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My family and I had all been out for the day and were all very hungry. We stopped off at the restaurant and ordered our food. I ordered Grilled Salmon in a pepper sauce with cous cous, leeks etc. I couldn't believe my eyes when my meal arrived (it was smaller than a child's portion) and for £13.95 definately wasn't value for money. The food tasted ok, although there was so little of it I didn't really get a chance to taste it. I don't know who the hell the people who run this restaurant think they are...it's almost as if they think they are producing food for Masterchef!! It was a complete joke (even my kids were hungry after their portions). My advice is DON'T GO HERE!

• Visited March 2011