“Good budget hotel for visiting Exeter”

Premier Inn Exeter Central St Davids Hotel
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stay in Premier Inn above any other budget hotel. I stayed here the other night to break a long journey from Cornwall to London. Parking does not belong to the hotel, it is a station car park and costs £10 for 24 hours.You can pay by phone but otherwise carry £10 in £1 coins with you to save a stressful hunt on arrival! The hotel is right opposite the station and car park and it is all flat ground so easy to wheel cases and for limited walkers. Warm greeting at Premier Inn from staff..Room good standard of cleanliness and although a busy street it was quiet with the window closed. Thyme Restaurant seemed very popular with residents and local diners alike so no table free when I arrived. Food looked good so it is one Premier Inn which is certainly advisable to book dinner table in advance if you require it. Lovely architecture of station buildings is a plus! . .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank NIKKI B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed two nights at this hotel. The room was quite large and was good value for money. The hotel is located about 15 minutes walk from the city centre (all well signposted). There is no car parking at the hotel but there is ample parking at the railway station opposite the hotel. The website mentions the possibility of noise from the adjacent garage but we were not disturbed.
On three occasions our card keys failed to operate the security door on the corridor leading to our room. This was an irritation and was dealt with quickly by the reception staff.I don't think the "loop" hearing system is working correctly. The bar area is comfortable. We did not use the restaurant. All staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back or the side are quieter, being away from the main road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rhys71
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Great if you travelled by train as we did. Right outside Exeter St Davids station and buses to town frequent. Hotel very clean, great staff and although right next to busy road no traffic noise with the window shut. All in all good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I always stay here when visiting Exeter, it's so convenient for the station, the bus & so reliably comfortable. If you don't want to breakfast here there's an excellent Wetherspoons 5 minutes walk away.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My stay was great. I felt like I was in a 5* hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. The reception were really helpful with directing us to the cheapest parking. It was really quiet no noise from the road or train station. The restaurant was great and they did a super job with my little girl making her feel welcome. We had interconnecting rooms which made our trip even more pleasant. Didn't pay a penny for parking which was a bonus (on street parking in next road was free after 6pm until 9am and then free for 2 hours, so really helped us not to rush around). Reception provided us a map to go for a stroll into the city which was really lovely and added to our experience. I would definitely stay again at this hotel and would highly recommend it to anyone. Easy to find too.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I particularly like Previer Inns and use them often. They have obviously given great attention to what really matters most to most guests. Thus, comfortable beds, scrupulously clean rooms - especially the bathroom and toilet, and cheerful staff who engage with guests and are ready to help. I have come to take this for granted from Premier Inns, so I was particularly struck when they fail to reach their own high standards. This happened recently at the Exeter Saint Davids location, thought it was largely, though not entirely, due to one member of staff. But before I start on the negatives, I want to acknowledge the great mattress, large room, good breakfast ingrediants and the very pleasant staff - except for one.

The one in question, was on late bar duty when I arrived back from a social engagement at about 22.20 wanting a glass of red wine. After running through their offerings, the member of staff told me my selection was their only "posh wine". I found this strange rather and was not sure how to respond to his social classification of my choice. I attempted to engage him in conversation by pointing out that the main grape in the wine of my choice was also the main grape the wine he had in fact recommended. But he did not want to talk about that. Fair enough, so I retired to a distant table.

During the night, needing to use the toilet, I was struck by the smell of stale urine - and was pretty sure I was not responsible. It was unexpected in a Premier Inn room and I would not have mentioned it except that I see from previous TripAdvisor reviews that I am not the first to have experienced this problem.

The following morning, I looked forward to breakfast, knowing the usual high quality of ingrediants and the high quality of their preparation. However, there is a small problem that I have also noticed at other Premier Inns. It is that there does not seem to be anyone responsible for keeping an overall eye on the state of the buffet. This sometimes results in having to wait for trays to be replenished - a problem, but only a minor one. More irritating was the fact that the settings on the rotational toaster needed adjustment. After one rotation, a slice was barefly toasted at all. OK, give it another rotation. But after a second, it was burnt and since there was no one keeping an overall eye out for such problems, and all other staff were characteristically busy, I just decided to make the best of it. Also, no one noticed that the top of the sauce bottles needed cleaning. These are small points, but immediately noticable and easily fixed, if it were anyone's job to keep and overall eye on the details.

But as I was being seated, something happened that really put me off. I heard a gigantic sneeze. It was the sort that generates a massive spray. I turned towards the sound to see the barman from the night before crouching over the hot buffet, wiping the lower part of face with his hand. He proceded to grunt and groan his way out of the room in such a way as to emphasise his suffering and making me feel that I really did not want whatever he had. As a result, I kept well clear of that part of the buffet. I can't help but notice that in the very few negative comments about this Premier Inn in TripAdvisor reviews, a signficant proportion involve just one member of staff who simply needs more training. In this case, the training needs to be in the sensitivies of guests.

Finally, the internet connection was one of the worst I have experienced, a problem that has also been raised in other reviews. At first, it was too slow to load the login page and the first response of staff was to tell me that they would reset the router and that "this is the only thing I can suggest". I gave it time but there was no improvement. However, the staff did find another suggestion, namely for them to contact the company who provides their internet connection. They said that the internet was down but hoped it would be up and running again with an hour. It was, but was so slow I could still not login with my smart phone, and could only just about do it with my laptop.

Now, Premier Inn draw attention to their arrangements for internet connection in their promotional material and, in this case, they did not live up to their claims. The 30 minutes free connection was useless at such low speeds. But paying for longer connection would also have been very bad value for money too! I would recommend that guests for whom an internet connection is important tell the hotel that they regard this as an essential part of their contract to provide hotel services and them ask for some discount if they then have something like my experience, since the terms of their contract would not have been met. Good luck.

Otherwise, it was the typically good and efficient stay one expects from this chain.

To end on a good point, the information sent out about parking is very good, and easy to use. In their hotel in Shrewsbury for example, it was chaos on my last stay there. So I disagree with those previous reviews who criticise the Exeter Saint David's Premier Inn for this reason. In their particular location, they could not possibly have their own parking. The best they can do is tell you before you arrive where you can park, at what times/days and what it will cost you. They do that.

Room Tip: I was at the back of the hotel and it was quiet. However, there was not much noise at the front eith...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank nicholas b
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Exeter Central St Davids Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Thank you for your review. At Premier Inn it remains our main objective to provide guests with a comfortable stay and deliver a high level of service in all our establishments, both in our hotels and restaurants. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion we failed provide this. Please be assured that your comments will be duly followed up by Guest Relations and the Management Team at this hotel. We hope to welcome you back to Premier Inn in the future.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Quite a new premier inn and everything clean, working and relaxing. Friendly staff. Gave us a jug of soya milk no problem.

We had a view of st David's station, which is a nice old great western railway one.

There is a shortcut into town directly left of the hotel entrance, up a steep hill.

As a general tip for Exeter, I wouldn't bother with the high street. Go to the cathedral quarter and the river quay instead.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple