“Surprisingly quiet and comfortable”

Premier Inn Exeter Central St Davids Hotel
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Reviewed 8 July 2014

In town for a family wedding, we stayed here and later at a B&B. Although the B&B was more aesthetically pleasing, the Premier Inn was much more comfortable, quiet & clean (big plusses for a pregnant lady!). It was conveniently located right across the street from the train station, and the walk into town was pleasant and easy (perhaps a little steep at parts for some) – about 15-20 min. max. No frills, of course, but met our basic needs and I would stay definitely here again. Right now they only offer a half hour of wifi for free, which is a little inconvenient.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

As always the room and hotel was clean and well designed/stocked. Staff very helpful and informative. Just a note to management- please advertise for special dietary needs, I am gluten free and your staff were great but if I wasn't staying there I wouldnt eat there as you do not state on your menu what is gluten free (and you had more than I thought!).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

2 night stay. We were given exactly what we had requested: an end of corridor room, at the back, on the top floor. Thank you! We got what it says on the tin: excellent nights' sleeps, at a budget price with a buffet breakfast. 2 very satisfied customers.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed a Saturday night with 3 children - family room quiet and clean. Reception staff very friendly and helpful on arrival, and breakfast team similarly very helpful and accommodating. Hotel is conveniently located and there is free on street parking opposite hotel (overnight and until 11am Sunday). Excellent breakfast buffet caters for all tastes and appetites.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the Exeter St Davids Premier Inn a couple of weeks ago whilst attending a university Open Day with my son. The hotel is immediately opposite Central St Davids train station. Check in was smooth and the receptionist friendly. At check in we were advised, as the hotel was full, to book a table in the restaurant if we wanted to eat dinner there. We asked for a table at 6.30pm. However, when we went to the restaurant in the evening for our meal, they had no record of our reservation. Apparently the receptionist had not passed the information on. Fortunately we arrived early at the restaurant and they were able to fit us in. The food and service in the restaurant was very good. My son had a curry dish and I had a veggie burger. All very fresh and tasty. We had a drink in the bar afterwards. The drink prices are reasonable and the bartender (I believe he was called Chris) was very efficient and friendly.

Our room was spotlessly clean and comfortable as usual. It was made up as a twin, this being one double bed and a sofa/single bed. I took the smaller bed and it was extremely comfortable. We had a very good nights sleep experiencing no noise. Breakfast in the morning was buffet style, with lots of choice and of good quality.

The hotel is well situated for visits to the university. It is a very steep walk up to the university however so some may prefer to take a taxi.

Would I recommend this hotel? Definitely. A comfortable, safe, reasonably priced hotel. The glitch with the dinner reservation was purely and oversight, let's face it, we all forget things sometimes.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank screenager
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here for one night. The hotel is very handily situated directly opposite st David's station.
Very popular with business people and it was totally full when I stayed. Rooms, service, value were all good and of the usual high quality I have now come to expect from the premier inn brand.
If I was staying more than 2 nights I would probably not choose this hotel, but for a 1 or 2 nighter this is perfect.

Room Tip: Avoid the road side rooms as they can be noisy.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Was here last week for a 1 night stay. Was early (ie pre 2pm+ check-in) and just asked to check my bags so I could get off to the City (for an Exeter Red Coat tour) but they were enthusiastic about getting me checked in anyway = ie very welcoming.

Couldn't be more convenient for Exeter St David's railway station - ie across the entrance car park and next to the 20 minute 'uphill' walk to City centre.

Otherwise everything you'd expect from a Premier Inn.

Only two negatives I'd raise about the hotel:
- my room on the North side of hotel had weak 2G mobile reception on my EE, O2 & Vodafone devices, although once outside the hotel my phone was back to full 3G+. I suspect that the lie of the land (the hotel within a hillside to some extent) and hotel construction materials may be at play here.
- it is obviously very convenient for Exeter St Davids railway station, and while a return train ticket for the 2 mins to Exeter Central is cheap, just 70p with a Network card at weekend, there are some long gaps in the timetable - eg 20 minutes = the same as long/uphill walk+.

Local drink/eatery tip: Follow the uphill walk towards the City Centre, across the zebra crossing and to your left is a very large JD Wetherspoons pub in its own grounds just 5 mins walk away.

Room Tip: If you need good mobile phone reception, maybe worth speaking to reception staff about the issue and...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo