“Sumptuous”

Unspeakable elegance

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank JohnStockerStatue

Reviewed 15 May 2012

Was really looking forward to going here for a meal. Menu wasn't great and food was a medium standard although the place itself is stunning it lacked atmosphere. Also had a rude comment from a member of staff when I was left alone at the table saying that my choice of Chicken and dumplings was a good choice as it had minus 4 calories in it!! (im very small) I'm sure this was some sort of joke but I was a bit offended which I suppose ruined my night.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Dani R
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I usually stay in the same hotel when I come to Exeter to visit my family but this time I thought I would break the mould and stay here. I had heard mixed reviews but thought I would try it to see for myself. I was very disappointed with the food and the service. The hotel is beautiful and the room was very comfortable (although would've been nice to have a wardrobe). But I don't think I will be going back because it was overpriced especially for the food, drink and service we received. Our waitress was cutting and seemed uninterested in being there. A little advice if I may. A smile goes a long way. Think I will stick to where I usually stay as it always ticks every box.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank CheekyMonkeyOxford
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stopped on 2nd May as original choice of Mercure down the road moved me here due to electrical issues. Really happy with my stay, top quality facilities in the room. Both dinner and breakfast were excellent quality.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Southernhay house is a pleasure to visit. I dined there last night and as always the food was excellent, the staff professional and welcoming. It is a beautiful building in a great location.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I decided to treat my London based family to my favourite restaurant in Exeter, which is Southernhay House. The whole party were really impressed by the stylish interiors, ambiance and the delicious creative menu served by charming staff. We look forward to our return visit very soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I give this a 3 because the place looks and feels amazing. If only the food and service lived up to this it could be a 4 or 5. Frequent visitor at first I gave it a few chances but always something wrong, overcooked snails (like rubber) overcooked bland pigeon, lacking in flavour, over priced for the area quality and service. Thought the bar might replace the wine bar as the locals bar but massively overpriced, lacking in atmosphere and inexperienced bar staff (eg best part of £10 for a bloody Mary). Very good olives though, a real shame this one...

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business