“Amazing wedding night stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Southernhay House Hotel
Ranked #20 of 31 Hotels in Exeter
Devon
“Amazing wedding night stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

This hotel is fabulous, my husband organised a stay here for our wedding night, he mistook the name on the way there & I wasn't looking forward to where I thought we were going but had a very pleasant surprise when we arrived! We were welcomed as mr & mrs the room was amazing I especially liked the huge bath at the end of the bed & the smarties with the coffee cups! Breakfast arrived spot on time to our door & the staff where very respectful to our privacy. They even let us park a car my husband had arranged for us to go home in for 2 nights even though we only stayed for 1. Would definitely recommend & as we don't live that far look forward to returning for dinner one evening.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
southernhayhouse, Owner at Southernhay House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2013
And it was our pleasure. You don't add that the car in question was a red TT - always a pleasure to have a classic in the drive. I'm not going to ask where you thought you were going, I'll just compliment your husband on his excellent taste in hotels and wife and hope to see you both again whenever you need a bolt hole in town.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Seaford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

We have have been here for lunch on several occasions and dinner too. The food is excellent, the service also very good. The bar is well stocked and their Garden Martini Cocktail is the best drink I have ever had!!

The decor is great too, although the only criticism I have is that with the high ceiling and wooden floors in the dining room, if it is busy the noise level can be overpowering, especially if you have a table of 'enthusiastic' diners nearby.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your great review and for your regular custom. Our Garden Martini was a popular summer staple - so check out our winter specials soon. You're right about the Dining Room being noisy at times; I have tried to address this with curtains and canvas pictures but there's no getting away from classical Geogian architecture so please always ask to be moved if the table next door gets a little "enthusiastic". Hoping to see you back soon.
Newport, Gwent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at the 'Southernhay' with my husband. Stayed in the Wilberforce room albeit a small room it certainly made up for it in quality and luxury. The room had tea/coffee, water and smarties!! also fresh milk brought to your room The Hotel is also in a great location as it's only a 2 minute walk to the Cathedral and town center. The staff are very efficient and friendly, and the breakfast was fantastic. Would definitely recommend the Hotel and would love to return soon!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
southernhayhouse, Owner at Southernhay House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you so much for your review and your fine (and naturally very tasteful) appreciation of our Wilberforce Room: small but perfectly formed with great views over the Southernhay Gardens. I'm glad that you enjoyed the location and the smarties (I'm debating wine gums in the alternative but are they really as iconic as smarties?). We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
worcs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

A grand hotel in a superb location, the Southernhay House is set in a quiet regency street only 2 minutes stroll from the cathedral. On entering the hall we were pleasantly pleased with the décor, in keeping with the period but with a modern twist.
Our room- cotton, was beautifully appointed with a splendidly deep freestanding bath as the immediate focus and neutral décor throughout. The 'shabby chic'ers had been busy on the bedside tables! Once settled in we explored the city centre which via the cathedral park area was minutes away. There is an excellent John Lewis in the High Street with a rather nice roof top café serving fabulous carrot cake. Also worth a visit is the museum and art gallery (near M&S) and is comparable with some London galleries.
Our evening meal was just what we needed after a busy day of travelling and exploring. Cocktails were first taken on the outside terrace within a quiet leafy glade to the rear of the hotel. The menu contained a mix of hearty and lighter choices- the fish and chips were the best my husband has ever tasted.
We slept well in our super king-size bed and woke early (as we normally do) helped along by a council leaf-blower outside! The manager we saw was speaking to him and trying to delay proceedings to no avail unfortunately.
Breakfast was super with a good mix of quality 'help yourself' items and well cooked hot food. If passing though Exeter again we will certainly make a re-visit. Thank you to all the staff for their amazing hospitality. We loved staying with you!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
And we loved having you as our guests! What your review so nicely highlights is just how walkable and easy Exeter is as a city and how easy it is to while away an afternoon shopping and mooching around the museum and cathedral before the necessary cocktails back here.
Cotton does, indeed, have one of the largest beds in the hotel (6'6") and so perfect for lounging on while your partner takes a long deep bath in front of the TV! We look forward to welcoming you back I hope on future visits.
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Went to the hotel for a belated birthday dinner on Saturday 3rd August with my family. Had drinks in the bar to start with good cocktails which in a small town like Exeter is good to find. We had a great dinner, the scallops were perfectly cooked and as I had my young niece with us it was fantastic to see the staff were more than accommodating and willing to go out their way to provide smaller portions and the even offered to make what ever they could that wasn't on the menu for my young niece, now that is goo customer service, some other places in Exeter could learn a lot from that. All in all a brilliant first time experience and would happily recommend and re visit the hotel on my next trip down from London. Well done SHH you got it spot on.
Only one slight criticism would be that bar table service was rather slow meaning I had to go and order at the bar but that's hardly a deal breaker.
Darran from London

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi there, thank you for your lovely review. We were delighted to host your family dinner and loved the cards with your niece! Sorry if table service was a little slow; it can get quiet busy at times at weekends and we do try and pace things but not always perfectly......and Happy Birthday! Hoping to see you here for the next one.
N.S.W. Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed at Southernhay House a boutique hotel near the cathedral in June in the Tulip room, and so enjoyed our experience that we returned in July and were given the Chai room. Both were lovely however I did prefer the first but then I believe it was a little more expensive. The welcome was personal and efficient we realized that they genuinely were interested in us as guests and helping us with suggestion about a visit to Exeter and then onto Cornwell. They have a small but extremely well run bar for a drink before dinner and the dinner was so good we would not have contemplated eating anywhere outside the hotel on our return. Breakfast too was perfect.

Room Tip: Tulip but second choice could be silk
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking time to write your lovely review and I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stays in Tulip and in Chai. Perhaps peversely, I prefer Chai - but Tulip certainly has that "wow" appeal that only space and a huge bed can provide (they are both on the same aspect, though, so both South facing and sunny).
Our staff are all Exeter based and so very familiar with the City and ready and happy to arrange anything concierge-like for our guests so please always ask; there's a lot going on in Exeter and it's very accessible and we'd like to share it with future guests!
poole
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at this elegant hotel only a few minutes walk from the Cathedral Green. Throughout our stay we always felt that on returning to the hotel was rather akin to coming home with its friendly atmosphere and warm welcomes from the staff.
The rooms were elegantly furnished with super large comfortable beds and complimentary Wi fi, tea/coffee, bottled water and even a tube of Smarties. The rooms also had a huge Samsung TV on the wall opposite the bed with even 3D capability! Trim phones gave the bed side tables a touch of nostalgia. Our original room 'Cotton' had a large stand alone bath in the room below the TV., with a good shower and toilet with a glass door behind the adjacent wall. This arrangement was not to my personal choice so we moved to a larger adjacent room named Sugar. The bathroom in 'Sugar' was excellent. It was separated from the bedroom by an open area with a writing desk, and housed another huge stand alone bath, together with a similar good shower and toilet but with two hand basins. It was £20 a day more expensive but, for me, well worth it. The luxury bath robes and bathroom towels were excellent.

I got the impression that the rooms were designed with the business traveller in mind as, although there were a large number of wall sockets for computers etc., there was very little storage space which was my big niggle. There were two drawers available for clothes and no enclosed hanging space. The minimal hanging facility was in fact a 'coat rack' on the wall with five pegs. This is probably fine for one night but no good for a longer stay.
Our big disappointment was the food. We dined in on our first night with two more family members. I thought that the menu we were offered seemed rather dull. However things got worse when one of the starters, scallops on a pea puree, appeared as a single scallop on a small amount of puree in a tiny bowl that I thought, at first, was a small complimentary starter! The remainder of the food including my 'fish and chips' was OK but the meal generally was mediocre.
This is a lovely, friendly and centrally placed hotel to which we would certainly return but perhaps not dine in.

Room Tip: Sugar is excellent and with two coat racks!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your generous review. First, the hanging space: I'm afraid I'm an inventerate light traveller so I take responsibility for the coat hooks here, which are bespoke. We have, however, just ordered a portable clothes rail which can be moved around to accomodate the longer stay as I fully understand (and very much welcome) guests for longer periods - indeed it should be your home from home in Exeter.
To the food, I'm sorry you felt the menu dull: this is our new Classics Menu, changing seasonally but having a range of English classics with a modern twist. We also have a dedicated Friday and Saturday night menu and, just in the last couple of weeks, our two Apprentices have started a Specials Menu which changes weekly and has their favourite dishes on it. There should have been a multitude of choice and it's our fault this was not fully explained, so my apologies - please do eat with us again should you stay!