“First visit for several years.”
Review of Ship Inn

Ship Inn
Ranked #165 of 530 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$16 - US$23
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 16th century inn where Sir Francis Drake used to frequent.
Taunton, United Kingdom
“First visit for several years.”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Trying to find somewhere quick to eat on a Sunday lunchtime, we dived into here. It has changed considerably from when I last visited which was admittedly several years ago. The atmoshere is rather 'over-done' with a wealth of 'olde-worldy' beams and bits and pieces, which somehow do not convey authenticity. We ordered food from a Wotherspoon-type menu, and decided on the all day breakfast, for quickness. The meal took over forty minutes to arrive. The place was busy, but not crowded, and not everyone was eating, by any means. The waitress apologised for the delay, which was due to some sort of mix-up in the kitchen. I guess that in fact the meal had been sitting in the dumb waiter for some time, because the sausages were warm, but the eggs, bacon, and other bits and pieces, tomato, mushroom, beans, etc were all cold. The bacon was served with congealed grease in the rashers, of which there were admittedly three, all stuck together. For the price, this was very disappointing, and I felt over-charged for what I had. With two drinks the bill came to over £25, I am afraid it may be several years before I return.

• Visited October 2013

Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Bad experience”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

I visited here for lunch on a Friday with my boyfriend. Atmosphere is pretty good,it was fairly busy. Sat down and picked up a menu that just reeked of alcohol,but I got over that pretty quickly. We both chose to have the deli deal which is a pretty good deal (sandwich,side and drink for £6). My boyfriend went to order our food,came back with drinks and then realised both glasses were dirty,mine complete with lipstick marks. Not great! I went for the 'hand battered fish fingers' in a sandwich,it came out and wasn't so much fish fingers as a piece of battered fish cut into pieces. Fine,until I bit into my sandwich and found bone after bone after bone..I managed half a sandwich and 7 bones before taking it back. The batman/waiter/manager?couldn't have been more apologetic,replacing my meal and refunding my money which was great service. Got my new sandwich (different filling,no bones!) and the happy looking waitress came over and asked "how's the new sandwich?more to your liking?are you enjoying that one more?"which irritated me,I explained that yes,this sandwich was better thank you as there was no bones in this one and I had a much slimmer chance of choking on a bone I couldn't see and dying.(slightly dramatic perhaps) with a big smile on her face and a patronising tone she replied "ohhh,when it said fish fingers you thought frozen fish fingers,not lovely fresh fish?!" I was pretty annoyed,I'm not some idiot who expects birds eye fish fingers wherever I go,but no-one should ever bite into a sandwich and be at risk of choking on a bone,surely. Anyway,I won't be back.

Exeter, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Lovely old pub. Friendly staff and great surroundings. Visited with my husband and ordered a burger, "Surf, Turf, and Chirp" ! Best burger ever! Beef burger, chicken breast burger and scampi served with chips and salad and relish. Served on a wooden platter. All for £10 each! Friendly and efficient service.

We will be going back soon!

London, United Kingdom
“A good pub in a great location”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This delightful old pub nestles away in a narrow alley between the beautiful and historic Cathedral Close and one of the main shopping streets.

It is a short walk from abundant parking; the main bus station and not one, but two main line railway stations linked to London Paddington and London Waterloo.

This Greene King estate pub provides good food all day in comfortable surroundings.

It also offers a reasonably wide range of cask and bottled ales, along with a wine and spirits selection of some note.

The service is usually both friendly and efficient and this helps to ensure that the experience is one worth repeating.

Thoroughly recommended

2 Thank Bennettonbeer
London, United Kingdom
“Historic pub well worth a visit”
Reviewed 10 September 2013